Barbour holds lengthy meeting with advisers to discuss possible presidential run
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:57:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Barbour holds lengthy meeting with advisers to discuss possible presidential run
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Barbour holds lengthy meeting with advisers to discuss possible presidential run  (Read 3059 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 17, 2010, 12:32:48 AM »

Barbour's been a bit quiet on the presidential front of late, and even asked that his name be pulled from the straw poll ballot at the SRLC.  But it looks like he's taking a very serious look at a run:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0410/35925.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 12:40:27 AM »

He may decide to run but Haley Barbour is more the running mate type. Don't get me wrong I'd love to see a southerner with a conservative agenda as my president.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 02:22:14 PM »

lulz
ScottM

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: 4.35

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 06:33:47 PM »

He may decide to run but Haley Barbour is more the running mate type. Don't get me wrong I'd love to see a southerner with a conservative agenda as my president.

You did. He served from 2001 to 2009. His name was George W. Bush.

I don't consider George W. Bush to be a conservative. He did nothing to check spending, he did a horrible job securing the border, and he didn't have a conservative stance at all on education.

BTW, I fully expect him to run. I have for a long time. I'll be shocked if he doesn't.

As for Barbour, I think he fits the mold of what a true Conservative would like to see as the nominee. He has plenty of experience, he has shown good leadership skills (Katrina), and he's not afraid to fight with Democrats over the budget. (There's been plenty of that going on with the state House of Representatives).

I'm not going to vote for him just because, he's the governor of my state, but he's certainly on the list of candidates I'll consider thanks to his positions.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 12:56:48 PM »

I don't consider George W. Bush to be a conservative. He did nothing to check spending, he did a horrible job securing the border, and he didn't have a conservative stance at all on education.

BTW, I fully expect him to run. I have for a long time. I'll be shocked if he doesn't.

As for Barbour, I think he fits the mold of what a true Conservative would like to see as the nominee. He has plenty of experience, he has shown good leadership skills (Katrina), and he's not afraid to fight with Democrats over the budget. (There's been plenty of that going on with the state House of Representatives).

I'm not going to vote for him just because, he's the governor of my state, but he's certainly on the list of candidates I'll consider thanks to his positions.
^ only negative is his accent. But there's no denying he has wanted to run for years now if you've spoken to him
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 01:04:23 PM »

The southern racist tobacco lobbyist?
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010, 01:07:14 PM »

^ only negative is his accent. But there's no denying he has wanted to run for years now if you've spoken to him

That, his multiple gaffes and his status as a former TOBACCO LOBBYISST!
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 01:14:34 PM »

He seems pretty competent and relatively smart, but he has gaffes and reinforces a lot of Republican stereotypes.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2010, 01:30:57 PM »
« Edited: April 18, 2010, 02:18:24 PM by paul718 »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

What gaffes?  (honest question)

The southern racist tobacco lobbyist?

How is he a racist?
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2010, 01:38:01 PM »

I guess he could win back North Carolina! Tongue
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2010, 01:46:40 PM »
« Edited: April 18, 2010, 02:05:31 PM by pbrower2a »

deep red                  Obama 10% margin or greater  
medium red              Obama, 5-9.9% margin  
pale red                   Obama, margin under 5%  

pale blue                  Barbour  under 5%
medium blue             Barbour  5-9.9% margin  
deep blue                 Barbour over 10%

light green    third-party conservative  -- no distinction

I figure that such states as Idaho, Utah, and Nebraska are conservative, but they are not going to vote for an outright racist. There would be a third-party conservative... maybe Pat Buchanan.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2010, 02:01:07 PM »

Haley = Fred Thompson + caffeine

He'd at least be more entertaining during the debates.
ScottM

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2010, 02:33:14 PM »

deep red                  Obama 10% margin or greater  
medium red              Obama, 5-9.9% margin  
pale red                   Obama, margin under 5%  

pale blue                  Barbour  under 5%
medium blue             Barbour  5-9.9% margin  
deep blue                 Barbour over 10%

light green    third-party conservative  -- no distinction

I figure that such states as Idaho, Utah, and Nebraska are conservative, but they are not going to vote for an outright racist. There would be a third-party conservative... maybe Pat Buchanan.

I normally wouldn't comment on such a map, but it gave me such a good laugh that I couldn't help myself! Smiley

As for Rochambeau's point, that may be valid, though maybe not in the way you meant it. I think Thompson would have fared far better if voters had thought he really cared about the campaign.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2010, 04:03:36 PM »

Tobacco lobbyist? Good I chew for even cheaper. What this country needs is a commander in chief who is not afraid of cutting welfare and unemployment benefits to pay off the debts they have caused. You've gotta remember that is a winning issue. I love his accent and wish mine was as thick. His focus should be on PA and OH cuz then he'd win the election.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2010, 04:10:59 PM »

and Obama was an ACORN puppet...his work in katrina showed he is a good leader that can handle a national crisis, Obama never proved that and still hasn't
ScottM

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2010, 06:44:34 PM »

his work in katrina showed he is a good leader that can handle a national crisis, Obama never proved that and still hasn't

Let me deal with that a little more. As someone who lives in South Mississippi, I was personally affected by Katrina. I left for North Alabama to stay with some family the day before it hit, and wound up being there for a week and a half due the damage in the area. And I live probably 70 miles inland.

Since I wasn't in the affected area during the storm (even though we were without power for 18 hours as far away from the "action" as I was), I was able to see the news coverage of the storm. I think the disastrous response by the elected officials in Louisiana is well-documented. But, Alabama's officials didn't do much better. Gov. Riley didn't declare a mandatory evacuation until 18 hours before landfall. Only 18 hours before that caused the USS Alabama battle ship in Mobile Bay to list to one side. Only Camille had ever moved the ship and it just rocked a bit then. So, considering the magnitude of the storm, Riley definitely should have done more to prepare the people.

Compare that to Mississippi. Barbour issued an evacuation order well in advance of the storm, and on Sunday morning when it had exploded into a category 5 monster, he made it quite clear to inland residents that we needed to be prepared, as well. I don't know how many times I heard him say "this is not just a coastal storm," or some variation of that.

Barbour really shined compared to both Riley and Landrieu. He was the only governor from the affected States that came out smelling like a rose.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2010, 08:14:15 PM »

his work in katrina showed he is a good leader that can handle a national crisis, Obama never proved that and still hasn't

Let me deal with that a little more. As someone who lives in South Mississippi, I was personally affected by Katrina. I left for North Alabama to stay with some family the day before it hit, and wound up being there for a week and a half due the damage in the area. And I live probably 70 miles inland.

Since I wasn't in the affected area during the storm (even though we were without power for 18 hours as far away from the "action" as I was), I was able to see the news coverage of the storm. I think the disastrous response by the elected officials in Louisiana is well-documented. But, Alabama's officials didn't do much better. Gov. Riley didn't declare a mandatory evacuation until 18 hours before landfall. Only 18 hours before that caused the USS Alabama battle ship in Mobile Bay to list to one side. Only Camille had ever moved the ship and it just rocked a bit then. So, considering the magnitude of the storm, Riley definitely should have done more to prepare the people.

Compare that to Mississippi. Barbour issued an evacuation order well in advance of the storm, and on Sunday morning when it had exploded into a category 5 monster, he made it quite clear to inland residents that we needed to be prepared, as well. I don't know how many times I heard him say "this is not just a coastal storm," or some variation of that.

Barbour really shined compared to both Riley and Landrieu. He was the only governor from the affected States that came out smelling like a rose.

See, I'd trust him. And he can raise $ and has a huge network. However I don't think white  southern politicians are what the country wants to listen to, even though Barbour is smart
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2010, 08:16:25 PM »

and Obama was an ACORN puppet...his work in katrina showed he is a good leader that can handle a national crisis, Obama never proved that and still hasn't

I'd appreciate, in your words, an explanation of what ACORN was and Obama's role with it.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2010, 08:23:15 PM »

The GOP nominating Haley Barbour would be a really bad idea...

California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2010, 08:26:10 PM »

I'd appreciate, in your words, an explanation of what ACORN was and Obama's role with it.

Obama worked for them as a community organizer and all they were was a phony political organization to get guys like him in office. Can you prove they're a credible group?
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2010, 08:39:00 PM »

Obama worked for them as a community organizer and all they were was a phony political organization to get guys like him in office. Can you prove they're a credible group?

"Phony political organization" is a pretty weak phrase.  They were indeed working to get people registered to vote, and you cannot by law not turn in a voter registration card if you're a registered deputy registrar in most places (I was one once).  Even if the guy writes down Mickey Mouse on his voter registration card, that's going in.  This is not voter fraud.  Mickey Mouse will not show up to vote on election day and his being a registered voter has no bearing on the election.

As far as getting "guys like him into office," all political advocacy organizations want sympathetic voices.

By the way, if you're going to bring up the pimp video, read this:  http://ag.ca.gov/newsalerts/release.php?id=1888&
nhmagic
azmagic
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.62, S: 4.61

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2010, 08:47:38 PM »

OMG, this would be a disaster.  I can see the MoveOn.org George Wallace ads running already.  Barbour has such a deep southern accent, and it will be proof positive to some that the republican party is racist.  It's a shame because he's obviously not, but still...

Speaking on other southerners...
Ditto Jindal, except without the racist angle.  I love the south and I love southerners, but if I think "corn-po" in my head when Jindal speaks, then I know every single moderate and liberal person is thinking even worse.  Also, Rick Perry sounds identical to Bush when he speaks - identical.  This is something that gives Romney and Thune a gigantic advantage.  Honestly, I wish we could run Chris Christie against Obama though...
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2010, 08:56:04 PM »

OMG, this would be a disaster.  I can see the MoveOn.org George Wallace ads running already.  Barbour has such a deep southern accent, and it will be proof positive to some that the republican party is racist.  It's a shame because he's obviously not, but still...

Ditto Jindal, except without the racist angle.  I love the south and I love southerners, but if I think "corn-po" in my head when Jindal speaks, then I know every single moderate and liberal person is thinking even worse.  Also, Rick Perry sounds identical to Bush when he speaks - identical.  This is something that gives Romney and Thune a gigantic advantage.  Honestly, I wish we could run Chris Christie against Obama though...

Chris Christie is too fat though. He has to lose some weight first.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2010, 09:02:04 PM »

So we're going to dismiss candidates because of their accent?
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2010, 09:28:22 PM »

"Phony political organization" is a pretty weak phrase.  They were indeed working to get people registered to vote, and you cannot by law not turn in a voter registration card if you're a registered deputy registrar in most places (I was one once).  Even if the guy writes down Mickey Mouse on his voter registration card, that's going in.  This is not voter fraud.  Mickey Mouse will not show up to vote on election day and his being a registered voter has no bearing on the election.

As far as getting "guys like him into office," all political advocacy organizations want sympathetic voices.

By the way, if you're going to bring up the pimp video, read this:  http://ag.ca.gov/newsalerts/release.php?id=1888&

they registered people in multiple places...tending to be swing states to vote
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies