Homosexuals, when will we become equal American citizens?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:45:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Homosexuals, when will we become equal American citizens?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Homosexuals, when will we become equal American citizens?  (Read 4199 times)
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2010, 12:00:14 PM »

Why won't they have social acceptance? Homosexuality was socially acceptable in Ancient Greece and Rome.

For certain kinds of man-boy relationships, mostly, where for the boy (the bottom) it was but a stage on the way to a hetero marriage. It was not considerable acceptable as a perma-partners life style.

To the contrary, among certain Greek polities - the Peloponnesians particularly - monogamous heterosexuality was actively frowned upon as a subordination of the stronger to the weaker sex, while homosexual partners would frequently have a long-term commitment to one another. This extended to the Macedonians, who were relatives of the Peloponnesians. Heterosexual relationships still happened, of course, but were not encouraged.

That is interesting. I guess my impression on this comes from Athenian norms.

I've already discussed the Athenians in a different context elsewhere. They were hardly 'normative' amongst Greeks, and, if we looked at them with an objective eye, we'd probably find them far more deplorable than their neighbors. So hated were they that even their allies, even their colonies, turned on them by the end of the Peloponnesian War.

You are correct, of course, in saying that the Athenians were the most heteronormative society in Greece; but they were not the norm in the era (and even then, they were vastly more tolerant than all but the most liberal of American states on the issue).

Ironically, it was only with the spread of Christianity through the Roman Empire in the 3rd century AD that homosexuality became frowned upon altogether rather than just catamites. It began with an attempt by Phillip the Arab to ban gay prostitution and ended with Christian emperors proscribing the death penalty for homosexuality.

So not only does it oppose homosexuality now, it opposed it then too.

Christianity has poisoned every culture it's come into contact with; that's hardly a surprise.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2010, 12:02:49 PM »

Not for awhile I'm afraid, especially being in the South.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2010, 05:42:13 PM »

I'm not gay, however I don't see it happening fully for a long time... even California supported Prop 8. I'd reckon that Gays will be able to be wed fully, in all (50 or 51? Smiley) states in about 30 years.

And the sad thing is, I have no idea if this is even remotely reasonable. I might be being optimistic, or perhaps a little pesimistic...
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies