Salon: "The Search for an Intellectual GOP Presidential Candidate"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 09:29:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Salon: "The Search for an Intellectual GOP Presidential Candidate"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Salon: "The Search for an Intellectual GOP Presidential Candidate"  (Read 1698 times)
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2010, 12:15:38 AM »

Limbaugh and Beck are very intelligent, tonally and intellectually.  Beck has used source after source to prove that you liberals are liars through and through.  Limbaugh has pieced together your schemes for years using simple news reports.  It's obvious that you don't listen to or watch either of them. 

If they are intellectuals, then they are whores in the use of their intellectual powers. Both are off-the-cuff types, much like Sarah Palin.

Rush Limbaugh is a vile man, a drug addict and a bully.  He seems to tell the truth because you would never believe anything that a liberal says. Glenn Beck is able to piece together little bits of information into wild conspiracy theories.

My arch-conservative father who once suggested that it would be a good thing if employers had control of the votes of their employees and that giant corporations would have formal representation in Congress -- that is fascist ideology! -- recognizes Glenn Beck as a nut. He can't stand Limbaugh, either.

Neither Limbaugh nor Beck was able to detect, and neither could find anything wrong with the dictatorial tendencies of Republican figures (most infamously Cheney, Rove, and DeLay) in the heyday of GOP control of the political process. Neither was bale to catch onto the falsehood of claims that the war in Iraq was started over falsehoods, and neither ever called Dubya for a war for profit.           

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Rubio has yet to win a Senate seat, and anyone who thinks that he will attract the votes of non-Cuban Latinos fails to recognize that Mexican-Americans and Puerto Ricans have very different political cultures from that of Cuban-Americans. First, many Cuban-Americans have Fidel Castro as a bugaboo.  Second, Cuban-Americans are heavily concentrated in Florida. As a GOP nominee he could bring Florida into the GOP camp in 2012.  As an anti-amnesty Latino he would offend the sensibilities of Mexican-Americans and Americans of Central American origin who want amnesty. The illegal alien might be an in-law for a Mexican-American.

Look -- we liberals are quick to abandon our own crooks and liars. We haven't defended
William Jefferson or John Edwards -- but you right-wingers have defended people like Jack Abramoff.

HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2010, 12:42:03 AM »

intellectual and smart are 2 different things.  An intellectual is a scholar or someone who is educated like Obama.  Someone smart is someone who knows what decisions to make and what to do in certain situations like Ronald Reagan.  I don't want an elitist from Harvard who is "smart" according to the Ivy League.

You'd rather have someone who mooched off his father to get ahead like Bush?  That worked out well...

I hate that freaking word...Elitist.

Just remember what Bill Maher says, "In their (teabaggers) world, elitist means reader." lol

I think Thune would be a good choice for the Republicans for reasons the article mentions. I wouldn't vote for him but he sure is something to look at Smiley it seems as though presidential candidates who come out of Massachusetts recently (John Kerry, Mitt Romney) always get labeled as flip-floppers. Mike Huckabee, yeah I like him because he seems like a really likable and genuine guy who said some very nice things about Hillary when the media constantly trashed her, except when he starts preaching and talking about the social issues, then he really turns me off - we don't need a preacher as our president, people. I can see that primary: Mike Huckabee, James Dobson, Tony Perkins, Sarah Palin, Fred Phelps. Pawlenty does seem to be in the middle of an identity crisis as the article mentions, but if he wants to remain in the Republican Party, he'll have to appease the teabaggers i.e. become a fringe right-wing loon. Newt Gingrich has too much baggage from his tenure as Speaker of the House if you ask me, and Caribou Barbie .. enough said.
CJK
United States

« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2010, 08:30:25 AM »

Too many people equate "intellectual" with social liberalism, when that doesn't have to be the case. There is certainly an intellectual case to be made against gay marriage, abortion, feminism, drug legalization, affirmative action, immigration, out of wedlock births, etc. But I think that Republicans do need to back off excessive tax cuts and military spending that are not viable considering our budget crisis.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2010, 09:10:47 AM »

If they are intellectuals, then they are whores in the use of their intellectual powers.

Being a whore in the use of your intellectual powers is a prerequisite to obtaining a news show on cable TV.

Look -- we liberals are quick to abandon our own crooks and liars. We haven't defended
William Jefferson or John Edwards -- but you right-wingers have defended people like Jack Abramoff.

lolwhat

Liberals—no, politicians in general—will circle the wagons and defend anybody so long as it's politically expedient. I mean, there are Democrats who wear ankle bracelets to the Massachusetts State Senate, for Christ's sake.

Oh, and I remember Bob Torricelli's re-election campaign all too well, visits from Daschle included.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies