Why does BRTD think South Park glorifies the smoking of tobacco? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:24:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Why does BRTD think South Park glorifies the smoking of tobacco? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why does BRTD think South Park glorifies the smoking of tobacco?  (Read 7540 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« on: April 23, 2010, 09:47:11 PM »

That's doesn't really mean glorifing of tobacco. Rather making a fun of anti-tobbaco fanaticism.

Analysys ability fail. Again.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 10:05:25 PM »

Has he actually seen the episode or did he just read something about it?

Yes. I downloaded it because I read a lot of people on DU complaining about it.

I've not seen that on DU, but either way, why would you waste memory on right-wing propaganda?

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BileFascination

I also once read an Ann Coulter book for largely the same reason. Granted I enjoyed that more due to the fact that it was at least funny, albeit unintentionally, while South Park tries to be funny yet fails miserably.

Actually South Park used to be funny, before failed miserably.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 10:08:39 PM »

BRTD, do you hate all tobacco or just Big Tobacco?

All of it. I find it disgusting. I was quite overjoyed when Minnesota banned it in public and I no longer have to return from bars with my clothes smelling disgusting.

I'm quite glad that at the house I lived in in the first half of 2008, my roommates let people smoke weed anywhere, but anyone smoking cigarettes had to go the garage or outside.

I just don't get how smoking tobacco is so "disgusting" but smoking weed is perfect.

It doesn't smell as bad or give you cancer.

Agree that weeds is healthier than tobacco.

As of me, I never claimed tobacco is not disguisting. As an addict, I don't think about that at all. Just smoke.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 03:29:59 PM »

This episode is arguably pro-life (It shows Stewie being conscious and aware in the womb.) yet I'm not offended because I've actually laughed at a rate of more than once a minute. Unlike South Park.

You know what Jmf and BRTD have in common?

One is taking the Bible literally, the other TV series. Both are doing this without deeper thinking or showing even a slightest ability to understand references or hidden context.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 05:39:40 PM »

Well I consider Pulp Fiction a Christian propaganda piece.

Yes, of course, an eccentric gangster bible quote makes it a Christian propaganda piece Roll Eyes

BRTD, I wonder, if in some movie one character would say "I oppose abortion", would you then condiser the movie, on just that narrow basis, as an anti-abortion propganda piece, regardless of all other context?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 01:52:04 PM »

My reason for considering Pulp Fiction to be Christian propaganda has nothing to do with the Bible verse. Rather it's because of the message of seeking redemption and being given a second chance by God. Samuel L Jackson takes and accepts this, John Travolta doesn't, and we see what happens to him.

Ok, that's quite valid point, however I personally see it more like a pastiche.

However, when we're talking about this SP episode, personally I see it more like making a fun of anti-smoking propagandist fanaticism, rather than actual "zomzg, smoke, smoke".

I'd rather say message is: anti-smoking fanatics are an idiots who do more harm than good for anti-smokin propaganda. And it doesn't make gloryfinfg smoking of tobacco.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 08:42:45 AM »

The episode was quite idiotic in how ridiculously one-sided it was (the tobacco employees singing about how such a wonderful job it was, please, that doesn't glorify tobacco?)

I admitt I don't rebebmer the episode well. Yet, you think such "song" was 100% serious?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Well, wouldn't it be a hypocrisy?

Oh and smoking is now banned in bars in Colorado, kind of invalidating one of the points.

How is the Colorado ban revelant to this?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 01:41:21 PM »

The episode was quite idiotic in how ridiculously one-sided it was (the tobacco employees singing about how such a wonderful job it was, please, that doesn't glorify tobacco?)

I admitt I don't rebebmer the episode well. Yet, you think such "song" was 100% serious?

It clearly didn't balance out anything with a negative view on tobacco.

Ok, we can thus agree the episode context was very unbalanced.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2010, 03:38:04 PM »

For saying that there's no such a thing as balanced satire Huh
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2010, 05:02:13 PM »

How long before I'll be called a "pro-tobacco industry" hack out of smoking?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies