Corporal punishment
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:40:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Corporal punishment
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Which of these should be legal?
Home corporal punishment

School corporal punishment

Judicial corporal punishment

NOTA you reactionary freak.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 32

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Corporal punishment  (Read 2105 times)
Free Trade is managed by the invisible hand.
HoffmanJohn
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2010, 01:21:42 PM »
« edited: April 16, 2010, 01:25:12 PM by HoffmanJohn »

Punishing your children does not teach them how to handle the situation any better. Instead of punishment I would instead use the socratic method to force the child to think about his/her values. This Shouldn't be too controversial because such things as Fairness, and Justice are values that have become almost instinctive.

I also find that corporal punishment is directly connected with Right Wing Authoritarianism.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2010, 01:32:02 PM »

Option 1, I suppose. Parents are & should be afforded a great deal of leeway in how they raise their children, though with limitations nevertheless.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2010, 01:40:07 PM »

Option 1
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2010, 11:31:36 PM »

Nobody should have a right to tell me how I'm going to raise and discipline my children.  For most kids, "time out" is not nearly severe enough and is not effective for the most part.  My father whacked my butt 8 times for my grades (in one sitting) and I can honestly say I am a better man for it.  Without that, I would have been graduating high school at age 20 which is extremely embarrassing.  Schools should also have that option with the express written consent of the parents.  The parents should then whack the child's behind that night.  Judicial corporal punishment is acceptable, too, because if it can be used on school children involved in a minor childish dispute, it should be used on adults that are committing actual crimes against humanity without the consent of the guilty as to what he or she will receive.

This is one issue where I am extremely right-wing and unashamedly so.

I can tell you one thing, I will spank my children's behinds when they get in trouble no matter what the law says.  If my child needs a whoopin', then by golly, I'm gonna let 'em have it.  I am not going to mentally handicap my child for the rest of his life, in fact, I will sharpen his mind mentally.

I will also not be afraid to whack my young children on the behind in public places if they misbehave.  Now, when they get older, I can't really do that.  One of the many good things about Oklahoma is that people will actually thank you for spanking your child in public if he or she is "disturbing the peace".

Our parents and grandparents had it right when it came to corporal punishment.  My generation has it mostly wrong.  Our children need their mom and dad to be their parents, not their best friend.

So, I am in complete agreement of all three choices.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2010, 11:44:27 PM »

Wack them. Heck, my Dad two or three times took the strap to me, and I am not all that twisted, and love my dear departed Dad dearly, and don't enjoy pugilizing others, due to being inculcated with the "violence" of it all, etc. It is time to chill out a bit, I think. PC gone mad, is just mad.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2010, 01:56:21 PM »

School corporal punishment is abhorent. Something considered cruel and unusual and unconstitutional for criminals can be used on schoolchildren?

red = barbaric and backwards
blue = not as bad

Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies