Why is this place like 99% male?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 11:58:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Why is this place like 99% male?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]
Author Topic: Why is this place like 99% male?  (Read 14573 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: April 28, 2010, 03:35:49 AM »

Well I disagree.  There is more genetic differences between ladies and dudes than just strength and size.  From Steadyhealth.com
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Environment certainly playes a role here, but you seem to be saying it plays almost the entire role.  Science doesn't agree.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #126 on: April 28, 2010, 09:18:57 PM »

Behavioral differences:

There are some proven behavioral differences between men and women. and the most common are:   

1.    Men are more physically aggressive.
2.    Men masturbate more.
3.    Women are less likely to successfully commit suicide, but more likely to attempt it.
4.    Men have more positive attitudes about sex then women do.
5.    Men are more prone to taking risks.
6.    Women express their emotions more readily and experience a greater intensity of emotion.

Happiness: In general, it has been proven that women are happier with their lives than men are. Women also show greater concern about family and home life issues, while men express more sympathies about political issues.

That doesn't disprove my argument one bit.  These behavioral differences, especially the bolded portion, have to do with how men and women are socialized.  Women show greater concern for family and home life because they are raised that way.  Yes, there are some basic biological differences between men and women, but that does not include the above.

The only way to really prove how much of our gender identity comes from socialization or biology, is to take two children and raise them from birth in an environment that is gender-neutral.  There are obviously some ethical problems with this, but until we can perform such an experiment, the above-quoted points are moot.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #127 on: April 28, 2010, 11:30:00 PM »

It would be nice if we could get some actual women out there lurking watching this discussion care to share their thoughts on how to make our site more welcoming towards them.  As of now, we're just shooting in the dark.  
No no no please carry on.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #128 on: April 28, 2010, 11:33:45 PM »

It would be nice if we could get some actual women out there lurking watching this discussion care to share their thoughts on how to make our site more welcoming towards them.  As of now, we're just shooting in the dark. 

Given the subject matter, please refrain from that kind of metaphorical imagery.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #129 on: April 28, 2010, 11:38:10 PM »

There's a reason why a study found that girls who play sports in their youth have more self-esteem, and are less likely to stay in an abusive relationship.  The way a lot of girls are socialized makes them weak, dependent, and emotional, with a sense of self-esteem that is based on appearance rather than accomplishment.  Playing sports would have the effect of counteracting all of this.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #130 on: April 28, 2010, 11:57:33 PM »

Behavioral differences:

There are some proven behavioral differences between men and women. and the most common are:   

1.    Men are more physically aggressive.
2.    Men masturbate more.
3.    Women are less likely to successfully commit suicide, but more likely to attempt it.
4.    Men have more positive attitudes about sex then women do.
5.    Men are more prone to taking risks.
6.    Women express their emotions more readily and experience a greater intensity of emotion.

Happiness: In general, it has been proven that women are happier with their lives than men are. Women also show greater concern about family and home life issues, while men express more sympathies about political issues.

That doesn't disprove my argument one bit.  These behavioral differences, especially the bolded portion, have to do with how men and women are socialized.  Women show greater concern for family and home life because they are raised that way.  Yes, there are some basic biological differences between men and women, but that does not include the above.

The only way to really prove how much of our gender identity comes from socialization or biology, is to take two children and raise them from birth in an environment that is gender-neutral.  There are obviously some ethical problems with this, but until we can perform such an experiment, the above-quoted points are moot.
Clearly you didn't read the link (or even all the parts I quoted).  The entire thing I quoted was on the MENTAL differences between men and women.  These differences are biological not, learned.  That was the entire point of the link and quote.  If you have a link proving me wrong I'd be glad to read it.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #131 on: April 29, 2010, 12:05:43 AM »
« Edited: April 29, 2010, 12:14:00 AM by Governor Morgan Brykein »

Behavioral differences:

1.    Men are more physically aggressive.
2.    Men masturbate more.
3.    Women are less likely to successfully commit suicide, but more likely to attempt it.
4.    Men have more positive attitudes about sex then women do.
5.    Men are more prone to taking risks.
6.    Women express their emotions more readily and experience a greater intensity of emotion.

That doesn't disprove my argument one bit.  These behavioral differences, especially the bolded portion, have to do with how men and women are socialized.  Women show greater concern for family and home life because they are raised that way.  Yes, there are some basic biological differences between men and women, but that does not include the above.

The only way to really prove how much of our gender identity comes from socialization or biology, is to take two children and raise them from birth in an environment that is gender-neutral.  There are obviously some ethical problems with this, but until we can perform such an experiment, the above-quoted points are moot.
Clearly you didn't read the link (or even all the parts I quoted).  The entire thing I quoted was on the MENTAL differences between men and women.  These differences are biological not, learned.  That was the entire point of the link and quote.  If you have a link proving me wrong I'd be glad to read it.

I didn't see anything there that disproved my claim.  It simply shows that there are differences between men and women.  It doesn't prove that women are biologically more inclined to be teachers and nurses.

Oh, linky.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #132 on: April 29, 2010, 12:18:36 AM »

le sigh

Do you want to be proven wrong or do you want to continue believing men and women are almost the exact same except men tend to be a little bigger/stronger than women?  If you like facts and that kind of thing, go here, read any link you want.  Or do your own search, find your own facts.  Or continue living this lie.

(and your link doesn't say genetics doesn't play a role, it just says environment does play a role and I've never suggested otherwise)
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #133 on: April 29, 2010, 12:21:10 AM »
« Edited: April 29, 2010, 12:23:26 AM by Governor Morgan Brykein »

le sigh

Do you want to be proven wrong or do you want to continue believing men and women are almost the exact same except men tend to be a little bigger/stronger than women?  If you like facts and that kind of thing, go here, read any link you want.  Or do your own search, find your own facts.  Or continue living this lie.

(and your link doesn't say genetics doesn't play a role, it just says environment does play a role and I've never suggested otherwise)

I don't believe that there is absolutely no difference between the sexes.  I simply believe that a lot of what we perceive about gender comes from how we are socialized.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #134 on: April 29, 2010, 12:32:12 AM »

le sigh

Do you want to be proven wrong or do you want to continue believing men and women are almost the exact same except men tend to be a little bigger/stronger than women?  If you like facts and that kind of thing, go here, read any link you want.  Or do your own search, find your own facts.  Or continue living this lie.

I don't believe that there is absolutely no difference between the sexes.  I simply believe that a lot of what we perceive about gender comes from how we are socialized.
Of course that is 100% true.  My problem was with this.
And that's because boys are socialized to be competitive and aggressive, while girls are typically not.  This is why there aren't very many girls who play first-person shooters or post on political forums.  It goes against what our society defines as being "feminine."
Well that and genetics.

Genetics only makes men physically stronger than women, on average.  There's nothing genetic that makes women less inclined to be competitive with others, or aggressive.
There are some pretty big differences between men and women that have nothing to do with how they were raised.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #135 on: April 29, 2010, 12:33:47 AM »

le sigh

I don't believe that there is absolutely no difference between the sexes.  I simply believe that a lot of what we perceive about gender comes from how we are socialized.
Of course that is 100% true.  My problem was with this.
And that's because boys are socialized to be competitive and aggressive, while girls are typically not.  This is why there aren't very many girls who play first-person shooters or post on political forums.  It goes against what our society defines as being "feminine."
Well that and genetics.

Genetics only makes men physically stronger than women, on average.  There's nothing genetic that makes women less inclined to be competitive with others, or aggressive.
There are some pretty big differences between men and women that have nothing to do with how they were raised.

Sometimes I'm stupid and say stupid things.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies