Why does BRTD think South Park glorifies the smoking of tobacco?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:46:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Why does BRTD think South Park glorifies the smoking of tobacco?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Why does BRTD think South Park glorifies the smoking of tobacco?  (Read 7458 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2010, 10:05:25 PM »

Has he actually seen the episode or did he just read something about it?

Yes. I downloaded it because I read a lot of people on DU complaining about it.

I've not seen that on DU, but either way, why would you waste memory on right-wing propaganda?

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BileFascination

I also once read an Ann Coulter book for largely the same reason. Granted I enjoyed that more due to the fact that it was at least funny, albeit unintentionally, while South Park tries to be funny yet fails miserably.

Actually South Park used to be funny, before failed miserably.
The Age Wave
silent_spade07
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -2.43

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2010, 10:05:42 PM »

His opinions on South Park are quite horrible, I'm afraid.

I liked it when I was in 8th grade. Then I developed taste.

I'm not so sure. You still like Family Guy.

Family Guy isn't even funny. Plus all the musical breaks are irritating as hell.
The Age Wave
silent_spade07
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2010, 10:06:35 PM »

BRTD, do you hate all tobacco or just Big Tobacco?

All of it. I find it disgusting. I was quite overjoyed when Minnesota banned it in public and I no longer have to return from bars with my clothes smelling disgusting.

I'm quite glad that at the house I lived in in the first half of 2008, my roommates let people smoke weed anywhere, but anyone smoking cigarettes had to go the garage or outside.

I just don't get how smoking tobacco is so "disgusting" but smoking weed is perfect.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2010, 10:06:58 PM »

All of it. I find it disgusting. I was quite overjoyed when Minnesota banned it in public and I no longer have to return from bars with my clothes smelling disgusting.

I'm quite glad that at the house I lived in in the first half of 2008, my roommates let people smoke weed anywhere, but anyone smoking cigarettes had to go the garage or outside.

I just don't get how smoking tobacco is so "disgusting" but smoking weed is perfect.

It doesn't smell as bad or give you cancer.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2010, 10:07:54 PM »

I am actually watching this right and laughing my ass off: http://www.hulu.com/watch/139646/family-guy-april-in-quahog
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2010, 10:08:39 PM »

It doesn't smell as bad or give you cancer.

Agree that weeds is healthier than tobacco.

As of me, I never claimed tobacco is not disguisting. As an addict, I don't think about that at all. Just smoke.
The Age Wave
silent_spade07
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2010, 10:10:17 PM »

I understand all of the above but that doesn't explain what is so disgusting. I don't even smoke tobacco but I fail to see how smoking a plant can be disgusting depending on such subjective characteristics. There is tobacco out there that is free of all the carcinogens and sh**t that Big Tobacco adds.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2010, 10:19:20 PM »

South Park isn't funny, except for a few episodes like the World of Warcraft or Scientology ones. Family Guy is funny almost all of the time.

Is it really a mystery why BRTD has an anti-South Park fetish? He's BRTD and South Park is South Park.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2010, 10:26:07 PM »

Is it really a mystery why BRTD has an anti-South Park fetish?

Yes, his numerous obsessions are a mystery, but that's only because it's not legal to dissect a living human's brain for study.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2010, 10:34:32 PM »

Yes, his numerous obsessions are a mystery, but that's only because it's not legal to dissect a living human's brain for study.
If you look at his other obsessions, I'm sure you could make the connections as to why he would hate South Park. It isn't that difficult.

I think this forum has a BRTD obsession.
The Age Wave
silent_spade07
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2010, 10:35:12 PM »

If you look at his other obsessions, I'm sure you could make the connections as to why he would hate South Park. It isn't that difficult.

BRTD's the one making 50,000 plus posts on the forum.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2010, 10:40:52 PM »

You and many others constantly make threads about him, whine about BRTD being a troll, and attack him all of the time without being provoked etc. He's an interesting/polarizing character. It doesn't mean you have to have tantrumgasms about him.

The same is somewhat true with Lief and Vepres.
The Age Wave
silent_spade07
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2010, 10:42:28 PM »

You and many others constantly make threads about him, whine about BRTD being a troll, and attack him all of the time without being provoked etc. He's an interesting/polarizing character. It doesn't mean you have to have tantrumgasms about him.

This is the only time I've ever made a thread about him, which is more about South park than him personally, and I don't see how I called him a troll, attacked him, or any other nonsense you claim, and I haven't seen others doing it too. But I sure do wish I had a yes-man like he does.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2010, 10:45:12 PM »

This is the only time I've ever made a thread about him, which is more about South park than him personally, and I don't see how I called him a troll, attacked him, or any other nonsense you claim, and I haven't seen others doing it too. But I sure do wish I had a yes-man like he does.
I could bring up examples but don't care enough to do so. I'm exaggerating a bit too. Maybe you haven't done this but plenty of others do. By the way, I'm not a yes-man. I like BRTD but I think he has plenty of idiotic views and oddities.
The Age Wave
silent_spade07
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2010, 10:46:38 PM »

I could bring up examples but don't care enough to do so. I'm exaggerating a bit too. Maybe you haven't done this but plenty of others do. By the way, I'm not a yes-man. I like BRTD but I think he has plenty of idiotic views and oddities.

Fair enough but I didn't make this thread to attack anyone, I wanted to know what's up with the hate towards South Park and I don't think BRTD interpreted this thread as an attack either since we went back and forth with serious posts. What others do is their prerogative.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2010, 10:57:54 PM »

Yeah I don't really care about this thread, man. I'm mostly annoyed with people ignoring valid commentary from certain people here and hijacking threads with poster bashing. That will always happen and it is pointless for me to complain about it but it's one of the flaws of the Atlas.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2010, 11:08:15 PM »

I'm just amazed he still thinks the "Butt Out" episode is pro-tobacco despite everybody and everything telling him otherwise.  I also get enjoyment out of the fact that he gets pissed when people make fun of the things he likes.  Like a 4 year old or a muslim.
The Age Wave
silent_spade07
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2010, 11:12:46 PM »

Yeah I don't really care about this thread, man. I'm mostly annoyed with people ignoring valid commentary from certain people here and hijacking threads with poster bashing. That will always happen and it is pointless for me to complain about it but it's one of the flaws of the Atlas.

Welcome to the internet dude.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2010, 09:25:55 AM »

That South Park episode is probably one of the more obvious episodes of South Park's libertarian bias.  However, I do happen to love South Park. It's not as anti-Liberal as its portrayed to be, and can be quite funny. I also like its stance of freedom of speech.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2010, 01:45:16 PM »

My biggest problem overall with South Park is actually that it's very similar to the monstrosities created by Friedberg and Seltzer. OMG CELEBRITY REFERENCE HOW FUNNY!
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2010, 11:53:27 PM »

Family Guy uses celebrity jokes and the like, but only as quick cutaways usually. And there's also actually a joke there. South Park basically expects you to roll on the floor laughing because they have a crude caricature of Paris Hilton or whatever onscreen, aka exactly what Friedberg and Seltzer do.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2010, 01:54:29 AM »

It's amazing how completely backwards you are here and yet you can still manage to make it face forwards in your mind.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2010, 05:43:50 AM »

Family Guy uses celebrity jokes and the like, but only as quick cutaways usually. And there's also actually a joke there. South Park basically expects you to roll on the floor laughing because they have a crude caricature of Paris Hilton or whatever onscreen, aka exactly what Friedberg and Seltzer do.

If anything, Family Guy is a lot more like Selzter/Friedberg because it doesn't use cultural references to advance the plot in any way.  It uses them for comic relief.

And that's ok.  That works for a TV show.  It makes a horrible movie series, but TV fits it.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2010, 07:08:48 AM »

If anything, Family Guy is a lot more like Selzter/Friedberg because it doesn't use cultural references to advance the plot in any way.  It uses them for comic relief.

And that's ok.  That works for a TV show.  It makes a horrible movie series, but TV fits it.

You think Family Guy is ready for another James Woods episode.  Which series of Star Trek's cast will Stewie kidnap next....
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2010, 11:27:12 PM »

OK I found out that the episode is streaming on Netflix. I'll watch it again. Starting right now.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies