How many votes did Palin cost McCain?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:34:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  How many votes did Palin cost McCain?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: How many votes did Palin cost McCain?  (Read 30831 times)
Liberalrocks
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.35

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: December 21, 2010, 08:38:29 PM »
« edited: December 21, 2010, 08:40:17 PM by Liberalrocks »

Sarah Palin is a wonderful person. Don't let the press fool u, shes a great gal.

But, she did cost McCain dearly. Lieberman was not the right running mate for him, but someone like Romney, Voinovich, or Pawlenty were good choices. With one of them, McCain could have held Colorado, Florida, North Carolina, Virgina, Indiana, and Ohio. That way, New Hampshire could have flipped the election to him. Then, he could have carried Pennsylvania, Michigan, Iowa, and maybe Nevada. That would be a great victory. However, Palin turned off a lot of swing voters and independent voters that were key to McCain doing the scenario above.

Romney, Voinovich, and Pawlenty were all solid running mates who would have helped McCain a ton. I think that McCain would have been surprised.

And with Clinton as the nominee...Washington, Oregon, Hawaii, Minnesota, Wisconsin, New Jersey, Maine...these all become battleground states. Just changing the running mate would have done wonders for McCain.
You really think those states would be tossups with Clinton in 2008 of all years? LOL The biggest economic meltdown since the Great Depression?  She would have trounced McCain by as much as (or more) then Obama did. She would have made a better president in my opinion. As for Palin she cost McCain critical support from centrist and independent voters. He also did not win many of the "Clinton Democrats" which was part of her purpose on the ticket.  She alienates as many or more people then she unites. McCain ran a worse campaign then Dole 96 and thats saying something!
tnowacki
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #101 on: December 31, 2010, 06:06:12 AM »

I think Palin cancelled herself out. She enthused conservatives, yes, but she totally motivated Independants and Liberals to go out and vote for Obama.
I agree with that. Smiley
Thomas_S_Richard106
ThomasSmith106
Canada

« Reply #102 on: January 16, 2013, 07:45:18 PM »

I think Palin cancelled herself out. She enthused conservatives, yes, but she totally motivated Independants and Liberals to go out and vote for Obama.
I agree with that. Smiley

I agree with that too.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies