Huckabee moves to Florida (less income taxes)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:07:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Huckabee moves to Florida (less income taxes)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Huckabee moves to Florida (less income taxes)  (Read 2076 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 14, 2010, 02:17:31 PM »

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2010/apr/14/both-huckabees-now-florida-voters-20100414/
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 02:19:11 PM »

Well thats fun.
The Age Wave
silent_spade07
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -2.43

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 05:41:25 PM »

More Rubio voters. Tongue
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 05:49:12 PM »

Arkansas is too good for him anyway. They still have Bill Clinton. Oh wait...............
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 02:26:49 AM »

Arkansas is too good for him anyway. They still have Bill Clinton. Oh wait...............

Make love to me, Rochambeau.  Arouse and caress me with your witty responses.  I'll show a poll you'll never forget.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 05:44:15 AM »

Make love to me, Rochambeau.  Arouse and caress me with your witty responses.  I'll show a poll you'll never forget.

That was probably the wittiest post he's ever made, let him have his win.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 10:26:38 AM »

That was probably the wittiest post he's ever made, let him have his win.

That's what is so sexy about it.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 10:31:44 AM »

Talent moving elsewhere is a problem for the more provencial states. I very much doubt taxes were a key concern. The price of reasonalbe housing in FL will more than offset the difference there. The more metropolitan states (CA, NY, FL...) have so much more to offer.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 12:15:33 PM »

Memphis, I don't think housing in the panhandle is that high, or more than enough to offset the benefit of no income tax
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 01:16:50 PM »

Memphis, I don't think housing in the panhandle is that high, or more than enough to offset the benefit of no income tax

He's living on the beach in a very popular vacation area. You really don't think that costs more than just about anywhere in Arkansas? In case you need evidence:

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/5160-Beachwalk-Dr-Unit-5160_Miramar-Beach_FL_32550_1085445379

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/308-Windhill_North-Little-Rock_AR_72118_1117352458

I really don't blame him for wanting to live on the beach, but to claim that he's doing it for the taxes it pretty absurd.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 08:20:20 PM »

Ah, I didn't realize it was the beach.  I'm sure he moved for all kinds of reasons.  No one moves just because of taxes (one of the benefits of having money is you get to live where you want), but you compared the place he was moving to like California & New York when he's really not moving to a major metropolitan area at all in the sense of major coastal cities.

Shrug.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2010, 10:07:50 PM »

Ah, I didn't realize it was the beach.  I'm sure he moved for all kinds of reasons. 

That area in the Panhandle is really nice, especially Walton and Okaloosa counties.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2010, 01:39:09 AM »

He's living on the beach in a very popular vacation area. You really don't think that costs more than just about anywhere in Arkansas? In case you need evidence:

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/5160-Beachwalk-Dr-Unit-5160_Miramar-Beach_FL_32550_1085445379

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/308-Windhill_North-Little-Rock_AR_72118_1117352458

I really don't blame him for wanting to live on the beach, but to claim that he's doing it for the taxes it pretty absurd.

Property taxes and insurance costs will probably be at least 3 or 4 times higher then Arkansas. Insurance is very hard to get in Florida, especially if you're on the beach.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2010, 01:15:37 PM »

I moved to FL for several reasons and taxes was one of the biggest, but there are others that actually make FL considerable when thinking about which state is the most conservative internally.

1. no income taxes
2. super majority to raise taxes
3. right to work guaranteed in the constitution
4. parents choose schools by vouchers
5. balanced budget amendment
6. tort reform passed a few years ago
7. term limits for state officials
8. budgets for most counties are posted online

Most of all, FL is a more lucrative state to have than Arkansas when running for president. He's going to win Arkansas anyway.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2010, 02:07:53 PM »

Over 40 states have one of those, IIRC.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2010, 03:51:18 PM »

Mike Huckabee has more class moving to Florida than the Clintons had moving to New York for political gain. Wait am I onto something? Why is it that Arkansas governors feel such a need to abandon ship when concerning their home states? No one does that in TX!
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2010, 07:31:19 PM »

Mike Huckabee has more class moving to Florida than the Clintons had moving to New York for political gain. Wait am I onto something? Why is it that Arkansas governors feel such a need to abandon ship when concerning their home states? No one does that in TX!

The sample size for Texas since George Bush left in 2000 is 1, and he's still governor as they don't have term limits.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2010, 12:16:32 PM »

Bush left Texas to be president. Being from Texas provided him with a strong base and a good following. I'm not sure what term limits has to do with that but I'm all for term limits for every office.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2010, 02:43:29 PM »

Obviously representing/governing a larger state gives one a stronger claim to the presidency for any number of reasons (better fundraising base, more media coverage, etc etc etc).

But I mean, your argument doesn't get thaaaaaaaat far considering the president right before was from Arkansas.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2010, 12:41:45 AM »

Clinton also ran against 2 conservatives rather than just one. He was still seen as untrustworthy and inexperienced. It's just not the best state to be from in an election. I'm not saying it can never be done.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2010, 10:58:24 AM »

We've lost Mitt Romney to New Hampshire and Bill Weld to New York. Cellucci left for Canada but came home, at least.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2010, 01:37:49 PM »

Mitt Romney moves all around. Did you know he also lives in California lol. That makes CA, UT, NH, MA, and MI his home states.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies