If Daniels is the 2012 nominee who should be his vp?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:50:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  If Daniels is the 2012 nominee who should be his vp?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: If Daniels is the 2012 nominee who should be his vp?  (Read 2017 times)
redcommander
YaBB God
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 05, 2010, 01:07:13 AM »

He think he should take a risk and choose one of the possibly newly elected Republican senators or governors but that's just me.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 02:25:09 AM »

Maybe Romney, if he's up for it? Romney should have some appeal to independents and has the economic credentials.

Please not some evangelican loon.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 03:11:13 AM »

Somebody with hair.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 10:41:26 AM »

lol I think Charlie Crist or Eric Cantor would be good, maybe Haley Barbour
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 01:30:44 PM »

Maybe Romney, if he's up for it? Romney should have some appeal to independents and has the economic credentials.

If he is the nominee, then clearly Romney was rejected for his health care atrocity.
justW353
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.83

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 01:53:05 PM »

If he is the nominee, then clearly Romney was rejected for his health care atrocity.

You know nothing about "Romneycare".  Stop pretending you do, someone is bound to call you out on it.
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 02:25:13 PM »

If he wants to risk capitalizing on the new Tea Party base, he would be best off choosing someone along the lines of Marco Rubio, or potentially Scott Brown, since he's practically the face of the anti-establishment movement despite his moderation. It would be one hell of a risk, though, considering the candidates' lack of experience. I think the most effective way he could do so would be if he chose, say, Paul Ryan.

Personally, though, I do think Daniels should go for someone at least slightly more moderate. Daniels himself isn't one, to be frank, so he doesn't need to worry about pleasing the conservative base. He wouldn't need to balance the ticket with someone even more conservative than he is. The problem with that idea, however, is that most of the moderates that might be available would either have the same lack of experience as the newly-elected Tea Party-esque candidates, or they would be past retirement age.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 02:26:38 PM »

It really depends on how things are in 2012. If it's going to be an election on the economy, I could definitely see a Daniels/Romney ticket doing some real damage. And if the economy is in shatters by 2012 Obama will find it very hard to win reelection anyway.

However, if the economy is much improved and improving further in 2012 then Obama will probably win anyway and Daniels might be better off picking a social conservative to rally the base. As much as I would hate that.

Don't get me wrong: I would support Obama regardless of who the republican candidate is, but the Republicans could do far worse than Daniels/Romney IMO.
pragmatic liberal

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 02:44:13 PM »

Maybe Jindal?
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 03:04:44 PM »

You know nothing about "Romneycare".  Stop pretending you do, someone is bound to call you out on it.

I'm calling you out on your knowledge of your own state's system.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2010, 04:44:05 PM »

What about Ayotte?
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2010, 04:46:41 PM »

Eh. Again, it's that experience issue, and I'm of the belief that Daniels could flip NH even without her.

Personally, I'm considering solidifying my idea that he should choose Paul Ryan. That would be much more of a game changer.
justW353
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2010, 05:07:29 PM »

Well why do you think it's an atrocity?

To counter your most likely claim, my family's taxes did not increase due to MassHealth.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2010, 05:51:25 PM »

Cantor, McDonnell (never said no to VP), somebody with military experience. Don't need to worry about an executive so options are very much open

take a look at Brown, not likely though he's popular in MA...for now
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2010, 07:24:08 PM »

He should choose someone who is best for him, Paul Ryan, maybe, but you are forgetting the guy hates campaigning and fundraising (reasons he stated for not running for Minority Leader in 2008) and thats what the Veep does for three months 24/7 campaigning. He is a policy guy and better suited as a Budget Committee Chairmen or a cabinet member. The Palin factor would be a deterrent but choosing a female Rep would I think be fine she would be in the the know, unlike Palin. Blackburn, Emerson, or Bono-Mack. Blackburn would bring a lot of Conservative and Tea Party Energy that he might feel the need to sure up after going against someone like Thune, Palin or Huckabee. She has been there since 2002, and was a State Senator before that. She faught for fiscal conservatism even under Republican leadership, another plus. Emerson and Bono-Mack would be good to reach out but the problem is, as demonstrated by Tony Perkin's getting pissed because Social Con champions like Coburn and DeMint weren't focusing on Life and Marriage enough. Good god, they are self destructing fools. Emerson and Bono-Mack are Pro-Choice.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2010, 08:57:52 PM »

I think Brown, Rubio, and Ayotte would be too green. 

Ryan would say no. 

I think McDonnell would be a good pick.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2010, 10:23:06 PM »

He should choose someone who is best for him, Paul Ryan, maybe, but you are forgetting the guy hates campaigning and fundraising (reasons he stated for not running for Minority Leader in 2008) and thats what the Veep does for three months 24/7 campaigning. He is a policy guy and better suited as a Budget Committee Chairmen or a cabinet member. The Palin factor would be a deterrent but choosing a female Rep would I think be fine she would be in the the know, unlike Palin. Blackburn, Emerson, or Bono-Mack. Blackburn would bring a lot of Conservative and Tea Party Energy that he might feel the need to sure up after going against someone like Thune, Palin or Huckabee. She has been there since 2002, and was a State Senator before that. She faught for fiscal conservatism even under Republican leadership, another plus. Emerson and Bono-Mack would be good to reach out but the problem is, as demonstrated by Tony Perkin's getting pissed because Social Con champions like Coburn and DeMint weren't focusing on Life and Marriage enough. Good god, they are self destructing fools. Emerson and Bono-Mack are Pro-Choice.

I would say Bachmann...but I don't know if America thinks she has enough experience yet. At least Palin had executive
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2010, 10:31:10 PM »

I would say Bachmann...but I don't know if America thinks she has enough experience yet. At least Palin had executive

Whereas the ones above wouldn't scare away mainstream voters, Bachmann would be worse then Palin and be very damaging. She is to gaffe prone and to extreme.
justW353
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2010, 10:31:28 PM »

Bachmann would be a disaster.  I pray that someone chooses her as VP, because their campaign will crash and burn.

If he's picking a woman, I'd have to go with Hutchison.

Overall, I think the best pick would be either Bob McDonnell or Scott Brown.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2010, 11:13:58 AM »

Bachmann?  Wow.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2010, 11:37:22 AM »

I'm going to have to go with Scott Brown.  He's a new face, young (by congressional standards), and a moderate.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2010, 04:20:52 PM »

To counter your most likely claim, my family's taxes did not increase due to MassHealth.

Why are you talking abut taxes?
Oedipus Rex
theleftisright
Rookie
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2010, 07:49:27 PM »

I think Daniels should try for a social moderate.  Maybe Rudy Guiliani?
justW353
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2010, 07:51:22 PM »

Why are you talking abut taxes?

Why do you think it's an atrocity?
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2010, 07:55:11 PM »

Rand Paul

Ron Paul

Michele Bachmann

Peter Schiff