A Dream Fulfilled: The Presidency of Martin Luther King, Jr.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:17:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  A Dream Fulfilled: The Presidency of Martin Luther King, Jr.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: A Dream Fulfilled: The Presidency of Martin Luther King, Jr.  (Read 13982 times)
justW353
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.83

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 09, 2010, 04:38:14 PM »
« edited: August 09, 2011, 04:13:15 AM by justW353 »

(Before I begin, I would like to thank hantheguitarman for this idea.  I hope I can do him proud.  This idea isn't entirely realistic, but I hope it will be an interesting read.)
justW353
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 04:57:00 PM »

Throughout American history, racial injustice has plagued society.  Many great social revolutionaries rose against this system of intolerance, and a select few left their permanent marks on history.  No great advocate of Civil Rights stands out more than Doctor Martin Luther King, Jr. .  Doctor King is remembered throughout history as a man who fought for justice and equality of all people, and a man who was tragically taken before his time.

His mesmerizing and prophetic speaking abilities awe Americans still today.  But what if this great American had survived his assassination attempt in 1968.  What did his future hold?

This timeline will begin as a focus on two Americans; Martin Luther King Jr., and Robert F. Kennedy.  Both of these men were slain at young ages.  Both of these men changed America in profound ways, but did not have the chance to fulfill their full potential.  What if both these men lived to see 1969?

This timeline will cover a major divergence from American history.  I hope you'll stay tuned, and without further ado, I will begin.

(As with my previous timelines, I encourage feedback.  If I do not receive feedback, I will end the TL)
justW353
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 05:41:18 PM »

The Oval Office, September 1963  Jack, I'm not gonna authorize it.  It's not right.  Hoover's a scumbag, I'd go as far as to say he's more anti-American then King.

Bobby, he's startin' some bad things.  Now look, I know that the movement is good, but he's causing trouble. 

These tappings ain't doin' no good for us, Jack.  They already know bout them, and even then, what are we looking for.  He changed his whole goddamn march for you, Jack. 

He's got communist ties, Bobby.

So convince him to drop Levinson.  Martin's not doing us any wrong.

If you can convince him to cut ties with Levinson, I'll put Hoover in his place...

I'll give it a shot, Jack.

Telephone Call from the White House, September 1963  Look, Martin, just think about it.  The movement is legitimate, and it's gonna happen.  I'm working for you here.  Please, just do this for me.

Stan is a good man, and he is not a communist.

I don't doubt that, Martin.  However, Hoover does.  He's trying to get to you, and unless you drop Levinson, well...my hands are tied.

Bobby, I'll think about it.  I'm not afraid of Hoover. 

I wouldn't be either.  Still, things are much quicker with the government on your side.  Just cut ties with Levinson and I'll guarantee your next hotel room has zero bugs.  That's a promise from the President himself.

I need to think about this.  I'll get back to you.

A week later, Martin Luther King told the Attorney General he would end his connections with Stanley Levinson.  The next day, President Kennedy ordered the FBI to end all investigations into Martin Luther King, Jr.

A shaky friendship soon developed between Bobby Kennedy and Martin Luther King.  It strengthened with the assassination of President Jack Kennedy, and with the signing of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. 

Attorney General Robert Kennedy soon became a Senator.  He campaigned with Doctor King, with whom he had formed a close friendship by 1966.  By that time, Senator Kennedy was already planning a run for the Presidency.

Martin King continued to fight for racial justice.  He continued to speak out against the Vietnam War.  Meanwhile, Senator Kennedy also called for an end to the War in Vietnam, and a full War on Poverty.

After President Lyndon Johson announced he would not seek reelection to the Presidency, Senator Kennedy made a unsurprising announcement, he would run in '68.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 05:47:15 PM »

Very good, looking at the title, I'm wondering if a certain civil rights leader will live a longer life...
justW353
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 08:54:04 PM »

(As with my previous timelines, I encourage feedback.  If I do not receive feedback, I will end the TL)
Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
hantheguitarman

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 10:47:39 PM »

As the person who thought up of this POD, I have to say that you're doing an excellent job so far! Cheesy It's really good, and I can't wait to see your next updates! Smiley And thanks for giving me credit! Smiley
aaaa2222
yoman82

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 11:16:45 PM »

Interesting, I would love to see the butterflies take Bobby Kennedy to the White House.
justW353
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2010, 10:31:15 AM »

It was known that Vice President Hubert Humphrey had his eyes on the Presidency.  Rather than run in the primaries, he instead focused on winning delegates in nonprimary states.  The battle for the Democratic nomination centered around two candidates; Senators Eugene McCarthy and Robert Kennedy.  Multiple "favorite son" candidates also ran, including George Smathers, Stephen Young, and Roger Branigin.

The Republican nomination was equally contested.  Among the candidates were Richard Nixon, Ronald Reagan, Nelson Rockefeller, and George Romney.  The Former Vice President had an early advantage in the primaries.

Telephone Call from Hyannis, Massachusetts to Chicago, Illinois; April 1, 1968  Bobby, the support for Humphrey is only superficial, you know that.  I guarantee you will win this one.

Lyndon's never gonna give this one to me, you know that.

So we don't give him a choice.  Just focus on Oregon.  Send Ted to try to deliver some non-primary states.  I'll get you Illinois at the convention.

Are you sure about this Rich?

Positive.  Just trust me, and it's yours.

Alright...

On April 4, Martin Luther King, Jr. was shot in Memphis, Tennessee.  He was struck with a single bullet which penetrated his lung before becoming lodged in his back.  Wherever King was, an ambulance and police were near, and he was rushed to the hospital while paramedics rushed to save his life.  The bullet, which came within a quarter inch of his heart, was removed, and two weeks later he was released from the hospital.  King saw this attempt as one of many attempts, not as a special event.

Martin Luther King Jr., who narrowly survived an assassination attempt on April 4, 1968

Telephone Call from Los Angeles to Atlanta, May 1968  How are you feeling, Martin?

I feel alright.  You know how it is...People like us, we have to expect this stuff.

I know how you feel.  Anyways, I have a serious question to ask you.  You're a Republican, right?

Of course I am. 

Why don't you become a Democrat? 

I couldn't do th-

I know, I know.  The Democrats have done some horrible things in the past.  I know that.  But things are changing Martin.  The Democrats are the ones delivering the change here, not the Republicans.  Daley's gonna give me Illinois, and I'm gonna win this one.  But I want you by my side when I'm President.  I can't do that if you're a Republican.

I don't know Bobby.

Martin, I'm not gonna force you to do this...Just think about it...Who's been working for you for the past eight years?  We passed the Civil Rights Act, not the Republicans.

I'll let you know.

In May, Martin Luther King Jr. become a Democrat.  Throughout that month, he campaigned with Bobby Kennedy throughout Oregon.  On the 28th, Senator Kennedy won a narrow victory there, crushing Eugene McCarthy's momentum. 

On June 4, Senator Kennedy won in California, New Jersey, and South Dakota.  After he was declared the winner in California, he left his hotel room in the Ambassador Hotel, and with friends (including Martin King) and his family, took the elevator downstairs to accept victory.  After giving his speech, he walked through the pantry of the hotel, and into the kitchen, on his way to the less congested service elevator...
justW353
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2010, 12:37:45 PM »

yougo1000
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2010, 12:39:31 PM »
« Edited: April 10, 2010, 06:22:01 PM by Polaqi TLmaker »

I love it!!
justW353
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2010, 12:59:11 PM »

Shortly after midnight, as Senator Robert F. Kennedy greeted hotel staff in the kitchen of the Ambassador Hotel, a Palestianian immigrant named Sirhan Sirhan fired a small caliber revolver at the Senator. 

The would be assassin managed to fire off one shot before he was tackled by football star Rosey Grier, who was working as a bodyguard for Senator Kennedy.  The Senator was been struck by the bullet, which hit him in the abdomen and traveled into his stomach, becoming lodged there.  The Senator was rushed to the hospital, and after surgery made a full recovery.

Robert F. Kennedy, who survived an assassination attempt on June 4, 1968

The Senator was released from the hospital on June 9.  The next day, he flew with Martin Luther King to Chicago, where they did some last minute campaigning.  Later that day, Senator Kennedy flew back to California, and arrived at his campaign headquarters just in time to hear the news that he would carry Illinois' delegates.

Next:  The Convention
Historico
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2010, 01:09:36 PM »

Hmmm a Kennedy/King Ticket lol, i know it we liberals wet dream but in reality Bobby wouldn't need Martin. He already had the black vote lock step behind him in 1968, hell even Humphrey due to his past status as a "Happy Warrior" for Civil Rights, would only get a minimal boost from picking MLK. Maybe if a Conservative was nominated like Senator Scoop Jackson with a questionable postiion on Civil Rights. But running those two together (The Ultimate War Hawk vs. the Baptist Pacifist) would be like Oil and Water lol...Can't wait to see how you pull this off...Keep it comming!!!
justW353
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2010, 01:22:09 PM »

Hmmm a Kennedy/King Ticket lol, i know it we liberals wet dream but in reality Bobby wouldn't need Martin. He already had the black vote lock step behind him in 1968, hell even Humphrey due to his past status as a "Happy Warrior" for Civil Rights, would only get a minimal boost from picking MLK. Maybe if a Conservative was nominated like Senator Scoop Jackson with a questionable postiion on Civil Rights. But running those two together (The Ultimate War Hawk vs. the Baptist Pacifist) would be like Oil and Water lol...Can't wait to see how you pull this off...Keep it comming!!!

No comment on the Kennedy/King thing...Wink

Let's just say the convention is going to be pretty bad...
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2010, 05:06:34 PM »

Yougo1000-- Do you mind editing your post so that it doesn't mess with the page?

Excellent so far, JustW.
yougo1000
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2010, 06:22:29 PM »

Yougo1000-- Do you mind editing your post so that it doesn't mess with the page?

Excellent so far, JustW.

Yeah sorry about that
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2010, 06:57:29 PM »

Excellent so far, JustW.

Yeah sorry about that

Thanks. Smiley
justW353
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2010, 08:16:24 PM »

The 1968 Democratic National Convention

The 1968 Democratic National Convention was riffed with controversy.  The convention was held in Chicago, and Mayor Richard Dealey was predicted to have great power in choosing who would be the party's nominee.

A party's convention is traditionally the time when adversaries unite for a greater goal.  This was not the case in 1968.  Instead, with anti-war demonstrations outside and a hotly contested delegate battle, it showed great splits in the Democratic Party.

Protests at the 1968 Democratic National Convention

Martin Luther King was in Chicago in 1968.  He spoke to the convention on the first day, receiving applause from the northern and western Democrats and slurs from southern Democrats.  However, one decision King made would change the course of American history. 

Mayor Richard Dealey was facing embarrassment for the protests taking place in Chicago.  Fights had broken out and one person had been killed.  At the urging of Senator Kennedy, King spoke to the crowds outside, effectively calming them into a peace rally, rather than anti-war protest.  He would do the same in Grant Park, and would receive the great appreciation of Mayor Dealey, whose reputation was saved.

Before the Presidential nomination vote was cast, Mayor Dealey proclaimed his support for Senator Kennedy.  President Johnson was seen on television mouthing the words "Goddamn Traitor!", but the damage had been done to Vice President Humphrey's campaign.  As Senators and Representatives began to openly rebuke the Johnson/Humphrey administration in their speeches, it became increasingly clear that this nomination would not be as simple as Humphrey had hoped.

First Ballot:

Hubert Humphrey:  1063.5
Robert Kennedy:  912.5
Eugene McCarthy:  547.5
George McGovern:  23
Edward Kennedy:  16
George Wallace:  15
Channing Phillips:  14
Daniel Moore:  10.5
Paul Bryant:  5
Martin King:  1

Second Ballot:

Hubert Humphrey:  1068.5
Robert Kennedy:  950
Eugene McCarthy:  589.5

Conversation on the Floor of the Convention:  Look Gene, you're not gonna win this one.  Throw your delegates to me, and you'll have a spot in the administration.  Plus, we can't let Humphrey win this one.

...Alright.  Alright.  I'll do it Bobby, but you better hold up to your end here...

I will.  I promise.

Third Ballot:

Robert F. Kennedy:  1519.5
Hubert H. Humphrey:  1088.5

Robert Francis Kennedy, the 1968 Democratic Nominee for President

After Senator Kennedy recieved the neccessary amount of delegates, President Johnson bowed his head in defeat.  However, the floor erupted in applause.  In his acceptance speech, Senator Kennedy announced his choice for Vice President; Civil Rights Leader Martin Luther King, Jr.

For years, my dear friend Martin Luther King has fought tirelessly for the equality of all peoples.  My friends, our party is quickly changing.  We are revolutionizing America, and Doctor King has been the face of this revolution for the past decade. 

Tonight, I am making a historic request to this body.  Tonight, I am choosing history and change and the future over the past.  Tonight, I ask you to nominate Martin Luther King as this party's nominee for Vice President!

The choice was met with mixed reactions.  The northern wing of the party was madly enthused, and Mayor Dealey proclaimed his support for King.  The southern wing of the party stormed out of the auditorium.  Racial slurs were yelled as Martin King took the stage. 

Vice Presidential Vote:

Martin King:  1446
Not Voting:  978
Others:  183

The 1968 Democratic Presidential Ticket

Historico
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2010, 08:34:49 PM »

God, Wallace is going to have a field day with the King pick...The election is going to be hella close
justW353
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2010, 12:51:03 AM »

SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2010, 01:01:36 AM »

The election is going to be messy.

Great TL. Damn great.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2010, 05:38:54 PM »

Great update! Smiley
Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
hantheguitarman

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2010, 05:39:50 PM »

Great updates! Smiley Can't wait to see the election!
yougo1000
United States

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2010, 05:40:07 PM »

The election is going to be messy.

Great TL. Damn great.
justW353
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2010, 08:36:38 PM »

Background:  1968 General Election

And so, the general election began.  The competitors; Robert F. Kennedy, Richard Nixon, and George Wallace.  It would prove to be the most decisive and indecent elections in American history.

Senator Robert F. Kennedy

Former Vice President Richard M. Nixon

Former Governor George C. Wallace

Former Vice President Nixon ran his campaign with one central goal; to win the south.  He predicted that if he could successfully counter George Wallace in the Deep South, he would win the election.

On the other hand, Senator Kennedy ran to win three pivotal regions; California, the Northeast, and the Rust Belt (including Illinois).  He was confident that Chicago would vote for him, but he wanted assurance that the rest of the state would follow suit. 

As the campaign for the presidency officially began, Senator Kennedy faced a dilemma.  He was worried that President Johnson would attempt to undermine his campaign if he spoke out against Vietnam.  At first, he decided to leave Martin King to campaigning against Vietnam.  However, that changed after Vice President Humphrey made it clear to reporters he would not support Senator Kennedy's campaign.  After hearing this, Senator Kennedy called for a halt of US involvement in Vietnam.  Senator Kennedy also vowed to continue and expand President Johnson's Great Society programs and expand the War on Poverty. 

On October 1, Vice Presidential nominee Martin Luther King was shot at in Houston, Texas.  This was one of many attempts on his life in the short campaign, but was particular in that two men had opened fire at a King rally, resulting in the deaths of four civilians and one Secret Service agent, plus the two assassins.  King was not wounded in the attack.

October 1 - Polling

Kennedy/King:  34%
Nixon/Agnew:  32%
Wallace/LeMay:  19%
Unsure:  15%

Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2010, 08:49:50 PM »

This is great!

However, I wonder if HHH would actually say that he wouldn't support Bobby?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies