Pretty strong California quake just hit 3:42 pm April 4
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:01:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Pretty strong California quake just hit 3:42 pm April 4
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Pretty strong California quake just hit 3:42 pm April 4  (Read 1201 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 04, 2010, 05:44:34 PM »

I know it is quite strong, because it started slowly, and just kept building, until my house was rocking quite pronouncedly. That motion also means it is probably at least 100 miles away from South Orange County. I am going to guess a 7 as a wild guess.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 05:47:06 PM »

Felt it just now too in La Jolla.

Time      Magnitude      Location 
3 minutes ago     6.9     Baja California, Mexico     
8 minutes ago     3.3     Baja California, Mexico 
23 hours ago     4.3     Baja California, Mexico     
The Age Wave
silent_spade07
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -2.43

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 05:48:10 PM »

Nothing was falling off the walls though.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 05:48:40 PM »
« Edited: April 04, 2010, 05:52:55 PM by Torie »

I was just about to post the same thing. Am I not pretty good at this sort of thing, or what?  Smiley

The map has the epicenter just south of Mexicali, and north of the Gulf of California, so basically at the mouth of the Colorado River. You know if the Big One hits down there, it could slice open a relatively small rise that blocks the Gulf of California from flooding in  all the way up to La Quinta and Indio in the Coachella Valley, putting both of my desert houses under 60 feet of water (they are 60 feet below sea level), never to be seen again. That is why I have quake insurance on both. Smiley
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 05:52:00 PM »

Haven't felt it...
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 05:52:56 PM »

You're too far North, I think.

It's actually from Baja California in Mexico.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 05:53:52 PM »

Where, roughly, would have been the northernmost point that the earthquake would have been felt?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 05:56:18 PM »

Where, roughly, would have been the northernmost point that the earthquake would have been felt?

I would guess LA and Ventura Counties would be the limit of its reach. It was about 140 miles from me as the crow flies.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010, 06:05:57 PM »

I would guess LA and Ventura Counties would be the limit of its reach. It was about 140 miles from me as the crow flies.

Explains why I felt nothing. Apparently some people called it the biggest one they had felt since the Northridge earthquake, though.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2010, 06:09:49 PM »

Explains why I felt nothing. Apparently some people called it the biggest one they had felt since the Northridge earthquake, though.

I  think it was. Northridge had my pool water sloshing out, and raised a bit one of my cement pads in back by about an inch.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2010, 06:11:02 PM »

I was just about to post the same thing. Am I not pretty good at this sort of thing, or what?  Smiley

The map has the epicenter just south of Mexicali, and north of the Gulf of California, so basically at the mouth of the Colorado River. You know if the Big One hits down there, it could slice open a relatively small rise that blocks the Gulf of California from flooding in  all the way up to La Quinta and Indio in the Coachella Valley, putting both of my desert houses under 60 feet of water (they are 60 feet below sea level), never to be seen again. That is why I have quake insurance on both. Smiley

Is quake insurance enough, or would you need flood insurance?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2010, 06:17:20 PM »

That also assumes the insurance companies will have priced in a fat tail event. After the 1906 San Francisco earthquake not everyone got paid.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2010, 06:19:29 PM »
« Edited: April 04, 2010, 06:21:42 PM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

I know it is quite strong, because it started slowly, and just kept building, until my house was rocking quite pronouncedly. That motion also means it is probably at least 100 miles away from South Orange County. I am going to guess a 7 as a wild guess.

OK, you win a gold medal for measuring earthquakes.

Anyways, by coincidence, Northern California had a 4.1 9 minutes later. I didn't feel either of these, though.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2010, 06:20:26 PM »

That also assumes the insurance companies will have priced in a fat tail event. After the 1906 San Francisco earthquake not everyone got paid.

I do quake policies with huge A+15 Best rating companies, who re-insure most of the risk off to others. Your concern is well taken, and one that I share.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2010, 06:22:03 PM »

OK, you win a gold medal for measuring earthquakes.

I have had a lot of practice, having lived in California all my life, except for 8 years in the Midwest, which meant I missed the destructive Whittier and Sylmar quakes.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2010, 06:23:58 PM »

5.1 aftershock in Imperial County.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2010, 06:25:54 PM »

Is quake insurance enough, or would you need flood insurance?

I was thinking the same thing. I am going to ask my poor harassed insurance broker that very question tomorrow (a word of advice: if you become an insurance broker, try by all means to avoid having lawyers as clients). Of course, if the San Andreas quake hits hard in the Coachella Valley, my houses would just sink away due to liquefaction in the soft sandy soil that used to be at the bottom of the sea not so long ago anyway.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2010, 06:27:12 PM »

The insurance industry has evolved a bit since 1906, but your point is well taken.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2010, 06:28:45 PM »

The insurance industry has evolved a bit since 1906, but your point is well taken.

Right, they are now more likely to be bailed out; at least the big players.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2010, 06:52:27 PM »

I'm watching my friend's house and he and his family are on vacation in Cabo... I hope they are okay...

Cabo is about as far away from the epicenter as San Francisco.  They should be fine.  I'd be more worried about Mexicali.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2010, 07:25:43 PM »

I felt it earlier.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2010, 09:41:10 PM »

Ya, I felt it.  It was no more than a rumble, though.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2010, 09:42:51 PM »

I didn't feel it, but I saw its effects since I was at Albertson's and the signs on the different aisles were moving.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2010, 11:47:17 PM »

Latest Earthquakes in the World - Past 7 days - from USGS

The Google satellite map is real interesting.  The irrigated portion of the Coachella Valley looks like a mountain ridge with trees until you zoom in.

If you go to a particular quake, there is an estimate of the locations where the quake would be felt, but it doesn't even show the coast San Diego/Tijuana.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2010, 10:40:45 AM »

That website is neat. Interesting to see some earthquakes in Maine and West Virginia?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies