States flipping toward Obama in 2012
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 08:45:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  States flipping toward Obama in 2012
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Which state is most likely to go for Obama in 2012?
Arizona

Georgia

Missouri

Montana

North Dakota

South Carolina

South Dakota

Texas

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: States flipping toward Obama in 2012  (Read 2458 times)
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 07, 2010, 10:02:04 PM »

Go ahead -- be daring, but explain your reasoning.  Some states will have demographic change; some will have local issues that help Obama more in those states than elsewhere; some are more volatile than others; some will attract more attention than others.
xavier110
United States
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 10:12:42 PM »

I guess Arizona will be the only state from those listed to swing towards Obama.
TheGreatOne

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 10:15:18 PM »

Don't really see any state flipping, but I think the most likely state would be Arizona.  I think McCain hand delivered the state in 2008.  Otherwise it would have been much closer.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 10:23:28 PM »

I guess Arizona will be the only state from those listed to swing that might swing towards Obama.
wdecker1
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: 1.39

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 02:57:55 AM »

My picks are Arizona, Missouri, and Montana.  He may have won Arizona in 2008 had it not been McCain's home state.
21st Century Independent
Rookie

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 03:04:16 AM »

What about the Obama loses states thread?
wdecker1
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: 1.39

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 03:18:33 AM »

Start one.
DS0816
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 04:48:49 AM »
« Edited: April 08, 2010, 04:52:30 AM by DS0816 »

After losing 9 of the 31 states carried in 2004 by his Republican predecessor, 43rd president of the United States George W. Bush [R-Texas], there were 22 states that John McCain [R-Arizona] held in Election 2008. Of those 22, there were three [3] that saw 44th president of the United States Barack Obama [D-Illinois] win the female vote: Missouri (R+.13%), Montana (R+2.38%), and Georgia (R+5.20%). It's an advantage for when a candidate wins re-election.

Consider the three:

Missouri: Obama won females 50% to McCain's 48%. 3,903 votes were the difference between the President and McCain (who held Mo. by .13% after 2004 George W. Bush carried the bellwether state by 7.2%). Obama not winning Mo. in 2008 is tantamount to Bush not flipping bellwether New Mexico into his column in 2000 (it was held by Al Gore by 366 votes): a fluke that should be an easy pickup in re-election. —11 electoral votes

Montana: Obama won females 51% to McCain's 47%. 11,782 votes were the difference in which McCain held the state by 2.38% (after 2004 Bush carried it in a landslide 20.5%). This state has voted the same as Colorado (2004: Bush 4.67%; 2008: Obama 8.95%) in all post-World War II elections since 1948, and it was simply the shift in margins that resulted in different colors for these two states in Election 2008. If Obama is re-elected, and he shifts the popular vote margin by, say, 3 points (or goes dramatically beyond that modest margin shift), Mont. will be in his 2012 column. —3 electoral votes

Georgia: Obama won females 54% to McCain's 46%. 204,607 votes were the difference in a state where about 4 million were cast in 2008. McCain carried it 5.2% after Bush had it by 16.6%. Obama will have to shift more than 102,000 to win Ga. to his column. But considering the state of today's Repubican Party…there's a good chance it'll happen. Much of what I said about margins, and Mont. in 2012, applies to Ga. (As one who doesn't ignore history in voting of the states: Ga. and/or Florida have always carried for prevailing Democrats; this is not true with Republicans. The 1960s, 1990s, and 2000s winners carried one of the two. All the rest won both states in their elections. I can easily picture Obama—who won the vote of both genders when he carried in 2008 the state of Fla.—will have them both in 2012.) —16 electoral votes
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 06:44:02 AM »

Pbrower you should be more worried about the states that are going to flip GOP than these states.
DS0816
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 07:16:28 AM »
« Edited: April 08, 2010, 08:10:04 AM by DS0816 »

With exception of New Hampshire, every state John Kerry carried in 2004 was in Barack Obama’s 2008 column by at least 10 points. N.H. carried for Obama by 9.61%.

After shifting the 2004 popular vote by 9.73 points, Obama beat John McCain in Election 2008 by 7.26%.

Folks can decide on what kind of shift they
imagine happening in Election 2012 (or whether they even give it any thought).

ELECTION 2012
—SCENARIO: OBAMA/DEMOCRATIC RE-ELECTION—

Red: 2008 Republican
Blue: 2008 Democratic
Yellow: 2008 Republican (… to 9.99 points; Democratic in female vote)
Orange: 2008 Republican (… to 9.99 points; Republican in female vote)
Gray: 2008 Republican (10.00–14.99 points)

ELECTION 2012
—SCENARIO: REPUBLICAN PICKUP—

Red: 2008 Republican
Blue: 2008 Democratic
Yellow: 2008 Democratic (… to 9.99 points; Republican in male vote)
Green: 2008 Democratic (… to 9.99 points; Democratic in male vote)
Gray: 2008 Democratic (10.00–14.99 points)

pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2010, 07:52:53 AM »

It already exists. People there suggest such things as "Indiana was a fluke", "North Carolina is still a Southern state". "Virginia just elected a right-wing Governor who is so far very popular", "Ohio/Pennsylvania/Minnesota/Wisconsin/Michigan/Nevada has a bad economy that allowed Obama to win in 2008 but will damn him in 2012", or "Obama can't count on Hispanic voters in Colorado, Florida, and Nevada as he did in 2012".

To this I find such counterweights as "Indiana is undergoing an R-to-D shift as other Northern states have done, only later than the others", "North Carolina isn't so Southern as you think", "Virginia has too many government employees to remain R, as government employees become Democrats despite their economic condition because they know where their paycheck comes from", "the economy will improve even in the Rust Belt and Obama will get the credit", and "Demographic shifts (meaning more Hispanics) will rescue Obama in Colorado, Florida, and Nevada", or "Right-wing Republicans won't be so popular in Virginia in 2012 as they were popular in 2009".

I hope that I show the wisdom to not vote in this poll. But I can give my explanations of why I picked the states that I did:

1. Missouri was indeed close -- so close that nobody knew how the state would go for a couple of weeks after the election. A shift of a few votes from Ralph Nader (votes that weren't going to John McCain under any circumstances) to Barack Obama would have given the state to Obama.  This is the reverse of the situation in North Carolina, where voters for the libertarian Bob Barr cannibalized right-wing votes that would have otherwise gone for John McCain.

2. Montana. Again, close. Populism can take hold in the Upper Plains, as shown by the Governor. But Obama did not wage a classic populist campaign, perhaps because of temperament.

3. Georgia. The heavy presence of the military attracts a political cross-section of young blacks and Hispanics, but not whites -- who tend to be more conservative and rural. Georgia was close in 2008 despite a relatively poor showing of Barack Obama among young voters. The war-hero reputation had to make the difference among young white voters, especially those in the military. In 2012 Obama cuts into this vote if young military people find that two things have happened:

(1) the US is out of Afghanistan and Iraq, and

(2) the GOP nominee has no military connection.  

Enough? You tell me. The state gave us Jimmy Carter.

4. Arizona. A favorite son is good for about 5% in a shift of votes, or double the margin to 10%. McCain won the state by 8%, which is less than the usual margin that a Favorite Son usually brings.  The 2012 election will not feature any GOP nominee for President or Vice-President from Arizona. Demographics of Arizona are fairly similar to those of Colorado and Nevada... but both states seem shaky holds at best for Obama for 2012.

A recent poll showed Obama doing badly in Arizona in approval ratings -- but not much worse than either of the Republican Senators. Would Republican nominees for President and Vice-President not from Arizona do well in Arizona in 2012?  Discontent with all sorts of politicians is the reality in Arizona, and whoever builds trust there by 2012 will make the difference.      

5. South Carolina. I have seen some strange polls. Statewide and Congressional Republicans have made fools of themselves as they have in no other state, which bodes ill for their survival in the next election. The state has a large African-American population, and it is getting lots of Yankee transplants, like North Carolina and Georgia; the tendency may be stronger in South Carolina than in Georgia because the transplanted Yankees in South Carolina aren't going to only one part of the state (greater Atlanta).

6. Texas. One of the biggest swings in all states in America for the Democrats that did not result in a win. Obama would have to have a similar swing on top of the 2004-2008 swing which can be explained as the reversal of a Favorite Son effect. If Dubya was good for about 10% of the vote in 2000 and 2004, he wasn't on the ballot in 2008.

No way does Obama win this state against Sarah Palin, a good friend of the influential oil industry.  Texas has a well-established reputation for conservatism, but it has some large liberal areas -- notably its cities. The demographics are unusual -- large numbers of both blacks and Hispanics, both of which went strongly for Obama. The state last went for a Democratic nominee in 1976 -- Jimmy Carter -- which shows how much has changed since then.

Like North Carolina and even more than Georgia, Texas has lots of transplanted Northerners.  But are they the right sorts of Northerners? Transplants from New York and Pennsylvania  vote very differently from those from the Dakotas, Nebraska, and Kansas.

7. North Dakota. This would be a tie with South Dakota, except that Senator John Thune (R-SD) is a possible candidate for President.  A recent poll showed President Obama's approval  at 44%, which would give him about a 50% chance of winning the state under most circumstances. Obama could win the state against the "wrong" GOP nominee, or could he? The state is very stable in its voting, having never voted for any Democratic nominee for President since 1964. Democrats have won statewide elections in North Dakota.

8. South Dakota. Ordinarily I would think South Dakota to be more likely to vote for Obama than would North Dakota because South Dakota is more "urban" (if you call Rapid City and Sioux Falls "urban"). As a possible nominee for President or Vice-President,   Senator John Thune could make the difference in this state unless President Obama has a win analogous to Nixon in 1972 (highly unlikely and probably unwelcome) in which Thune loses his own state, and of course in which every state in this group goes to Obama anyway. Need I tell you that  the state hasn't voted for a Democratic nominee for President since 1964?  

Pbrower you should be more worried about the states that are going to flip GOP than these states.

There are two sides to most questions of prediction. Someone who can't see the other side can set himself up for a nasty surprise. There's plenty of talk about how President Obama can lose Pennsylvania and Michigan -- but there is another side. For those who suggest that Obama will lose Pennsylvania, I can just as easily suggest Texas. 

Take a sports analogy as an example. It's October, and you are the mighty 2010 New York Yankees who have just won 110 games in the regular season and have blown away the Tigers and Angels, and you are facing the Chicago Cubs, who have slipped into the World Series through some lucky circumstances after winning 88 games in the regular season.

If you are the Yankees, do you dare discount the Cubs? Do you compare yourselves to the 1927 Yankees? Or do you try to figure out the Chicago Cubs so that you can shut down such strengths as they have?

Right. The Cubs are the only team that can stop you from gloating about the World Series. The Tigers and Angels have no second chances in 2010 after you have defeated them.

There is only one 2010 World Series, and there is only one Presidential election in 2012. So what happens if President Obama loses every state that he won in 2008 that John Kerry lost.... but he wins Texas because in desperation he campaigns heavily there and spends millions on advertising there? Second term.

Strange things can happen in Presidential elections, and they usually do. 

Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 10:33:08 AM »

This thread is pretty funny.

If Obama performs worse than 2008 nationally, the only state that stands a chance of being better for him is Arizona, though the losses would probably be from less to greater in this order:

Georgia
South Carolina
Texas
Missouri
North Dakota
South Dakota
Montana

If Obama performs better than 2008 nationally, the probability of a better showing in each of the above listed states would probably follow in this order:

Arizona (still)
Missouri
Texas
South Carolina
Georgia
North Dakota
South Dakota
Montana

If things are the same, then who knows.  It is almost a certainty that we see better performance in Arizona and worse in Montana and South Dakota.  Can anyone tell me why?
pragmatic liberal

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2010, 02:04:10 PM »

Although it's a few months old, PPP actually found Obama's current approval rating in South Carolina was 46%, which is higher than in many swing states right now.

Obama won't win SC if the '12 election is close or if he's losing. But if he wins reelection by a substantial margin, SC could very well flip his way.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2010, 02:26:56 PM »

You forgot the "NONE OF THE ABOVE" option. Roll Eyes
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2010, 02:54:39 PM »

You forgot the "NONE OF THE ABOVE" option. Roll Eyes

Well it's asking 'most likely' not which will certainly flip, so you could think that none of the above will go to Obama but think that he's more likely to flip, say, Arizona than North Dakota, for example.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2010, 03:16:02 PM »

states most likely to vote for Obama:
1.Missouri
2.Montana
3.Arizona

most likely gain in percent of vote:
1.Arizona
2.Montana
3.Georgia
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2010, 05:16:31 PM »

If any, only Montana.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2010, 12:54:04 PM »

I got a state flipping for Obama and it's called Botzwana.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2010, 05:58:01 PM »

Don't quit your day job.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2010, 06:06:54 PM »

I don't get it.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2010, 08:22:50 PM »

I don't get it.

It's 'funny' because Obama is part Kenyan.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2010, 09:54:56 PM »

I don't get it.

It's 'funny' because Obama is part Kenyan.

Is the misspelling of Botswana part of the 'humor'?
DS0816
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2010, 06:04:51 AM »
« Edited: April 14, 2010, 06:08:03 AM by DS0816 »

Arizona: Maricopa Country (Phoenix) is the money. 2008 John McCain won it by 144,282 votes and 10.52%, an underperformance of the 2000 and 2004 George W. Bush numbers.

The one way for Barack Obama, if re-elected in 2012, to flip the state of Arizona is if he can come up with at least 75,000 votes out of this county to flip Maricopa on whoever will be his 2012 GOP challenger. (It would be easier on Obama is he were to garner 100,000-plus. Of course, McCain carried his home state by 195,404 votes and 8.48% after 2004 Bush carried Ariz. by 210,670 votes and 10.47%.) The more Obama could win out of Maricopa, and then send the numbers up in, say, Pima County (Tucson), where he won by 23,848 votes and 6.04%, the better shot he has in winning over Ariz. (which has voted only twice for Democrats since the first post-World War II election of 1948: 1948 Harry Truman and 1996 Bill Clinton; look at the closeness of the margins with, say, 1964 Lyndon Johnson and 1992 Clinton while keeping in mind the losing GOPs in heavily-Democratic elections against home sons 1964 Barry Goldwater, who barely held Ariz., and 2008 McCain).
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2010, 07:31:11 AM »

Nebraska and West Virginia could be added to the list.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2010, 07:58:07 AM »

Nebraska and West Virginia could be added to the list.

Uh, yeah right.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies