Why Do People Actually Think Ron Paul's Going To Run In 2012?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:03:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Why Do People Actually Think Ron Paul's Going To Run In 2012?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why Do People Actually Think Ron Paul's Going To Run In 2012?  (Read 2400 times)
Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
hantheguitarman

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 15, 2010, 08:35:20 PM »

I like Ron Paul, I love what he stands for, and I agree with a lot of his positions. With that being said, why are people acting like Ron Paul is going to run for the GOP nomination in 2012? I think I said this in another thread, but Ron Paul would be seventy-seven years old if he was sworn into office on January 20, 2013. The oldest President in the United States, Ronald Reagan, was seventy-seven when he left office on January 20, 1989 (though he turned seventy-eight a month later). The point is, that Ron Paul will be really old in 2012, and I don't think he'd subject himself to the stresses of the national campaign trail in 2012.

I'm not saying that a libertarian can't win the Republican nomination in 2012 (though the odds are unfortunately stacked against them), I'm just saying that I don't think Ron Paul will even consider running in 2012.
DS0816
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 08:45:11 PM »

I like Ron Paul, I love what he stands for, and I agree with a lot of his positions. With that being said, why are people acting like Ron Paul is going to run for the GOP nomination in 2012?

It's a discussion forum. People want to go fishing for candidates who could emerge with the 2012 presidential nomination for the opposition White House party.

Up to you in what, and who, to take seriously.

My opinion on Rep. Ron Paul's [R-Texas #14] presidential chances: The Republican Party doesn't want him nominated. They don't want him on the top of the ticket nor as the vice-presidential running mate. Ron Paul being in congress is enough for the Republican Party. (By the way: they don't want Ron's son, Rand, winning the GOP senatorial nomination in Ky., neither; I'll provide a below link.…)

http://www.frumforum.com/will-rand-paul-wreck-gop-kentucky-hopes
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 08:59:59 PM »

I like Ron Paul, I love what he stands for, and I agree with a lot of his positions. With that being said, why are people acting like Ron Paul is going to run for the GOP nomination in 2012? I think I said this in another thread, but Ron Paul would be seventy-seven years old if he was sworn into office on January 20, 2013. The oldest President in the United States, Ronald Reagan, was seventy-seven when he left office on January 20, 1989 (though he turned seventy-eight a month later). The point is, that Ron Paul will be really old in 2012, and I don't think he'd subject himself to the stresses of the national campaign trail in 2012.

I'm not saying that a libertarian can't win the Republican nomination in 2012 (though the odds are unfortunately stacked against them), I'm just saying that I don't think Ron Paul will even consider running in 2012.

Because he most likely is going to be running.
hantheguitarman

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 09:11:29 PM »

Why is he most likely going to be running? He's really old, and he could easily endorse Gary Johnson, who could carry on the Ron Paul tradition. Hell, Ron Paul could even endorse Rand Paul (assuming he wins the Kentucky Senate Race), and that seems more realistic than Ron Paul running (to me at least).
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 09:43:41 PM »

Why is he most likely going to be running? He's really old, and he could easily endorse Gary Johnson, who could carry on the Ron Paul tradition. Hell, Ron Paul could even endorse Rand Paul (assuming he wins the Kentucky Senate Race), and that seems more realistic than Ron Paul running (to me at least).

Rand Paul will be ready in 2016 or 2020. Ron Paul will be ready for 2012.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 09:50:06 PM »

Gary Johnson is a nobody, though.  At least Ron Paul has a national following and a lot of name recognition.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 10:19:22 PM »

Gary Johnson is a nobody, though.  At least Ron Paul has a national following and a lot of name recognition.

Paul's name recognition was virtually zero before 2007.  He built that name recognition and his following based on his performance in the 2008 GOP presidential debates.  Johnson's strategy would presumably follow the same model.  I have no idea whether he could successfully replicate Paul's following, but that would be the plan, should he end up running.
hantheguitarman

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 10:26:51 PM »

Paul's name recognition was virtually zero before 2007.  He built that name recognition and his following based on his performance in the 2008 GOP presidential debates.  Johnson's strategy would presumably follow the same model.  I have no idea whether he could successfully replicate Paul's following, but that would be the plan, should he end up running.

If Paul endorsed Johnson, followers would flock fast.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 10:33:28 PM »

No. That's not how it works.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 11:45:59 PM »

Wishful thinking, but I don't think it's completely unrealistic to see him run.

If he doesn't then I want to see Rand at least as a VP candidate.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2010, 12:04:44 AM »

He has been saying he has no plans but hasn't ruled it out completely. In 2008, he got a late start getting an organization in place that Romney and McCain were probably putting in place immediately after the 2004 election. If Paul does run, he is putting himself in a much better position to do so. Johnson should have ran for something else since his term as governor ended to help keep his name out there. Not sure if it's the name or if Ron Paul is campaigning more but Rand Paul is taking off in his Senate race while Peter Schiff is not. So I don't think Paul telling everyone to support Johnson would instantly give Johnson that boost. Also remember how much Paul's endorsement helped out Baldwin in 2008 ( < 1% ).

I think Ron Paul will ultimately come to (and may have already came to) the decision that there is no one else has a better combination of name recognition and ideology to run than him, so he will decide to run.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2010, 01:05:21 AM »

He has been saying he has no plans but hasn't ruled it out completely. In 2008, he got a late start getting an organization in place that Romney and McCain were probably putting in place immediately after the 2004 election. If Paul does run, he is putting himself in a much better position to do so. Johnson should have ran for something else since his term as governor ended to help keep his name out there. Not sure if it's the name or if Ron Paul is campaigning more but Rand Paul is taking off in his Senate race while Peter Schiff is not. So I don't think Paul telling everyone to support Johnson would instantly give Johnson that boost. Also remember how much Paul's endorsement helped out Baldwin in 2008 ( < 1% ).

I think Ron Paul will ultimately come to (and may have already came to) the decision that there is no one else has a better combination of name recognition and ideology to run than him, so he will decide to run.

I was getting ready to support Johnson, but he just isn't an exciting candidate. Plus his position on abortion leaves much to be desired.

Paul has it all.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2010, 07:49:51 AM »

Gary Johnson is more reasonable than Ron Paul....which is why he'd do worse than Ron Paul in the Republican Primaries.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2010, 04:09:43 PM »

In all fairness, a rhyming slogan is a necessary first step to elective office.  Good job.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2010, 04:13:39 PM »

Gary Johnson is more reasonable than Ron Paul....which is why he'd do worse than Ron Paul in the Republican Primaries.

I'd expect that Johnson would do worse due to an inability to fire up a base as well as Paul more than anything else. At the same time, they are both much too reasonable to actually go anywhere in the Republican primaries.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2010, 06:38:03 PM »

No. That's not how it works.
^
Gary Johnson just ISNT Ron Paul. Paul has ID, backing, and is becoming more likable every day since Obama. Why wouldn't he try? He could win Nevada, have a shot in New Hampshrie and if he pulls that off he could win the nomination. He'd at least be  acredible candidate this time around with pull in the west and libertarian states
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2010, 06:43:14 PM »

I'd expect that Johnson would do worse due to an inability to fire up a base as well as Paul more than anything else. At the same time, they are both much too reasonable to actually go anywhere in the Republican primaries.

For real.
I say let the GOP suffer a massive defeat in 2012 due to their insane nationalist tea party base, then when they realize that extremism is indeed a vice they turn towards sane people like Paul or Johnson.
Just my feelings on the matter.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2010, 12:28:27 AM »

Well the latest poll showed Obama 42 Paul 41. There are alot of conservatives who like Ron Paul and the tea party matches him pretty well.  However, I believe that his views on Iraq disqualify him from commander in chief. He'd be a great governor for Texas.  Also, how do I make a state for myself as an icon on here?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2010, 12:44:22 AM »

Also, how do I make a state for myself as an icon on here?

Click on the Profile button under the site banner on any page on the forum or click on your username next to your post. From there, click on the Forum Profile Information option & you can select an avatar for yourself there.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2010, 01:28:39 AM »

Well the latest poll showed Obama 42 Paul 41. There are alot of conservatives who like Ron Paul and the tea party matches him pretty well.  However, I believe that his views on Iraq disqualify him from commander in chief. He'd be a great governor for Texas.  Also, how do I make a state for myself as an icon on here?

So because he adheres to what the Constitution says with regard to the war in Iraq, this disqualifies him from being president?
hantheguitarman

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2010, 09:19:19 AM »

So what about Ron Paul's advanced age?
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2010, 10:26:34 AM »

Because not having a chance only occasionally convinces someone not to run.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies