What does everyone here think about a Flat Tax? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:10:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  What does everyone here think about a Flat Tax? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What does everyone here think about a Flat Tax?  (Read 1199 times)
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« on: April 21, 2010, 09:06:17 AM »

I support a much "flatter" tax, though not an absolute flat tax. Here's the type of system I'd support:

A certain amount of everyone's income would be exempt from tax - let's say the first $25,000. (not necessarily the number that it should be, so don't read into it) All income after that is taxed at a certain rate, let's say 18%. (again, not necessarily the rate it should be, just an example) So if you make $25,001 a year, you pay 18 cents in income taxes.

A few factors could increase your exemption, such as having children or other dependents, disabilities, disasters (house burns down, death of a family member whose funeral you have to pay for, large amounts of out of pocket medical expenses, etc.) - basically things that everyday people have to deal with, not things that give large exemptions to the wealthy.

Things like capital gains wouldn't be included in this system, and would be taxed separately.

I think this kind of system doesn't favor the rich, as the really poor aren't going to be paying anything and the rich will have a greater percentage of their income taxed than most people. It's also a very simple system that would reduce much of the complexities in our tax code.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies