Regional Senate Partnership Amendment [failed to pass]
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:35:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Regional Senate Partnership Amendment [failed to pass]
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Regional Senate Partnership Amendment [failed to pass]  (Read 3318 times)
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2010, 11:14:07 AM »

Fake regionalist. It's becoming more and more clear regional rights is a brand name, and not a genuine ideology, as you only seem to support the "rights" of the regions that you like.
Marokai, you should know this by now: Regionalists only support regional rights when they want to. It simply depends on the issue. If it's an issue they don't want, they'll fall back on saying it should be "up to the regions". I can't think why regionalists don't support this bill, which would give regions even more power.
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2010, 12:22:02 PM »

It failed? Damn... Sad
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2010, 02:46:10 PM »

Fake regionalist. It's becoming more and more clear regional rights is a brand name, and not a genuine ideology, as you only seem to support the "rights" of the regions that you like.
Marokai, you should know this by now: Regionalists only support regional rights when they want to. It simply depends on the issue. If it's an issue they don't want, they'll fall back on saying it should be "up to the regions". I can't think why regionalists don't support this bill, which would give regions even more power.

To be fair, this won't give regions more "power" in the lateral sense that they can exert any additional influence on any part of the process. This is more of a horizontal power, where you shift around what a region can do without adding any new powers.

That being said, I don't think there needs to be a regionalist argument against this amendment. Why create additional unnecessary complexity in an already multi-faceted game?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2010, 02:50:58 PM »

To be fair, this won't give regions more "power" in the lateral sense that they can exert any additional influence on any part of the process. This is more of a horizontal power, where you shift around what a region can do without adding any new powers.

That being said, I don't think there needs to be a regionalist argument against this amendment. Why create additional unnecessary complexity in an already multi-faceted game?
Currently, it is the opinion of many that regional senate elections are boring. This would hopefully make them more interesting and exciting.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2010, 02:51:20 PM »

Regionalists don't support arbitrary increases in regional power.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2010, 03:05:06 PM »

Currently, it is the opinion of many that regional senate elections are boring. This would hopefully make them more interesting and exciting.

I don't see how this would happen. Currently, a boring election is one in which a person runs uncontested. Whether it is one person running for one seat or two people running for two seats, it is just as boring.

The way to get more exciting elections is to foster increased activity. We have seen a slew of more competitive elections from the regions, both for Senate and for Governor, with the advent of the regional legislatures. Encouraging the growth and spread of assemblies seems a much more effective way of spurring the competition we all want.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2010, 03:38:20 PM »

But it would be the power to delude their power which would seem rather counter productive to a regionalist. To a regionalist an ideal Senate would be all regional. Under this it would have created the opportunity, not that the regions would necessarily take it,  but still the opportunity for an all at-large Senate.

And as for the idea of making elections more exciting, I'll reiterate what has already been said, don't try and fix what isn't broken.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2010, 06:05:10 PM »

And as for the idea of making elections more exciting, I'll reiterate what has already been said, don't try and fix what isn't broken.

You're the only one who is trying that.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2010, 09:56:18 PM »
« Edited: April 18, 2010, 10:00:11 PM by Senator North Carolina Yankee (AFL-CIO-NC) »

Well most of my points have been made, but I could play devils advocate to respond to my friend, Marokai, that this would be a significant catalyst for Strategic Registration (Remember this?), You could dump a bunch of people into a region, vote to form a partnership, and then leave them there and you can control two Regional Senate seats. Even with the new laws that have succeeded in ending this problem, since you would only have to move them one, this could re-ignite that problem. One could see the Mideast DAers, the Northeast Pops or the Pacific JCPers doing this to the either the Midwest or the Southeast. But of course such a thing would be very conspiratorial and irrational...or is it?

Tongue

Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2010, 11:20:29 PM »

This amendment has enough votes to fail; Senators have 24 hours to change their votes.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2010, 06:24:39 AM »

This amendment has enough votes to fail; Senators have 24 hours to change their votes.
But their are only 4 votes against it, unless my math is mistaken.
Mint
YaBB God
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2010, 07:28:44 AM »

Aye
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2010, 08:09:08 AM »

Its a consitutional amendment and requires 2/3 = 66.67% of senate. Since the 6.67% has to vote yes it requires 7 votes not 6.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2010, 02:32:43 PM »

Its a consitutional amendment and requires 2/3 = 66.67% of senate. Since the 6.67% has to vote yes it requires 7 votes not 6.
Ah, that make sense. Well shoot... Sad
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2010, 12:21:07 PM »
« Edited: April 20, 2010, 12:23:01 PM by Badger »

Game reform for the sake of game reform, while interesting, may inevitably lead to more harm than good. This seems like it will be a) underutilized and b) a source of confusion.

Very much agreed. This is something I've said in the past; ie, we do not need to break what works well for the sake of reform. I think most of the regional elections were close contests, and because of that, the argument that they are all uninteresting is simply grasping for straws. Sure, the Southeast and Pacific were not contests, but you can't expect 100% of the elections to be nail biters.

I tend to agree.

NAY, btw.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2010, 12:24:29 PM »

This has failed.
MasterJedi