Forum Affairs Reform Act [LAW'D] (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:39:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Forum Affairs Reform Act [LAW'D] (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Forum Affairs Reform Act [LAW'D]  (Read 4004 times)
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: April 08, 2010, 07:01:51 AM »

I think it is well known that I have always opposed the HAEV at its face value.  But, as a Senator I have stood out of its way, to allow it to do its work and see what it does.  I have voted to confirm the nominees for this body, and voted in favor of their operating procedures.  The body has done an admirable job in performing a function that is based on a faulty premise.  I feel that it is my solemn duty to bring this question to the floor during this session of the Senate.

The recent ruling in JBrase vs. Atlasia completely changes the question, however.  I consider this ruling to be a victory.  I found the process that the HAEV was following to be morally repulsive, and it sickened me to watch the proceedings.  The court has thankfully and correctly ruled that this process is “repugnant to the Constitution”.

The court has further ruled that the HAEV may function, as a body that is delegated the power to define what is an “active member of the Forum” eligible to retain registered voter status.  By itself, this renders the HAEV a rather useless body, serving a function it was never intended to serve when it was created.  I believe the Senate is quite capable of creating such definitions, and did not intend to delegate that authority away when establishing the HAEV.

If any Senator sees a reasonable purpose in retaining the body after this ruling, I am interested in hearing your arguments.  It seems clear that the HAEV will (thankfully) not be allowed to function as it was intended.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 10:22:25 PM »

Earlier in this thread, several persons mentioned an idea of splitting the Department of Forum Affairs.  Would someone be willing to draft a proposal for this?  It could perhaps be passed as an amendment to this bill.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 08:46:40 PM »

You've obviously put some work into this, Peter.  I thank you for stepping up to the plate.

I'm willing to give this a shot.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 10:17:56 PM »

This is accepted as friendly...or since Peter isn't a Senator, I so amend the bill myself.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 06:36:44 PM »

Aye
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies