Which hurt the candidate more?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:50:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Which hurt the candidate more?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: .
Obama's race

McCain's age

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 34

Author Topic: Which hurt the candidate more?  (Read 6822 times)
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 05, 2010, 01:42:39 AM »

Obama's race (though not by much).
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 01:50:59 AM »

Probably Obama's Race, however I do not feel either quality really mattered a great deal in the long run.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 01:58:30 AM »

McCain's age b/c VP selection became a higher risk decision.
DariusNJ

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 11:58:55 AM »

McCain's age, but only because a lot of people were attracted to Obama's candidacy because of his race, which somewhat cancelled (though not totally) the negative effects that his race had.

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 01:02:03 PM »

McCain's age, but only because a lot of people were attracted to Obama's candidacy because of his race, which somewhat cancelled (though not totally) the negative effects that his race had.

Obama's race, I sez. Other than a (by definition) handful of black Republicans and conservatives, African-Americans would've voted overwhelmingly (90+%) anyway for a white Democrat just as they did for Kerry, Gore, Clinton, et al. A-A turnout improved, sure, but turnout improved markedly among all races across the board.

Overall Obama's race probably cost him Missouri with a number of older Dixiecratish Dems jumping ship to make up for any increased AA turnout in St. Louis and KC, though probably not Montana as well. GA? A bit of a stretch as most older Dixiecrat Dems have already long voted GOP in federal elections and wouldn't have liked Obama's liberalism even if he was white. Obama's race cost him votes here for sure, but highly unlikely enough to make up a 200+k deficit.
Sasquatch

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -8.52

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 07:21:19 PM »

McCain's age b/c VP selection became a higher risk decision.
+1
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 07:25:10 PM »

Option 2. I don't think Obama's race hurt him.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 08:27:04 PM »

I'd rather say it was an advantage.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 08:30:06 PM »

I'd rather say it was an advantage.

Exactly.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 08:48:21 PM »

The only reason Obama was even given a second thought as a candidate was his race.

So McCain's age by default.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 07:36:37 AM »

Huh

In what world does increasing his share of the black vote from 90+% to 95+% in exchange for scads of white voters, particularly seniors, become an "advantage"?
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2010, 10:10:25 AM »

In terms of actual electoral damage, McCain's age.  His image was nothing compared to the one Obama was able to create and age had a lot to do with that.  That affected his entire campaign.  In real terms, Obama's race was a much more damaging aspect.  But it didn't translate into electoral loss as he was most damaged locally in places he wasn't going to win, and didn't need to win, anyway.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2010, 10:56:04 AM »

Huh

In what world does increasing his share of the black vote from 90+% to 95+% in exchange for scads of white voters, particularly seniors, become an "advantage"?

in a world where turnout matters, and plenty of people not just black get excited by the idea of a first black president
KuntaKinte
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -0.52

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2010, 10:56:38 AM »

In terms of actual electoral damage, McCain's age.  His image was nothing compared to the one Obama was able to create and age had a lot to do with that.  That affected his entire campaign.  In real terms, Obama's race was a much more damaging aspect.  But it didn't translate into electoral loss as he was most damaged locally in places he wasn't going to win, and didn't need to win, anyway.

From abroad, I'd say this is quiet accurate. Though I think if McCain was 20 years younger, he still would have been blown away by Obamania.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2010, 12:02:50 PM »

Huh

in a world where turnout matters, and plenty of people not just black get excited by the idea of a first black president

This.

And badger, I don't think Obama lost "scads of white voters, particularly seniors". The Deep South could be an exception, but Obama was not going to win there anyway. Elsewhere, as shua notes, there were a great amount of people, not just black people, who were excited by the idea of Obama being the first black president or whatever. So, if anything, I'd say that overall, Obama gained, not lost, votes because of his race.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2010, 01:01:27 PM »

Huh

Again, turnout among all races increased substantially. The African-American share of the overall electorate increased only a smidge from 2004. (From approx. 12% to 13% IIRC).

As far as the first black presidential nominee jazzing up non-white voters, I submit from personal experience these were a) damned few and far between, and b) the kind of socially liberal kumbaya singing youths who weren't about to vote GOP (especially for McCain) under almost any circumstance.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2010, 01:33:27 PM »

Huh

This.

And badger, I don't think Obama lost "scads of white voters, particularly seniors". The Deep South could be an exception, but Obama was not going to win there anyway. Elsewhere, as shua notes, there were a great amount of people, not just black people, who were excited by the idea of Obama being the first black president or whatever. So, if anything, I'd say that overall, Obama gained, not lost, votes because of his race.

And as you southerners frequently--and correctly--point out, racism is hardly confined to voters in the south. There's a reason that people often discussed how border states like West Virginia probably would've been in play if Clinton was the nominee, notwithstanding her being every bit as polarizing to the right and liberal as Obama. There's a reason so many counties in Appalachia supported John freakin' Kerry more than Obama, even as the rest of the country shifted several points Democratic.

I'll repeat that it's hard to fathom how blacks making up a marginally higher percentage of the MO electorate plus a handful of black Republicans pulling the lever for Obama made up for god knows how many lost rural Dixiecrats and white blue collar workers in KC and St. Louis.

MO is probably the only state that went for McCain due to race. MT has too low an AA population for much ingrained racism in voting, and McCain's 200+k margin in GA was probably too large to have been changed by white voters willing to consider voting for a northern liberal Democrat as long as they were white. But that doesn't mean that Obama made electoral gains because of his race rather than despite it. Rather, race explains a lot of why many Obama states like NC, IN, and to a lesser degree VA and FL, were even as close as they were.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2010, 11:50:32 AM »

phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2010, 05:54:55 PM »

Obama's name hurt more than his race, especially the Hussein part.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2010, 09:06:32 PM »

early on- Obama's race
later on- McCain's age

I don't think that either was a big issue for voters and I'm glad. I actually think Obama was and is too young. Only arrogance would allow someone to think that they should be the most powerful person in the world at age 46. McCain didn't appear to be quite 72 either. He seemed more like a man in his 60's.
justW353
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.83

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2010, 09:36:07 PM »

early on- Obama's race
later on- McCain's age

I don't think that either was a big issue for voters and I'm glad. I actually think Obama was and is too young. Only arrogance would allow someone to think that they should be the most powerful person in the world at age 46. McCain didn't appear to be quite 72 either. He seemed more like a man in his 60's.

Oh yeah, because James Polk, Ulysses S. Grant, Grover Cleveland, Theodore Roosevelt, John F. Kennedy, and Bill Clinton were all terribly arrogant and young...Oh wait, no, they were some of the greatest leaders in American history...Mistake on your part.

Seriously, don't say things this bone-headed and arrogant unless you expect to be called out on them.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2010, 01:34:33 PM »

greatest leaders according to who? you?
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2010, 12:09:08 AM »

early on- Obama's race
later on- McCain's age

Oh yeah, because James Polk, Ulysses S. Grant, Grover Cleveland, Theodore Roosevelt, John F. Kennedy, and Bill Clinton were all terribly arrogant and young...Oh wait, no, they were some of the greatest leaders in American history...Mistake on your part.

Seriously, don't say things this bone-headed and arrogant unless you expect to be called out on them.

Out of all those President you just mentioned, TR would be the only one whom I consider anywhere near great.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2010, 07:59:30 AM »

early on- Obama's race
later on- McCain's age

Out of all those President you just mentioned, TR would be the only one whom I consider anywhere near great.

His point being 46 is hardly an unusually young age to be elected to the presidency, let alone run for it (e.g. William Jennings Bryan, Richard Nixon).
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2010, 11:33:19 AM »

early on- Obama's race
later on- McCain's age

I agree, my 3 heroes as far as presidents during the 20th century are TR, Eisenhower, and Reagan.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies