GOP VP Short-List
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:41:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  GOP VP Short-List
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: GOP VP Short-List  (Read 2727 times)
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 08, 2010, 08:43:34 PM »

Name your VP short list that would be good for any candidate. Assuming Romney or  conservative like Gingrich or (if he runs) Huckabee get the nomination
justW353
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.83

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 08:59:06 PM »

Mitch Daniels  (gives Indiana)
Tim Pawlenty  (Makes a strong push for Minnesota)
Bob McDonnell  (Makes a strong push for Virginia)

I'm drawing a blank here, but I would aim for a term limited or former Governor who is young-ish, fiscally conservative, and doesn't appear to be a nutjob to independents.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 09:06:17 PM »

I would add:

Cantor
Gregg
Jindal
Kasich
Portman
Thune

The Palin experience will make people skittish about picking a governor who's never dealt with national issues before and has zero Washington experience.  Also, most of the potential GOP presidential nominees are governors themselves, and governors typically pick VPs with some Washington experience.
Conservative frontier
JC
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 11:35:58 PM »

If I was the nominee, my list

Palin
Cantor
Portman
Thune
Burr *

* = my pick
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 03:18:06 PM »
« Edited: April 09, 2010, 05:59:13 PM by redcommander »

Daniels
Ryan
Hoeven
Collins
Blackburn
Cantor
Sununu
Portman
Walden

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 05:33:52 PM »

Mitch Daniels  (gives Indiana) (Indiana will go Rep anyway)
Tim Pawlenty  (Makes a strong push for Minnesota) (no teabbagging way)
Bob McDonnell  (Makes a strong push for Virginia)

I'm drawing a blank here, but I would aim for a term limited or former Governor who is young-ish, fiscally conservative, and doesn't appear to be a nutjob to independents.

pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 06:00:12 PM »

If Indiana is in any way in question for the Republicans, then the GOP has lost. Indiana is about R+4.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

He can't win his own state if he goes Hard Right. The VP candidate  is worth about a 5% overall swing at the most.

Bob McDonnell has become a whack-job right-winger after running as a moderate. "Confederate heritage" isn't popular north of  a line from Charlotte NC, Nashville TN, and Springfield MO or west of a line from about Tulsa to Houston. He could push the Dakotas, Kansas, and Nebraska at-large to President Obama. A Rasmussen poll of Virginia will probably question his approval rating in Virginia, and if it has dipped below 50%  in a short time, he won't make it. Virginia has lots of blacks and heavily-educated white people who won't vote for a right-wing whack job.

OK.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 06:01:30 PM »

Ron Paul
Rand Paul
Gary Johnson
Peter Schiff
Michele Bachmann
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 06:56:19 PM »

No self-respecting candidate would ever choose her, ever. She makes Sarah Palin look like a genius.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 07:28:50 PM »

Ron Paul
Rand Paul
Gary Johnson
Peter Schiff
Michele Bachmann

Hack without a sense of reality.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 08:14:06 PM »

Daniels
Pawlenty
McDonnell
Gregg
Thune
Cantor
Ryan
Jindal
Price

Not Palin - has a losing VP candidate ever been chosen as a running mate again?
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2010, 08:16:18 PM »

No self-respecting candidate would ever choose her, ever. She makes Sarah Palin look like a genius.

Uh, Michele Bachmann is way more intelligent and open-minded than Sarah Palin is.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2010, 08:30:58 PM »

Uh, Michele Bachmann is way more intelligent and open-minded than Sarah Palin is.

How did you come up with that brilliant conclusion?
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2010, 08:33:29 PM »

Uh, by listening to and reading about both of them.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2010, 08:39:27 PM »

Uh, by listening to and reading about both of them.

I'm not really sure if that makes her more intelligent.

"Little children will be forced to learn that homosexuality is normal and natural and perhaps they should try it."

"Iran is the troublemaker trying to tip over apple carts all over Baghdad right now because they want America to pull out. And you know why? It’s because they’ve already decided, that they’re going to territory, they’re- they’re going to partition Iraq and half of Iraq, the western northern portion of Iraq is going to be called, the United, uh, uh, the, the uh, -oh, I’m sorry, I can’t remember the actual name of it now, but it’s going to be called, um, uh, the, the, uh, uh the Iraq State of Islam, something like that. And I-I’m sorry, I-I don’t have the official name, but it is meant to be the training ground for the terrorists. There’s already an agreement made; they’re going to get half of Iraq and that is going to be a –a terrorist free,-a terrorist safe haven zone."

"I wish the American media would take a great look at the views of the people in Congress and find out: Are they pro-America or anti-America?"
justW353
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2010, 08:51:30 PM »

I'm not saying that that's what the administration is planning to do, but I am saying that private personal information that was given to the Census Bureau in the 1940s was used against Americans to round them up, in a violation of their constitutional rights, and put the Japanese in internment camps.

No one reacted this way when...Clinton ran the Census...or Bush Sr. ran the Census...

I wonder...does Bachmann have to work to be this crazy or does it just come naturally.  I am convinced that woman has paranoid schizophrenia.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2010, 08:55:45 PM »

I dunno.. Maybe Collins, Thune, Jindal, Daniels, or Ryan.  It really all depends on who the candidate is. I have no faith that Pawlenty brings anything to the table that will bring people out to vote. Anyone who thinks that he could actually help the state swing to Republicans, or make it a swing at this point are crazy.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2010, 09:06:23 PM »

I dunno.. Maybe Collins, Thune, Jindal, Daniels, or Ryan.  It really all depends on who the candidate is. I have no faith that Pawlenty brings anything to the table that will bring people out to vote. Anyone who thinks that he could actually help the state swing to Republicans, or make it a swing at this point are crazy.

Collins will never be accepted due to pro-choice stance.

Remember how Buchanan threaten to run 3rd party candidacy if Dole selects pro-choice running-mate. That attitude never changed.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2010, 09:48:41 PM »

Remember how Buchanan threaten to run 3rd party candidacy if Dole selects pro-choice running-mate. That attitude never changed.

People are concerned about the economy, deficit, taxation, and terrorism. Collins also is slightly more conservative than Snowe, so there is more acceptance for her if she moves slightly to right if she were on a national ticket.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2010, 09:49:24 PM »

People are concerned about the economy, deficit, taxation, and terrorism. Collins also is slightly more conservative than Snowe, so there is more acceptance for her if she moves slightly to right if she were on a national ticket.

Putting a pro-abortion candidate on the Republican ticket = suicide.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2010, 02:14:42 AM »

She'd need to have "heart change" just before elections, like Romney did, lol.

Otherwise, ticket would go down due to own Republican voters and Libertas is actually right about that.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2010, 08:55:43 AM »

Romney/Santorum
Huckabee/Daniels
Santorum/Daniels
Gingrich/Bachmann
Thune/Romney
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2010, 12:35:45 PM »

Gingrich/Bachmann = the ticket from hell!
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2010, 12:37:05 PM »

Gingrich/Bachmann = the ticket from hell!

Gingrich/Bachmann is far from the worst possible ticket the GOP could nominate....
justW353
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2010, 12:37:36 PM »

Palin/Bachmann = the ticket from hell!

Fixed
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length