Executives testify: Bond-rating agencies corrupted themselves
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:19:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Executives testify: Bond-rating agencies corrupted themselves
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Executives testify: Bond-rating agencies corrupted themselves  (Read 405 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 23, 2010, 03:36:03 PM »

WASHINGTON — Executives from credit-rating agencies Moody's Investors Service and Standard & Poor's presented additional evidence Friday that management pressure to maintain their market share eroded the quality of investment-grade ratings and amplified the nation's financial crisis.

Testifying under oath before the Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations, officials who were closely involved in giving investment-grade ratings to complex financial instruments backed by shaky U.S. mortgages described how they were pressured to give Wall Street what it wanted.

Called to appear before the panel, Richard Michalek, a former Moody's vice president and senior credit officer, described the ratings process for deals that could bring more than $1 million in fees as a "must say yes" atmosphere.

Kolchinsky recounted how in the first two quarters of 2007, his group generated more than $200 million in revenue for Moody's by giving complex deals investment-grade ratings _ which told investors that they were safe bets. In the late summer of 2007, however, Kolchinsky was informed by superiors that bonds issued a year earlier were about to be severely downgraded.

That should have required a new methodology for ratings on deals that were still pending, but when he tried to do that, he was told not to. It amounted to securities fraud, in his opinion.

"My manager declined to do anything about the potential fraud, so I raised the issue to a more senior manager," he testified. He said that the complaint resulted in a change to methodology. "I believe this action saved Moody's from committing securities fraud. Because of the culture, I knew what I did would possibly jeopardize my role at Moody's."

He was right. A month later, he was sent a nasty e-mail asking why his market share slipped from 98 percent to 94 percent in the third quarter. The e-mail came, he said, just days after Moody's had downgraded more than $33 billion in bonds backed by subprime mortgage loans. Less than two months after challenging the integrity of the ratings, Kolchinsky was removed from his post and given a lower-paying job elsewhere in the company with far less responsibility. Later, he was pushed out altogether.

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2010/04/23/92775/executives-bond-rating-agencies.html
Torie
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 07:08:58 PM »
« Edited: April 23, 2010, 07:11:30 PM by Torie »

It was obvious that this is in fact what happened. The ratings were just too absurd for it to be otherwise, with little due diligence over these complex instruments. I am kind of surprised that there has not been much news of these rating agencies being sued, since to me their seems to be probable cause of malpractice. If that comes to pass, they will all go BK.

Some lawyer should take Kolchinsky on as a client on a contingency basis to sue for wrongful demotion and termination. I see punitive damages lurking out there.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies