"Export or Die"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:50:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  "Export or Die"
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "Export or Die"  (Read 1281 times)
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 02, 2010, 06:25:37 PM »

From today's Economist, Greg Ip writes:

America's economic transformation will require businesses to rely less on selling to Americans and more on selling abroad.... The emphasis will be on high-value products and services rather than on labour-intensive items such as furniture and clothing.

One interesting point:

... between 1993 and 2003 [t]he increase in any given year came almost entirely from existing exporters, but over time new ones played an increasing part. For example, in 1993 alone firms exporting existing products to existing markets accounted for 91% of total export growth. But over the entire ten-year period they made up a relatively modest 35% of the total, with new firms contributing 24% and firms with new products or entering new markets as much as 42%.

http://www.economist.com/specialreports/displaystory.cfm?story_id=15793128
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 09:59:48 PM »

Nonsense, obviously.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 10:17:18 PM »

And of course the demand for these exports will be created with borrowed money "credit" in emerging markets... the cycle continues.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 10:18:48 PM »

And of course the demand for these exports will be created with borrowed money "credit" in emerging markets... the cycle continues.

Actually redistribution is the answer.  Instead of 'loans', just take the 'money'.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 10:21:11 PM »

Actually redistribution is the answer.  Instead of 'loans', just take the 'money'.

Nonsense opebo, they are redistributing... at the rate of $100 to $250 a month. It's called trickle down economics.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 12:02:38 AM »

Nonsense opebo, they are redistributing... at the rate of $100 to $250 a month. It's called trickle down economics.

Why did you give me a link about China?  We're talking about the US.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 01:21:13 AM »

Why did you give me a link about China?  We're talking about the US.

Because we're obviously not going to export to ourselves.

Which was my original point. If exports are the answer to everything, who is doing the importing, and how?

[Btw I agree with this article to an extent, and was even saying similar things last year, but still]
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 04:12:54 PM »

Why did you give me a link about China?  We're talking about the US.

Which was my original point. If exports are the answer to everything, who is doing the importing, and how?

[Btw I agree with this article to an extent, and was even saying similar things last year, but still]

Yeah my point was I don't agree with the article and don't consider exports to be all that important.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010, 09:35:57 PM »

Why did you give me a link about China?  We're talking about the US.

Yeah my point was I don't agree with the article and don't consider exports to be all that important.

If you want more wealth, you have to create it. You can't freeze it and then redistribute, you have to still grow, unless you want lower standards of living for all or plan to use genocide, sterilization, infantacide, eugenics, or some other means of population reduction, which, ironically is usually found in such nations that have Communist or non-communist Totalitarian states, which you seem to fawn over.

As such you either need to sell more goods at the same price, sell the same goods at a higher price, or a combination of both.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2010, 10:10:30 PM »

Yeah but exporting isn't the only way to create wealth.  Even if the rest of the world ceased to exist the US could still create something.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies