Teens Indicted for Alleged Bullying Deaths
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:22:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Teens Indicted for Alleged Bullying Deaths
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Teens Indicted for Alleged Bullying Deaths  (Read 1417 times)
TheGreatOne

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 30, 2010, 04:04:19 PM »

This has been a crazy news story with even crazier solutions to fight bullying in schools.  Many school bullying incidents aren't as bad as many television personalities are portraying this case.  Not by a long shot.  The suggestion that we need to start arresting and convicting children for pushing,teasing, shoving, kicking, and punching other students on a regular basis is absurd.  This kind of behavior can be handled by the staff.  Unfortunately, teachers were asleep at the wheel in this case.   

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/03/30/massachusetts.bullying.suicide/index.html?hpt=T2
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 04:35:14 PM »

Ah, yes, the Irish girl story.

The suggestion that we need to start arresting and convicting children for pushing,teasing, shoving, kicking, and punching other students on a regular basis is absurd.

It's not tolerated in "the real world," why should it be tolerated among students?

Just try to go and punch one of your coworkers in the face and take his wallet and see how fast you get A. fired and B. prosecuted.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 04:39:31 PM »

It's not tolerated in "the real world," why should it be tolerated among students?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 04:43:34 PM »

The suggestion that we need to start arresting and convicting children for pushing,teasing, shoving, kicking, and punching other students on a regular basis is absurd.

Assault is assault - the sooner kids learn this, the better.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 04:43:55 PM »

I think they should absolutely be prosecuted and sent to special jail-schools.
TheGreatOne

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 04:52:26 PM »

Ah, yes, the Irish girl story.

Just try to go and punch one of your coworkers in the face and take his wallet and see how fast you get A. fired and B. prosecuted.
Yeah, but a child's behavior can be corrected by teachers and principals.  You don't need to scar children by convicting them with a crime and placing them in correction centers.  Many children mellow out as they reach adulthood.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 04:55:31 PM »

Yeah, but a child's behavior can be corrected by teachers and principals. 

Actually no, they can't.  How could they do this?  They cannot beat the child, and they cannot control much about the child's life outside the school.  Essentially all they can do is put the child 'in detention' or temporarily send the child home. 

It really is exhausting the way people always want to assume that educators can take care of all society's ills on the cheap and easy.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 06:09:29 PM »

As weird as it is to find myself in agreement with opebo, he said it.  Saying that "the teachers" should discipline clearly criminal acts is putting a burden of responsibility on them that they shouldn't have to bear.  Are teachers deputized into the city police force when they get their license?  Of course not!
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 06:14:17 PM »

As weird as it is to find myself in agreement with opebo, he said it.  Saying that "the teachers" should discipline clearly criminal acts is putting a burden of responsibility on them that they shouldn't have to bear.  Are teachers deputized into the city police force when they get their license?  Of course not!

Besides some parents... do not react well to criticism of them and their children. When Grandma was a teacher in a rural school in the 50s one parent tried to run her over. With a tractor.
justW353
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.83

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 06:23:14 PM »

I live a mile away from South Hadley, so let me tell you first hand, it's getting bad.  It was bad in January, but it's really big now.  I'm glad to see this going national.  What those kids did caused the death of a 15 year old.  It's time that an example is made that when these kids bully, it can lead to alot of problems.

The problem is with that school.  The local news stories cover it; the administration knew about the problems in the school, and did nothing.  The teachers knew about the problems in the school, and did nothing.

Sad story.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 06:26:24 PM »

I live a mile away from South Hadley, so let me tell you first hand, it's getting bad.  It was bad in January, but it's really big now.  I'm glad to see this going national.  What those kids did caused the death of a 15 year old.  It's time that an example is made that when these kids bully, it can lead to alot of problems.

The problem is with that school.  The local news stories cover it; the administration knew about the problems in the school, and did nothing.  The teachers knew about the problems in the school, and did nothing.

Sad story.

I've been following it here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3260274

I have never seen the goons of the Something Awful Forums be so empathetic about anything.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2010, 06:34:16 PM »

My mom likes to look up people's criminal records in the public court records. Most of the bullies from my school days have committed crimes now and been in prison. My schools didn't exactly turn a blind eye to bullying like some obviously do but there was no arrests or criminal penalties.

One thing that always bugged me was very nice kids caught with alcohol or marijuana actually going to court while the bullies just got detention or a day or two of suspension.

Anyway I mostly agree with what Mikado said.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2010, 06:42:32 PM »

This has been a crazy news story with even crazier solutions to fight bullying in schools.  Many school bullying incidents aren't as bad as many television personalities are portraying this case.  Not by a long shot.  The suggestion that we need to start arresting and convicting children for pushing,teasing, shoving, kicking, and punching other students on a regular basis is absurd.  This kind of behavior can be handled by the staff.  Unfortunately, teachers were asleep at the wheel in this case.   

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/03/30/massachusetts.bullying.suicide/index.html?hpt=T2

That's about what I would expect someone who had never been bullied to say...
TheGreatOne

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2010, 06:54:00 PM »

That's about what I would expect someone who had never been bullied to say...
I've been bullied in school.  I've been pushed, teased, and had stuff thrown at me.  I sometimes cried when I got home, but I don't want those people indicted.  Some of those people who bullied me are now my friends.  You know how I resolved my problems?  I told my parents and teachers what was happening.  I learned to be vocal and resolve problems with my mouth. 

I don't want the legal system to solve all my life problems.  There are some things that can be handled by the school.  If you wanna go after schools for not dealing with problems.  Fine...but putting a child bully in a correction center is just an overexaggeration to simple problems. 
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2010, 09:50:14 PM »

Just because the school failed here doesn't mean those teens shouldn't be held responsible. If a robbery goes off because the security was not paying attention, they'll get fired but the robbers aren't getting off either.

By all means the school needs to be investigated and anyone particularly negligent needs to be held responsible. But that's not a reason to let the teens off the hook.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2010, 10:06:44 AM »

Not to mention they're incredibly overworked for absurdly low pay anyway, not to mention the various unreasonable pressures and risks already placed upon them.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2010, 10:07:46 AM »

I'm a complete moron because I still can't figure out what all happened or why in the hell her parents aren't under arrest......
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2010, 10:21:06 AM »

Were her parents notably negligent?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2010, 10:54:09 AM »

How in the hell does it get to the point it did......i still don't understand it all.......without the parents just protecting the kid?
rob in cal
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2010, 04:56:43 PM »

I'm wondering where the statutory rape charges fitted in with all the bullying? Was that related or a side issue that was linked up in the charges.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2010, 06:28:24 PM »

Between the legal system and the teachers, they should both take responsibility to protect students from bullying. We don't tolerate this behavior in the real world, so why should kids have to put up with it? (especially given that the state requires them to be there)

One thing that always bugged me was very nice kids caught with alcohol or marijuana actually going to court while the bullies just got detention or a day or two of suspension.

I agree that this line of reasoning is terrible. Even worse is that I knew kids who were more severely punished for cursing, than most of the bullies were. When exposure to sexually explicit material/underage drugs, etc. are considered more harmful to minors than direct bullying, it shows a mix-up in moral values.
justW353
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.83

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2010, 08:22:57 PM »

I'm wondering where the statutory rape charges fitted in with all the bullying? Was that related or a side issue that was linked up in the charges.

They're trying to charge the kids with everything they can.  She was going out with an 18 year old I guess...

Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2010, 08:37:29 AM »
« Edited: April 01, 2010, 08:39:49 AM by brittain33 »

She went out with a popular boy, and then she dumped him, which is what set off him, his friends, and the mean girls, because who the hell did this sophomore from Ireland think she was dating a senior and blah de blah blah let's make her life a living hell. So the statutory rape charge must be linked to their relationship.

The principal has stepped out to defend himself today by saying no one in the faculty heard anything until a week before the death and that Mrs. Prince, in her two visits with staff members, never mentioned the bullying, which both defies belief and had the D.A. saying that in so many words that her evidence shows he is full of sh*t.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2010, 08:38:01 AM »

They're trying to charge the kids with everything they can.  She was going out with an 18 year old I guess...

He's 17, and she was 15.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2010, 08:55:37 AM »

He's 17, and she was 15.

And that's one of those statutory rape laws that I think should be more laxed.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies