Barbour holds lengthy meeting with advisers to discuss possible presidential run
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:58:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Barbour holds lengthy meeting with advisers to discuss possible presidential run
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Barbour holds lengthy meeting with advisers to discuss possible presidential run  (Read 3058 times)
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2010, 09:29:42 PM »

OMG, this would be a disaster.  I can see the MoveOn.org George Wallace ads running already.  Barbour has such a deep southern accent, and it will be proof positive to some that the republican party is racist.  It's a shame because he's obviously not, but still...

Speaking on other southerners...
Ditto Jindal, except without the racist angle.  I love the south and I love southerners, but if I think "corn-po" in my head when Jindal speaks, then I know every single moderate and liberal person is thinking even worse.  Also, Rick Perry sounds identical to Bush when he speaks - identical.  This is something that gives Romney and Thune a gigantic advantage.  Honestly, I wish we could run Chris Christie against Obama though...

So we're going to dismiss candidates because of their accent?
half the voters aren't smart enough to do that so yes, we have to consider this when the majority of voters that are not educated on candidate's postitions and experience vote and form opinions based on race and accents
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2010, 09:30:51 PM »

Obama worked for them as a community organizer and all they were was a phony political organization to get guys like him in office. Can you prove they're a credible group?

"Phony political organization" is a pretty weak phrase.  They were indeed working to get people registered to vote, and you cannot by law not turn in a voter registration card if you're a registered deputy registrar in most places (I was one once).  Even if the guy writes down Mickey Mouse on his voter registration card, that's going in.  This is not voter fraud.  Mickey Mouse will not show up to vote on election day and his being a registered voter has no bearing on the election.

As far as getting "guys like him into office," all political advocacy organizations want sympathetic voices.

By the way, if you're going to bring up the pimp video, read this:  http://ag.ca.gov/newsalerts/release.php?id=1888&

they registered people in multiple places...tending to be swing states to vote

Once again, you cannot discard a voter registration card even if you know it to be fraudulent.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2010, 12:37:17 PM »

Unfortunately, I don't see our country being open minded enough to vote for Barbour. That's too bad at least Mississippi gets it right.
ScottM

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: 4.35

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2010, 09:11:10 PM »

Unfortunately, I don't see our country being open minded enough to vote for Barbour. That's too bad at least Mississippi gets it right.

I, probably needless to say, voted for him twice, and I, again probably needless to say, have no regrets for doing so.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2010, 09:15:12 PM »

I, probably needless to say, voted for him twice, and I, again probably needless to say, have no regrets for doing so.

He has been a good Governor and will prove very effective has Chairmen of the RGA this fall but beyond that he doesn't have much of a chance at advancement.
ScottM

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: 4.35

« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2010, 09:24:54 PM »

He has been a good Governor and will prove very effective has Chairmen of the RGA this fall but beyond that he doesn't have much of a chance at advancement.

Believe me, I'm fully aware of that. I do find it a shame, though. I think he would make a fine President. As I said once before in this thread, I wouldn't say 100% that he would be my candidate in the primaries, but I can say 100% I'd strongly consider him. I've had the privilege of observing him more closely than most.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2010, 09:30:36 PM »

Believe me, I'm fully aware of that. I do find it a shame, though. I think he would make a fine President. As I said once before in this thread, I wouldn't say 100% that he would be my candidate in the primaries, but I can say 100% I'd strongly consider him. I've had the privilege of observing him more closely than most.

Indeed, he has a strong record as both a Governor and Party guy (1994 as RNC Chair and now 2010 as RGA Chair). Were it not for the imagery issues and his connections to big tobacco I would be fine with him as our candidate.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2010, 12:38:36 AM »

Obama worked for them as a community organizer and all they were was a phony political organization to get guys like him in office. Can you prove they're a credible group?

"Phony political organization" is a pretty weak phrase.  They were indeed working to get people registered to vote, and you cannot by law not turn in a voter registration card if you're a registered deputy registrar in most places (I was one once).  Even if the guy writes down Mickey Mouse on his voter registration card, that's going in.  This is not voter fraud.  Mickey Mouse will not show up to vote on election day and his being a registered voter has no bearing on the election.

Obama was there attorney at one point. He stood up for them helping people to stay on welfare when coming into this country and not having to work. He even ignored the child prostitution rings that helped to pay for the rest of the homes and apartments that these people were living in.

As far as getting "guys like him into office," all political advocacy organizations want sympathetic voices.

By the way, if you're going to bring up the pimp video, read this:  http://ag.ca.gov/newsalerts/release.php?id=1888&
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2010, 11:27:50 PM »

Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2010, 10:17:47 PM »

Barbour's been a bit quiet on the presidential front of late, and even asked that his name be pulled from the straw poll ballot at the SRLC.  But it looks like he's taking a very serious look at a run:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0410/35925.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

no thanks
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2010, 10:44:59 PM »

yea his political past doesn't sound good. too many insider ties.
pragmatic liberal

« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2010, 12:46:39 AM »

Quote from: Restricted

What gaffes?  (honest question)

The southern racist tobacco lobbyist?

How is he a racist?

Um, there's this Macaca moment:

"

> http://www.tnr.com/blog/jonathan-chait/the-boss-hogg-oppo-research-project-begins

And there's the fact that he keeps a Confederate flag signed by Jefferson Davis is in his office. And the fact that he attended fundraisers for the white supremacist Council of Conservative Citizens (the descendent of the White Citizen's Council) and refused to ask them to remove a photo of him on their web page.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2010, 05:23:13 PM »

Quote from: Restricted

What gaffes?  (honest question)

The southern racist tobacco lobbyist?

How is he a racist?

Um, there's this Macaca moment:

"

> http://www.tnr.com/blog/jonathan-chait/the-boss-hogg-oppo-research-project-begins

And there's the fact that he keeps a Confederate flag signed by Jefferson Davis is in his office. And the fact that he attended fundraisers for the white supremacist Council of Conservative Citizens (the descendent of the White Citizen's Council) and refused to ask them to remove a photo of him on their web page.

good I can chew for cheaper
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2010, 05:52:33 PM »

Another problem for Barbour's national ambitions is the fact that he's pardoned a bunch of hardened criminals who did odds jobs around the governor's mansion:

http://www.slate.com/id/2238938/pagenum/all/

Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2010, 12:51:57 PM »

cheaper tobacco would be great
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2010, 09:53:34 PM »

Another problem for Barbour's national ambitions is the fact that he's pardoned a bunch of hardened criminals who did odds jobs around the governor's mansion:

http://www.slate.com/id/2238938/pagenum/all/

In essence, kiss up and you get goodies from the Chief Executive -- even if it is a mitigation of a sentence of murder. 
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies