Romney: The Simple Truth
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 12:11:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Romney: The Simple Truth
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Romney: The Simple Truth  (Read 1064 times)
Progressive
jro660

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 26, 2010, 04:39:53 PM »

As much as I dislike Romney and his politics, I really feel that he is all but running for the 2012 GOP nod already. But the fact of the matter is, if I were a Republican, I would be repulsed by the idea of Romney as my nominee.

Will the GOP nominate Romney? I really do not see him winning the primaries at all. He is a lousy campaigner, but a good fundraiser.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 04:42:06 PM »

I doubt it.

See what fundraising did for Giuliani, Forbes, and Connally.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 04:48:24 PM »

He may be crap, but is Huckabee or Palin really that much better. Personally, i'd be happier with Romney in the White House than Huck or Palin anyday. Although, i'd support Obama against any of the three.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 04:51:54 PM »

He may be crap, but is Huckabee or Palin really that much better. Personally, i'd be happier with Romney in the White House than Huck or Palin anyday. Although, i'd support Obama against any of the three.

With Romney you atleast have a chance of him having some 8th political re-awakening on a critical issue. Tongue
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 05:12:31 PM »

If I were a Republican I'd probably not want him as my nominee. There's clear evidence that he supported the "unconstitutional" HC mandate before it became part of Obamacare, he described himself as more pro-choice than Kennedy, he used to support strong gun laws, and so on. He might have flip flopped to more conservative stances now, but the question is, do Republicans want someone who used to be more liberal than Harold Ford, Ben Nelson, and several other Democrats as their nominee in 2012? How can someone who we have on video endorsing the idea of a federal mandate to buy Health Insurace, be the champion against it?

Anyone who runs against Mitt in 12 will make sure to use these weaknesses to their own advantage and attack Romey on his "former" stances. I very much doubt that Romey will be able to pull out winning from this one.

Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 05:24:52 PM »

I doubt it.

Romney's already done better than them all combined his first time around.
RosettaStoned
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.45, S: -5.91

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 05:27:39 PM »

I can't see Romney as the nominee.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 05:34:33 PM »

I doubt it.

Romney's already done better than them all combined his first time around.
Yes, because of a weak field.

The 2012 field will atleast be a little stronger, and Mitt Romney has shown himself to be a little weak in the debates.
DS0816
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 05:48:15 PM »

As much as I dislike Romney and his politics, I really feel that he is all but running for the 2012 GOP nod already. But the fact of the matter is, if I were a Republican, I would be repulsed by the idea of Romney as my nominee.

Will the GOP nominate Romney? I really do not see him winning the primaries at all. He is a lousy campaigner, but a good fundraiser.

If he has the most money…he'll be the frontrunner.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2010, 06:35:29 PM »

A good fiscally conservative candidate is needed. When people realize Romney is not that, then they will look for someone who is.
auburntiger
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.61, S: 0.65

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010, 07:22:25 PM »

A good fiscally conservative candidate is needed. When people realize Romney is not that, then they will look for someone who is.

Mitch Daniels, or Paul Ryan?
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2010, 07:38:21 PM »

I don't think Paul Ryan has a chance at getting the nomination.

Mitch Daniels has a much better shot thanks to the clip of Romney's endorsement of the HC mandate.

Sarah Palin is a joke, Huckabee is only a little better. I'd prefer Romney to all of them because he's a closet liberal.

Gingrich is a dying flame...Pawlenty strikes me as incredibly dull.

I'm not sure who has the best chance at beating Obama, but right now Pawlenty or Daniels has the best shot at the Republican nomination.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2010, 08:01:51 PM »

Last time around it is clear that conservatives, especially establishment conservatives endorsed people like Giulini, McCain, and Romney and didn't even think of endorsing Huckabee. Even if it meant supporting someone a little less conservative then themselves. Even among talk radio hosts Glenn Beck, Rush, and Hannity whom most would think would support Huckabee all ended up against him. Beck was very pro-Romney, Rush eviscerated Huck on the air and Hannity voted for Romney in the NY primary; The big three radio hosts are, ironically, a part of the GOP establishment and not the way you think. Huck was the anti-establishment candidate and they opposed him. They saw something about it, or new something that scarred the hell out of them. This is why Romney is now the front runner or considered as such. Because in a race against Huckabee, they will rally to Romney. Palin adds a new element to the mix that could change things.

However supposing that neither runs, I think Romney is f**ked, plan and simple. Someone like Mitch Daniels would easily get the Romney supporters behind him as well as the GOP establishment. By being a conservative Governor, he would win the teapartiers, the social conservatives, and the suburban conservative vote. He wouldn't scare away indies like a Huck, or a Palin would. If Romney is not the nominee, Daniels is the one I could support the easiest.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2010, 08:32:02 PM »

As Rush would say, Beck supported Romney because he's a Mormon.  The most important arbiter is Roger Ailes and if Romney is the frontrunner and polling well in NH, FOX will destroy him heading into Iowa.  If you think FOX is going to let this show end in January and leave all that cash on the table, I gotta Fair and Balanced story about Obama to sell you.  I'll even give you two for one and throw in one about RomneyCare if you want. 

Rush will push Palin.  He's a horny, greedy man who couldn't care less if Obama is re-elected which a Palin nomination would probably ensure.  President Obama is good business for O'Reilly, Rush, Hannity and most importantly FOX.

Huckabee is the only host who will endorse Huckabee.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2010, 08:41:48 PM »

I do not trust anyone with strong socially conservative leanings. That always takes the place of fiscal conservatism. So, we could end up with a Bush or Palin.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2010, 08:44:34 PM »

I do not trust anyone with strong socially conservative leanings. That always takes the place of fiscal conservatism. So, we could end up with a Bush or Palin.

Oh, too bad there's no chance GOP base would vote for anyone socially not conservative Tongue
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2010, 08:45:55 PM »

Oh, too bad there's no chance GOP base would vote for anyone socially not conservative Tongue

Moderately conservative is okay...
auburntiger
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.61, S: 0.65

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2010, 10:15:42 AM »

I'm beginning to jump on the Mitch Daniels bandwagon...a two-term fiscally conservative governor who's not radical on social issues and doesn't have personal baggage, or anything I know about. Not sure about charisma though, but Indiana would be a lock (as it should always be for the GOP).
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2010, 03:41:14 PM »

Yeah, I would like to vote for Johnson in the primary, but I am not ruling out voting for Daniels in the general.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2010, 05:42:26 PM »

I would support Obama over Huckabee.  I may support Palin over Obama.

I would vote for Romney over Obama.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies