Obama Proposes Largest Defense Budget Since World War II
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:34:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Obama Proposes Largest Defense Budget Since World War II
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Obama Proposes Largest Defense Budget Since World War II  (Read 1907 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2010, 12:58:12 PM »

The change we can believe in bit was a facetious, if minor, part of Obama's campaign. It was all joke. Something about Obama being above politics, bringing everyone together in a new era of kumbaya, Democrats taking over Idaho, et cetera. It was never really serious you see. Just something to lighten things up a bit, substantive debate is too boring. It was however useful in painting a contrast with Hillary Clinton, evil feminist woman trying to play politics. But if you believed it, well, that's too bad.

But that is all water under the bridge now, yes, yes.

On to the matter at hand. This article is misleading because total GDP in World War II was just a tad smaller than today. As a percentage of GDP, military spending is probably not the largest since World War II. I haven't looked it up myself, I'm too lazy, but I have just a hunch that military as a percentage of GDP today is smaller than in 1945. The difference may be minor.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2010, 12:58:12 PM »

That's fine. He's just being more honest about it than Bush. As long as we have continued improvement in the War on Terror, I'm fine with it. Thus far, IMO, his foreign policy has been great, so I trust him here.

The fact is, even if you slashed the military significantly, entitlements are the 800 pound gorilla in the room that won't go away. Besides, to drastically cut the military in such a fashion would kill so many jobs, that in this economy it's not worth it.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2010, 01:25:42 PM »

Here's a surprisingly interesting clip from *gasp* Glenn Beck, about the defense budget: http://video.foxnews.com/v/4152768/defense-department-cuts
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2010, 08:41:38 PM »

The fact is, even if you slashed the military significantly, entitlements are the 800 pound gorilla in the room that won't go away.

Actually no, undertaxation of the upper classes is the 800 pound gorilla in the room.  But no one will ever mention that.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies