DNC and RNC have tentative dates set for 2012 conventions
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:32:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  DNC and RNC have tentative dates set for 2012 conventions
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: DNC and RNC have tentative dates set for 2012 conventions  (Read 627 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 05, 2010, 07:07:43 PM »

The RNC had previously announced the week beginning Aug. 27th, 2012 as their convention week:

link

The DNC has now penciled in the week beginning Sept. 3rd, 2012 as their convention week:

link

Neither party has decided on a host city for their convention yet.  Until such time as the venue is settled, it's possible that things will be rescheduled.  I believe Sept 3rd puts the Dem. convention later than any previous major party convention, at least in modern times.  When the GOP decided to go with Aug. 30 - Sept. 2 in 2004, they were actually running up against state ballot access deadlines to do so.  Will the Dems be doing so this time?

Also, assuming that the NFL uses the same scheduling format into the 2012 season, the NFL's opening night kickoff game would be on Sept. 6th, the same night as Obama's acceptance speech (same issue w/ McCain in 2008).  I would presume that the NFL will be able to reach an accommodation with the DNC (as they did with the RNC in 2008) where the game is scheduled a bit earlier, so that it doesn't conflict with the speech.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 09:01:01 PM »

I would presume that the NFL will be able to reach an accommodation with the DNC (as they did with the RNC in 2008) where the game is scheduled a bit earlier, so that it doesn't conflict with the speech.

Don't count on it.  This is the league that gave Rush Limbaugh more exposure.  And where this kind of stuff happens:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0909/26705.html

I'm not saying they'd actually be able to get away with not accommodating the president.  But I wouldn't be surprised if they try.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 01:41:13 AM »

Btw, a few news sources have mentioned Charlotte, Philadelphia, and Phoenix as the leading contenders for the DNC.

Phoenix, Salt Lake City, and Tampa are the contenders for the RNC.
Sasquatch

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -8.52

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 02:12:20 AM »
« Edited: April 06, 2010, 06:21:59 AM by Sasquatch »

I don't like it when the conventions are right on top of each other. I like it better when they were spread out a few weeks apart. I enjoyed listening to all the chest bumping when each side went up +10 afterwards. They acted like the lead would hold and the other side would panic. Both parties did this.

Now it's all squashed.
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 04:52:20 AM »

The third time will be the charm for Tampa. We definitely wowed the RNC committee when they were here.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 06:22:46 AM »

Isn't it unusual for the Dem convention to before the GOP one?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 06:24:45 AM »

Isn't it unusual for the Dem convention to before the GOP one?

Whichever party occupies the White House holds their convention second, after the other party.  It's a convention, as it were.
nhmagic
azmagic
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.62, S: 4.61

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 11:40:12 AM »

I really feel like the RNC is choosing Phoenix.  They have just been doing site inspections here at the place I work.  Plus, if the dems have Phoenix on their list of places, its obvious where dems are working to flip a state - we're not going to let that happen (though its not gonna happen whether the DNC is here or not).
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 01:16:59 PM »

Yea that's usually a good idea to book it in advance and then go from there. I'd wait til last minute for the GOP.  Having a late convention helped Bush in 2004.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies