Dichotomous Poll: Global Warming (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:46:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Dichotomous Poll: Global Warming (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: If you had to pick.. which side would you choose?
Option 1

Option 2

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 42

Author Topic: Dichotomous Poll: Global Warming  (Read 2109 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« on: April 08, 2010, 10:17:45 AM »

Closer to option 1, but I'm a meteorology major, so that's to be probably to be expected.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 10:23:42 AM »

Closer to option 1, but I'm a meteorology major, so that's to be probably to be expected.

Oh, so you'll be the TV weatherman who gives me a forecast I can't rely on?  Roll Eyes  Tongue

No... Air Force or National Weather Service.  Or law school - I really need to figure that out soon.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 09:32:40 PM »

Not really.

American Meteorological Society, 2003: "The nature of science is such that there is rarely total agreement among scientists. Individual scientific statements and papers—the validity of some of which has yet to be assessed adequately—can be exploited in the policy debate and can leave the impression that the scientific community is sharply divided on issues where there is, in reality, a strong scientific consensus.... IPCC assessment reports are prepared at approximately five-year intervals by a large international group of experts who represent the broad range of expertise and perspectives relevant to the issues. The reports strive to reflect a consensus evaluation of the results of the full body of peer-reviewed research.... They provide an analysis of what is known and not known, the degree of consensus, and some indication of the degree of confidence that can be placed on the various statements and conclusions."

I don't now if referencing a 2003 claim of consensus is really valid considering recent revelations.

2005 maybe?

http://nationalacademies.org/onpi/06072005.pdf

How about 2007?

http://www.wmo.ch/pages/themes/wmoprod/documents/iwtc_statement.pdf

AMA didn't go all out and say global warming is definitely causing an increase in hurricaines, only that studies seem to preliminarily indicate some convergence. They sure as heck didn't switch their position about global warming however.

But there are a very large proportion of meteorologists who believe it to be cyclical.  Climatologists on the other hand largely agree that it's manmade.  I was merely pointing out that I'm often being talked to by people who would side with the cyclical hypothesis.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies