Republicans: Threats and violence against Democrats is their own fault.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:24:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Republicans: Threats and violence against Democrats is their own fault.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Republicans: Threats and violence against Democrats is their own fault.  (Read 1411 times)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 27, 2010, 06:39:03 PM »
« edited: March 27, 2010, 06:42:02 PM by Snowguy716 »

We have John Boehner pre-empting his condemnation of the threats and attacks with "they are extremely upset at the Democrats' tactics"

And Newt Gingrich coming out saying the Democrats should take responsibility for the threats since their passing health care was actually the culprit.

A commenter on MNPublius.com put it exactly right:

Doesn’t the Republican response to their followers over-reacting to the over reaching rhetoric sound like a battering husbands defense of beating his wife? “The bitch deserved it. She talked back to me. She didn’t get dinner on the table the way I wanted it. She knows she could have avoided the beating if she would have just done what she was told for once. I don’t understand how she doesn’t get such a simple idea… its’ all her fault.”

Edit:  Gingrich's text
I think the Democratic leadership has to take some moral responsibility for having behaved with such arrogance, in such a hostile way, that the American people are deeply upset. So let’s be honest with this. This is a game that they’re playing. People should not engage in personal threats. I’m happy to condemn any effort to engage in personal threats. But I think the Democratic leadership has to take some real responsibility for having run a machine that used corrupt tactics, that bought votes, that bullied people, and as a result has enraged much of the American people. And I think it’d be nice for President Obama, Speaker Pelosi, and Majority Leader Reid to take some responsibility over what their actions have done to this country.

Extra Bonus From Michele "Batsh**t Crazy" Bachmann.. this time more of her completely made up rants:

“It is really quite sobering what has happened. From 100% of our economy was private prior to September of 2008, but as of Tuesday, the federal government has now taken ownership or control of 51% of the private economy.

Man.. at this rate, the government will control 104% of the economy within 2 years!
xavier110
United States
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 06:58:45 PM »

LOL, Sarah Palin says they're creations of the media.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 07:56:12 PM »

We have John Boehner pre-empting his condemnation of the threats and attacks with "they are extremely upset at the Democrats' tactics"

And Newt Gingrich coming out saying the Democrats should take responsibility for the threats since their passing health care was actually the culprit.

Doesn’t the Republican response to their followers over-reacting to the over reaching rhetoric sound like a battering husbands defense of beating his wife? “The bitch deserved it. She talked back to me. She didn’t get dinner on the table the way I wanted it. She knows she could have avoided the beating if she would have just done what she was told for once. I don’t understand how she doesn’t get such a simple idea… its’ all her fault.”

Edit:  Gingrich's text
I think the Democratic leadership has to take some moral responsibility for having behaved with such arrogance, in such a hostile way, that the American people are deeply upset. So let’s be honest with this. This is a game that they’re playing. People should not engage in personal threats. I’m happy to condemn any effort to engage in personal threats. But I think the Democratic leadership has to take some real responsibility for having run a machine that used corrupt tactics, that bought votes, that bullied people, and as a result has enraged much of the American people. And I think it’d be nice for President Obama, Speaker Pelosi, and Majority Leader Reid to take some responsibility over what their actions have done to this country.

Extra Bonus From Michele "Batsh**t Crazy" Bachmann.. this time more of her completely made up rants:

“It is really quite sobering what has happened. From 100% of our economy was private prior to September of 2008, but as of Tuesday, the federal government has now taken ownership or control of 51% of the private economy.

Man.. at this rate, the government will control 104% of the economy within 2 years!

A note if I may:
Our economy was 100% private prior to September of 2008? Is Bachmann on crack?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 08:03:12 PM »

No; the government did not have any control of the economy prior to the corporate bail-outs.

This is why people are so concerned about Obama's communism.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 09:10:29 PM »

Gingrich is out of line, and Bachmann's comment is just dumb.
Free Trade is managed by the invisible hand.
HoffmanJohn
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2010, 09:23:28 PM »

lol Republicans are turning into fascists.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2010, 09:36:39 PM »

lol Republicans are turning into fascists.

Nope - look up the word "fascist" and try again.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2010, 10:09:20 PM »

Republicans aren't fascists.. a great many of them are just knee-jerk reactionary nationalists.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2010, 10:11:18 PM »

Republicans aren't fascists.. a great many of them are just knee-jerk reactionary nationalists.

Now that I could agree with.
Free Trade is managed by the invisible hand.
HoffmanJohn
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2010, 10:13:25 PM »

The Three elements of a fascist personality.
1) identifying their opponent as the "other", and than calling them derogatory names.
2) Anti-intellectualism( sorry folks but climate change is pretty real, and is evolution)
3) possessing Authoritarian personality traits, and reminiscing about the past.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2010, 10:25:44 PM »
« Edited: March 27, 2010, 10:28:47 PM by Torie »

The Three elements of a fascist personality.
1) identifying their opponent as the "other", and than calling them derogatory names.
2) Anti-intellectualism( sorry folks but climate change is pretty real, and is evolution)
3) possessing Authoritarian personality traits, and reminiscing about the past.

Hitler actually was quite intellectual (yes some "intellectuals" are monsters). And he hated much about the past. It simply is the wrong term to use. Fascism indeed is such a vague term, that it does lend itself as an epithet, but it has more to due with disliking democracy, and  extreme nationalism, with militaristic and irredentist tendencies, and yes it does tend usually to demonize some "other" as a scapegoat.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2010, 10:27:55 PM »

Roll Eyes.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2010, 12:45:08 AM »

100% of our economy was private last week? 

Now the federal government owns 51%?

What was the government spending money on before healthcare reform?

Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2010, 12:49:57 AM »

( sorry folks but climate change is pretty real

Most Republicans wouldn't argue otherwise.
Magic 8-Ball
mrk
YaBB God
Czech Republic

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2010, 01:22:56 AM »

You know, it would behoove the Republicans to make as few inflammatory statements as possible.  Statements like these only serve to push sane people away.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2010, 01:31:34 AM »

And yet the GOP wonders why they are still unpopular.
cannonia
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.42, S: -1.30

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2010, 01:46:14 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Right on.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2010, 04:10:01 AM »

I don't think that the Democrats have had any trouble taking responsibility for the passage of HCR.

I mean.. what do you expect?  Them to go and apologize to the small, very angry minority that are kicking and screaming like 4 year olds?

I think Republicans are just angry because they hate everything the Democrats are doing and they know it won't result in a massive victory for them.  That's got to be incredibly frustrating...
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2010, 04:52:38 AM »
« Edited: March 28, 2010, 04:54:23 AM by money can't bunny »

Edit:  Gingrich's text

A note if I may:
I would really wish people stopped insulting crack addicts.

EDIT after reading whole tread: And four year olds. And fascists.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2010, 11:04:43 AM »

I wish you were right, but I'm afraid the majority of our folks would - at least the ones who vote in primaries and/or hold elected positions.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2010, 11:49:33 AM »

Many Democrats probably said the same about Iraq war people. Get over it, it's politics, the Democrats should stop acting like victims, it's pathetic really.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2010, 01:29:33 PM »

Many Democrats probably said the same about Iraq war people. Get over it, it's politics, the Democrats should stop acting like victims, it's pathetic really.

What are you talking about?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2010, 09:46:54 PM »

Presumably, Xahar, he is putting forward that members of Congress getting assassination threats are just acting like victims for political gain.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2010, 09:55:49 PM »

Some political games are being played here in my opinion. I mean, what are you supposed to do if you strongly oppose some action by the other party and denounce it, and some nutters get so off on it, that they threaten violence?  Shut up?  I don't think so. That is why we have law enforcement, to run these nutters down, and deal with them.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2010, 11:14:57 AM »

Some political games are being played here in my opinion. I mean, what are you supposed to do if you strongly oppose some action by the other party and denounce it, and some nutters get so off on it, that they threaten violence?  Shut up?  I don't think so. That is why we have law enforcement, to run these nutters down, and deal with them.

Political speech is analog, not digital. You don't have to "shut up" to fall short of the rhetorical excesses of Palin, Bachmann, and Nunes that talk in the language of armed rebellion.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies