Al Gore/Dianne Feinstein vs. George Bush Jr./Dick Cheney 2000
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:54:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  Al Gore/Dianne Feinstein vs. George Bush Jr./Dick Cheney 2000
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Al Gore/Dianne Feinstein vs. George Bush Jr./Dick Cheney 2000  (Read 3900 times)
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 11, 2010, 04:02:35 PM »

Everything else stays the same. How would this election turn out? Discuss, with maps.

Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 04:06:44 PM »

Gore/Feinstein-343 EV
Bush Jr./Cheney-195 EV
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 01:53:36 PM »

Gore/Feinstein-343 EV
Bush Jr./Cheney-195 EV

You really think Diane Feinstein would have flipped Tennessee and Missouri?
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 03:16:09 PM »

Gore/Feinstein-343 EV
Bush Jr./Cheney-195 EV

She would have energized the female vote (as well as moderates and possibly the base) and might have allowed MO and TN to flip. Gore needed only a 2% swing in each of those states to flip--Feinstein might have very well delivered that kind of swing.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 03:47:15 PM »

Gore/Feinstein-343 EV
Bush Jr./Cheney-195 EV

She would have energized the female vote (as well as moderates and possibly the base) and might have allowed MO and TN to flip. Gore needed only a 2% swing in each of those states to flip--Feinstein might have very well delivered that kind of swing.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
I'm sure Feinstein would do very well in the gunhappy South and Mountain West.......hell, she could probably even swing Kansas or Arkansas.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 05:25:18 PM »

314-224
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 06:44:43 PM »

Gore/Feinstein-343 EV
Bush Jr./Cheney-195 EV

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
I'm sure Feinstein would do very well in the gunhappy South and Mountain West.......hell, she could probably even swing Kansas or Arkansas.

Gore and Lierberman were also staunchly anti-gun in 2000. Probably less than Feinstein, but still. Feinstein could have flip-flopped on the issue though and said that she would favor the states deciding for themselves on gun rights. Flip-flopping wasn't that big of a deal until 2004, so she could have gotten away with it. Besides, she would have helped energize the female vote in favor of Gore.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 06:57:52 PM »

Having Feinstein on the ticket wouldn't have "energized the female vote" except among Democrats who were already voting for Gore anyway.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 07:16:30 PM »

Having Feinstein on the ticket wouldn't have "energized the female vote" except among Democrats who were already voting for Gore anyway.

What about liberal Nader voters?
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 07:17:34 PM »

Uh, they'd still vote for Nader of course.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 07:24:26 PM »

Well, I think I saw some polls from 2008 where up toa  quarter of GOP women said that they would vote for Hillary, and this was before the financial crisis. Thus, I could see Feinstein winning over some GOP women who might have otherwise planned to vote for Bush.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 12:19:03 AM »

Well, I think I saw some polls from 2008 where up toa  quarter of GOP women said that they would vote for Hillary, and this was before the financial crisis. Thus, I could see Feinstein winning over some GOP women who might have otherwise planned to vote for Bush.

I really don't see Feinstein energizing southern women to come out and vote...
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2010, 12:21:40 AM »

Well, maybe I was being too optimistic in giving Gore TN & MO, but I still think she might have flipped FL, NH, OH, and NV to Gore.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2010, 08:44:20 AM »

Well, I think I saw some polls from 2008 where up toa  quarter of GOP women said that they would vote for Hillary, and this was before the financial crisis. Thus, I could see Feinstein winning over some GOP women who might have otherwise planned to vote for Bush.

Well, maybe I was being too optimistic in giving Gore TN & MO, but I still think she might have flipped FL, NH, OH, and NV to Gore.

Say guys, I believe that Geraldine Ferraro would really energize the female vote this election.........

Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2010, 08:59:38 AM »

Well, I think I saw some polls from 2008 where up toa  quarter of GOP women said that they would vote for Hillary, and this was before the financial crisis. Thus, I could see Feinstein winning over some GOP women who might have otherwise planned to vote for Bush.

Say guys, I believe that Geraldine Ferraro would really energize the female vote this election.........

Sure, not all women are like Geraldine Ferraro, but Dianne Feinstein is one of the most divisive figures in recent American memory.  This is the woman who strawmanned the militia movement of the mid 90's as abunch of anti-semitic white supremacists before getting her ass handed to her by a black militia group leader.  Gore and Liebermann, as "staunchly gun control" as they were in 2000 couldn't hold a candle to this woman's ignorant bigotry towards American gun owners.  The GOP would be able to portray the Democratic ticket as tyrannic gun grabbing imperialists (remember Bush campaigned as the peace candidate) and might even win Michigan and Pennsylvania thanks to Feinstein's extremism.  Oh yeah, and Florida wouldn't even be close.:

Al Gore (TN)/Dianne Feinstein (CA) 183 EV
George W. Bush (TX)/Dick Cheney (WY) 355 EV
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2010, 09:06:14 AM »

Sure, not all women are like Geraldine Ferraro, but Dianne Feinstein is one of the most divisive figures in recent American memory.  This is the woman who strawmanned the militia movement of the mid 90's as abunch of anti-semitic white supremacists before getting her ass handed to her by a black militia group leader.  Gore and Liebermann, as "staunchly gun control" as they were in 2000 couldn't hold a candle to this woman's ignorant bigotry towards American gun owners.  The GOP would be able to portray the Democratic ticket as tyrannic gun grabbing imperialists (remember Bush campaigned as the peace candidate) and might even win Michigan and Pennsylvania thanks to Feinstein's extremism.  Oh yeah, and Florida wouldn't even be close.:

Thank you, Mech. Cheesy
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2010, 09:07:55 AM »

*FACEPALM*
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2010, 12:05:40 PM »

I hope that facepalm wasn't at me.
But guessing your name it's probably at Roch.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2010, 06:09:32 PM »

Thank you, Mech. Cheesy

I think that if someone was worried Gore would take their guns away, they would have voted for Bush Jr. with or without Feinstein. Thus, I don't really see how she would hurt Gore that much more among gun owners. As I previously mentioned, Feinstein could flip-flop on her positions and say that she was just talking about semi-automatic weapons and not about all guns and that she was just representing the views of her state (CA) in the Senate. Also, I think that even if Feinstein would do a do a very small amount of damage to Gore due to her position on gun rights, she would more than compensate for it by increasing his support among women, moderates, and even the Democratic base, thus enabling Gore to win the election. Finally, the reason Ferraro failed to energize the female vote in 1984 was because many women knew that Reagan was going to win in a landslide even if they voted for Mondale. Thus, they didn't see much point in switching their support (or votes). However, in a close race (like 2000), much more women would have felt that they could have influenced the outcome of that election and thus I think much more Bush-supporting and Nader-supporting women would have crossed over to support Gore due to Feinstein. You got to keep in mind that many women in the U.S. want(ed) to see a female President or V.P. elected, and that desire of theirs often trumped their other views or their partisan ideologies.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies