Obama demanding a VAT for the USA
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:39:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Obama demanding a VAT for the USA
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Obama demanding a VAT for the USA  (Read 1295 times)
The Age Wave
silent_spade07
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -2.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 22, 2010, 01:43:40 AM »

link

Obama suggests value-added tax may be an option

WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama suggested Wednesday that a new value-added tax on Americans is still on the table, seeming to show more openness to the idea than his aides have expressed in recent days.

Before deciding what revenue options are best for dealing with the deficit and the economy, Obama said in an interview with CNBC, "I want to get a better picture of what our options are."

After Obama adviser Paul Volcker recently raised the prospect of a value-added tax, or VAT, the Senate voted 85-13 last week for a nonbinding "sense of the Senate" resolution that calls the such a tax "a massive tax increase that will cripple families on fixed income and only further push back America's economic recovery."

For days, White House spokesmen have said the president has not proposed and is not considering a VAT.

"I think I directly answered this the other day by saying that it wasn't something that the president had under consideration," White House press secretary Robert Gibbs told reporters shortly before Obama spoke with CNBC.

After the interview, White House deputy communications director Jen Psaki said nothing has changed and the White House is "not considering" a VAT.

Many European countries impose a VAT, which taxes the value that is added at each stage of production of certain commodities. It could apply, for instance, to raw products delivered to a mill, the mill's production work and so on up the line to the retailer.

In the CNBC interview, Obama said he was waiting for recommendations from a bipartisan fiscal advisory commission on ways to tackle the deficit and other problems.

When asked if he could see a potential VAT in this nation, the president said: "I know that there's been a lot of talk around town lately about the value-added tax. That is something that has worked for some countries. It's something that would be novel for the United States."

"And before, you know, I start saying 'this makes sense or that makes sense,' I want to get a better picture of what our options are," Obama said.

He said his first priority "is to figure out how can we reduce wasteful spending so that, you know, we have a baseline of the core services that we need and the government should provide. And then we decide how do we pay for that."

Volcker has said taxes might have to be raised to slow the deficit's growth. He said a value-added tax "was not as toxic an idea" as it had been in the past.

Since then, some GOP lawmakers and conservative commentators have said the Obama administration is edging toward a VAT.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 01:49:55 AM »

Gee, that title's not misleading at all.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 07:40:27 PM »

I wish Obama wanted a VAT.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 07:43:24 PM »

Why, you like having more of the money you worked hard for taken away by the government?
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 07:55:48 PM »

Now is a terrible time to introduce such a tax that comes with no obvious benefits. Simply trying to pay down the defecit should not be a priority as long as we are in a recession with high unemployment.

Not that I think they'll seriously try to implement it. Hopefully.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 08:19:51 PM »

Thread title: "Obama demanding a VAT for the USA!"

Thread substance: "I know that there's been a lot of talk around town lately about the value-added tax."

Mind = Blown
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 08:43:32 PM »

You like regressive taxation?
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 09:25:15 PM »

For political as well as economic reasons, it would be advisable that any comprehensive deficit/debt reduction efforts (including the imposition of VAT) should be postponed until after President Obama's re-election -namely until 2013.  By that point the economy should have recovered enough to absorb any possible tax increases as well as necessary pullbacks in government stimulus spending. 
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 09:48:14 PM »
« Edited: April 22, 2010, 11:51:08 PM by War on Want »

No, but as long as we are going to have regressive taxation in this nation, I will support a VAT over a retail sales tax.

I don't see what the problem with regressive taxation is if the increased revenue goes towards improved services, economic investment in the poor, the improvement of infrastructure etc. Not to mention essentials could be mostly exempted from the VAT and these essentials are exempted from the VAT in many countries that use it. Anyways Canada has a low VAT tax, where the rate is similar to our sales taxes and it has been a success.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 10:24:18 PM »
« Edited: April 22, 2010, 10:34:21 PM by Torie »

Some Dems are beginning to realize that to get to the level of federal involvement that they desire,  the working and middle class will have to pay more taxes, and that means a national sales tax. It is good that this issue is coming up, so folks can discuss whether they are willing to pay more, for more government.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2010, 10:29:53 PM »

No, but as long as we are going to have regressive taxation in this nation, I will support a VAT over a retail sales tax.

False dilemma.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2010, 11:43:18 PM »

Demanding = option on the table??   Hmmm

Interesting thread title there......

I had to double check to make sure it wasn't Vanderblubb masquerading as another poster.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2010, 11:57:43 PM »

We don't have a federal sales tax at this point, and I'd like to keep it that way.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2010, 12:05:33 AM »

We don't have a federal sales tax at this point, and I'd like to keep it that way.
There are 5 states without a sales tax, and all 5 have very small populations so that doesn't mean much. I would rather that the federal government streamline the sales tax, so it is the same in all states and turn it into a VAT, which is preferable to a sales tax if it is kept low like in Canada.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2010, 12:07:12 AM »

There are 5 states without a sales tax, and all 5 have very small populations so that doesn't mean much. I would rather that the federal government streamline the sales tax, so it is the same in all states and turn it into a VAT, which is preferable to a sales tax if it is kept low like in Canada.

That can't be done because the feds can't force states to repeal their sales taxes. And if all states did that would cause even more issues. A VAT can't work in a country as decentralized as the US.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2010, 12:09:55 AM »
« Edited: April 23, 2010, 12:11:33 AM by War on Want »

That can't be done because the feds can't force states to repeal their sales taxes. And if all states did that would cause even more issues. A VAT can't work in a country as decentralized as the US.
I know but it would be the ideal imo. Because of issues like these, I dislike federalism.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2010, 12:28:18 AM »

I know but it would be the ideal imo. Because of issues like these, I dislike federalism.

Federalism is also why California can legalize marijuana and some states can have gay marriage. Works both ways. If it wasn't for this any serious progress on any issue would be held up by the south.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2010, 12:32:52 AM »

That's an incredibly stupid idea. The states that have sales taxes should be working on repealing them, not letting fedgov expand them.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2010, 11:05:12 AM »

If you were to abolish the existing tax structure all together and replace it with VAT-only structure, that would be one thing.  However, you know Congress would only add the VAT to the existing tax system as a way to soak even more money out of you.  The first I could handle, the second would be completely unacceptable.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2010, 02:28:49 PM »

Increased income taxes on higher brackets (including creation of $400k and $1 mil brackets) > x1000 a VAT.
The Age Wave
silent_spade07
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2010, 02:32:45 PM »

Increased income taxes on higher brackets (including creation of $400k and $1 mil brackets) > x1000 a VAT.

Agree X 1000!
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2010, 02:35:01 PM »

Agree X 1000!

Cutting spending is x1000000 better than any tax.
The Age Wave
silent_spade07
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2010, 02:38:29 PM »

Agree X 1000!

They aren't mutually exclusive.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2010, 02:48:14 PM »

Agree X 1000!

They aren't mutually exclusive.

No, but taxes should not be raised simply to pay for things we do not need.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2010, 03:05:49 PM »

Agree X 1000!

Cutting spending is a red herring. There's going to be a substantial expenditure by government. Whether the proper amount is 1 Trillion or 1 billion it's still going to require taxes. The key question is then is how to structure the public's tax bill and, again, a progressive income tax beats the bejesus out of a regressive VAT tax both economically and in terms of fairness.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies