Question Time
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:08:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Question Time
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Question Time  (Read 3745 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2010, 09:41:51 PM »

@ Hashemite: What, if anything, do you think Atlasia should do to deal with blatant human rights violations in Africa, specifically in Uganda and the Democratic Republic of the Congo?

I think we've already taken the lead in that field, if you have a look at my FPR, you'll notice that in the case of Uganda and the DRC (or Sudan, or Eritrea) we already have full or partial, often full, embargoes on military goods and even economic sanctions. I made it clear in my speech to the GTO, furthermore, that while we will not unilaterally invade nations for our ideological reasons, we won't cozy up with governments that blatantly abuse human rights (I suppose one would bring up our relations with China, but one must also be realistic in realizing that imposing sanctions on China would realistically cripple us economically). We will continue the current sanctions, and work with the AU and the UN-GTO in dealing with these states. However, on a tangent, I would like to note that the DoEA does see the situation in the DRC more optimistically than in the past.

@ Hashemite: What, if anything, do you think Atlasia should do to deal with blatant human rights violations in Africa, specifically in Uganda and the Democratic Republic of the Congo?
A follow up question to that, Hashemite...
Currently, Sierra Leone is the most poverty-imperished nation in the world. 70% of her citizens are unemployed, and most live on streets. Malnutrition is very common among children, and over 20% of people there die before the age of 5. What do you think we should do, as a leading nation in the world, to help Sierra Leone?

It's not an issue of Sierra Leone, Sierra Leone is a struggling country like so many others. In the specific case of Sierra Leone, however, we have $135,000,000 in foreign aid directly plus $400,000,000 allocated to the African Development Bank and $393,000,000 for overall worldwide GTO humanitarian efforts. We cannot realistically direct foreign aid, and I believe that AtlasiaAID (the equivalent of USAID) is on the ground to direct and coordinate foreign aid, though the government intends to oversee foreign aid on basis of political, economic and social events which occur. Furthermore, on the topic of foreign aid, which will be covered asap by the DoEA in an official speech unveiling the final foreign aid budget, we already have various conditions on various nations (though not Sierra Leone, which is a relatively stable and new democratic state about which I'm quite optimistic about) for extra foreign aid which depend on their commitments to basic democratic reforms and so forth.

Also, NCYankee, the question was directed to me, so mind your own business plz.

Do you think I don't know that, Hashy? Do you think I am trying to muscle in on your territory? Hell no you can have that damn job as long as you want it. I certainly don't want it or any other cabinet post. I was expecting you to respond to my statement almost as if it were a question and not treat it as some kind of an answer in your stead. I know you despise me but you could at least try to hide it and not pretend like I am trying to take something from you. Good, god. I was not familiar with the details of the current state of Sierra Leone's conditions and I was expecting you to disagree with my idea and then tell me why so I can find out. May be indirect but its my style. And any observer would know this (PS, MB, Afleitch and many many more) have all experienced my style. However I don't think you will come to accept it as well as they have, just call it a hunch. Tongue

Also, though not the case here, I HAVE SAID AS A CAMPAIGN PROMISE IN JUNE THAT I WOULD "STICK MY NOSE IN PLACES WHERE PEOPLE WOULD CLAIM IT DOESN'T BELONG TO GET WHATS BEST FOR ATLASIA". That applies to all elected officials in Atlasia. I will call out anyone when I disagree or think they are wrong, so keep that in mind and be thankful that isn't the case here because then I would have been much more direct. I am not going to carve out any special exemption for you based on anything and that applies to everyone else as well. GET OVER YOURSELF!!!!

Also this isn't the SoEA thread, its the "Question Time" thread which has since been abandoned from its former use do to innactivity making it an open forum, thus making it an open to questions and answers from everybody. The questions may have been asked to you but the idea or the image that you have given me in my mind is that you are so self righteous as to deny the right of someone to disagree with your assessment, if in fact that is what I planned to do, and it wasn't. You also create an environment in which productive discussion is stifled by a sense of selfish elitism. When people are afriad to disagree, concur or have mixed responses, the activity level would look well like it is now.

Lastly I trust this is based on the "Prime Minister's Questions" in Britain. Having watched it myself a few times, I don't think your "sit down and shut up attitude" would fly if in fact my statement challenged any of your assertions, ideas, or proposals which in fact, it does not.

Wow, I just posted the most thorough analysis in this whole damn thread and it doesn't even deal with a real situation but a hypothetical situation in which I would have really gotten pissed over Hashy's (You had a good chance at getting me to stop calling you that, but those are about as strong as Gordon Brown being relevant in British politics now) response. I think that this little exchange in an obscure discussion on Sierra Leone has helped us realize a signifcant problem in this game. The unwillingess or fear of engagement in productive discussion. Granted that wasn't even my original intent here but for some reason I have a feeling that you approach this game similarily on most things.
Welcome to Hashy's Atlasia, Welcome to the deluge of boredom, enjoy your stay. Somehow I have a feeling a stay in that hotel will be short, sweet and too the point.

I think I just turned this into a real "Prime Minister's Questions". LOL Grin Tongue

Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2010, 10:12:10 PM »

Jesus fucking Christ, get a hold of yourself. The way that you wrote your statement or whatever made it seem, due to the obvious lack of questions in your response, as if you were directly responding to his question with your statement. I don't think anybody could have interpreted what you wrote as a question by any stretch of imagination. I asked for questions, people directly gave those questions and I was the one designed to answer them. Not you or Billy Bob in Alabama. On another point, I don't think I refuted any of your points. Indeed, here's a quote from the same post, which indirectly supports your ideas or whatever: Furthermore, on the topic of foreign aid, which will be covered asap by the DoEA in an official speech unveiling the final foreign aid budget, we already have various conditions on various nations (though not Sierra Leone, which is a relatively stable and new democratic state about which I'm quite optimistic about) for extra foreign aid which depend on their commitments to basic democratic reforms and so forth.

And Christ, turning my simple request that you keep to your turn while I keep to mine into a wide-ranged rant on me (on a side note, I don't despise you, but keep playing with that thought if it amuses you) and on activity levels in Atlasia. Christ, you successfully twisted one line of what I said, which was quite hyperbolic, into a whole tangent relating to you, your newfound hatred of me, how I'm supposedly a power-hungry power-grabbing ogre and something else. Good job, that's quite the creative mind.

Fine, my statement obviously was a bit harsh, especially if you don't know me or my style, and aren't aware of my excessive use of hyperboles or sarcasm in my speech. I've always used hyperboles and sarcasm, and I think you should know that. I apologize if you interpreted my line as a personal attack, direct attack or insult of your position or whatevsky, or anything else. I was not out to piss you off, turn you raving mad at me and so forth. That is all.

Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2010, 10:26:24 PM »

tl;dr: wtf

How does the DoEA feel about the perceived pro-Moscow stance of the new Kyrgyz leader?
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2010, 10:31:41 PM »

How does the DoEA feel about the perceived pro-Moscow stance of the new Kyrgyz leader?

I didn't have the time to take much notice of that (Canadian news is bad, IB exams); but I don't have specific comments on the political attitudes of various leaders. They're free to ally with who they wish, it's not our job to guide them around. Any more positions on the specific issue (ie, our military bases there) would require far more info on a far longer timeline.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2010, 10:37:39 PM »

Yeah, I understand that. I was more looking in the realm of Atlasia-Kyrgyzstan relations, but I can understand if you don't have much at the moment.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2010, 10:40:42 PM »

Jesus fucking Christ, get a hold of yourself. The way that you wrote your statement or whatever made it seem, due to the obvious lack of questions in your response, as if you were directly responding to his question with your statement. I don't think anybody could have interpreted what you wrote as a question by any stretch of imagination. I asked for questions, people directly gave those questions and I was the one designed to answer them. Not you or Billy Bob in Alabama. On another point, I don't think I refuted any of your points. Indeed, here's a quote from the same post, which indirectly supports your ideas or whatever: Furthermore, on the topic of foreign aid, which will be covered asap by the DoEA in an official speech unveiling the final foreign aid budget, we already have various conditions on various nations (though not Sierra Leone, which is a relatively stable and new democratic state about which I'm quite optimistic about) for extra foreign aid which depend on their commitments to basic democratic reforms and so forth.

And Christ, turning my simple request that you keep to your turn while I keep to mine into a wide-ranged rant on me (on a side note, I don't despise you, but keep playing with that thought if it amuses you) and on activity levels in Atlasia. Christ, you successfully twisted one line of what I said, which was quite hyperbolic, into a whole tangent relating to you, your newfound hatred of me, how I'm supposedly a power-hungry power-grabbing ogre and something else. Good job, that's quite the creative mind.

Fine, my statement obviously was a bit harsh, especially if you don't know me or my style, and aren't aware of my excessive use of hyperboles or sarcasm in my speech. I've always used hyperboles and sarcasm, and I think you should know that. I apologize if you interpreted my line as a personal attack, direct attack or insult of your position or whatevsky, or anything else. I was not out to piss you off, turn you raving mad at me and so forth. That is all.

Nice to meet you too. I love sarcasm as well. I also prefer declarative statements to direct questions as you have no discovered. Primarily becuase I think it frees up the exchange allows response to portions which are easily reformed as questions (" I don't know the exact specifics of the situation in Sierra Leone", As SoEA that is a something you fill in the gaps on, and could easily have been stated as "Could you tell me the exact specifics of the situation in Sierra Leone?" However once responded to  the discussion there is dead, so by doing it my way, I feel the discussion can become more indepth and provide more to be responded to). Again, I didn't answer any questions, I quoted tmth's post and offered my opinion and insight of what little value that may be, somethimes great sometimes not, and I would love to see how you came to view that as "the official response" since 1) I am not SoEA, and don't pretend or want to be, and 2) I in know why tried to guess and brush aside what you were about to say, that is ridiculous and requires an imagination or some degree of paranoia.

I beleive I acknowledged that you responded too my concerns.

1) What turns? This is an open forum of discussion. If you were fielding questions and wanted to control them in such a way, shouldn't they have been done in the SoEA thread? Why do things have to be formalized? As long as I am not impersonating you or actively disrupting the discussion, anything should be acceptable.

2) You have a history of making statements with regards to my party and people within it that I found unfair misrepresentations for partisan gain, and have seen you group me and members of my party with DWTL as recently as a few weeks ago, which I consider 1) an insult, and 2) since you despise him, by connection of the grouping engaged in... )

3) Its not wise to make statements that I could possibly miscontrue as insults toward me. Sarcasm and hyperbole is fine but you should try to include some kind of context to avoid that reaction occuring.

4) I hold nothing against you and certainly don't hate you, else why would I try to dissuade you from your fatalism with regards to your own party, not two weeks ago?

5) I will admit, I went a little over and above the call of duty in my analysis of your statement and your philosophy towards the game. However I challenge the notion of its complete irrelevance. You did still challenge dissent, even if as a joke, and I felt that I was obligated to point out what I thought about that. Often such things can be very revealing even if not intended to be serious or at least taken in such context (Don't take that as an insult, I do feel the same way about all humans), I think we should have more candid discussion about the game itself but in a less contentious way. 

Also I didn't realize Bgwah's middle name was the f-word. Wow you learn something new everyday. Tongue

Now that, is all.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2010, 11:04:48 PM »

Shut up. I didn't read that wall of text and I don't expect anyone else to.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2010, 08:26:47 AM »

Shut up. I didn't read that wall of text and I don't expect anyone else to.

Rather an unread wall of text then a no text at all. Besides, you have experience with much longer walls of text. I seem to recall a manifesto of Revolution that was three times as long with no paragraph breaks. And who posted that? Oh year, his username begins with X, he is far left commie and he annoys the hell out of me, but I must say you generate more amusement then anger, I would call that progress. Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2010, 08:30:28 AM »

I would like to thank Hashemite, tmth, Vepres, and Xahar for helping me in breathing some life back into this thread, you have been of great service. All heated exchanges were contrived, though the content is about 90% accurate. I shall now send the bill for my services rendered to President Afleitch.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2010, 09:33:06 PM »

I think we've already taken the lead in that field, if you have a look at my FPR, you'll notice that in the case of Uganda and the DRC (or Sudan, or Eritrea) we already have full or partial, often full, embargoes on military goods and even economic sanctions. I made it clear in my speech to the GTO, furthermore, that while we will not unilaterally invade nations for our ideological reasons, we won't cozy up with governments that blatantly abuse human rights (I suppose one would bring up our relations with China, but one must also be realistic in realizing that imposing sanctions on China would realistically cripple us economically). We will continue the current sanctions, and work with the AU and the UN-GTO in dealing with these states. However, on a tangent, I would like to note that the DoEA does see the situation in the DRC more optimistically than in the past.

A follow up question to that, Hashemite...
Currently, Sierra Leone is the most poverty-imperished nation in the world. 70% of her citizens are unemployed, and most live on streets. Malnutrition is very common among children, and over 20% of people there die before the age of 5. What do you think we should do, as a leading nation in the world, to help Sierra Leone?

It's not an issue of Sierra Leone, Sierra Leone is a struggling country like so many others. In the specific case of Sierra Leone, however, we have $135,000,000 in foreign aid directly plus $400,000,000 allocated to the African Development Bank and $393,000,000 for overall worldwide GTO humanitarian efforts. We cannot realistically direct foreign aid, and I believe that AtlasiaAID (the equivalent of USAID) is on the ground to direct and coordinate foreign aid, though the government intends to oversee foreign aid on basis of political, economic and social events which occur. Furthermore, on the topic of foreign aid, which will be covered asap by the DoEA in an official speech unveiling the final foreign aid budget, we already have various conditions on various nations (though not Sierra Leone, which is a relatively stable and new democratic state about which I'm quite optimistic about) for extra foreign aid which depend on their commitments to basic democratic reforms and so forth

In terms of foreign aid, is there anything you wish to see changed or reformed?
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2010, 10:23:38 AM »

Given that I'm the only SoEA in a very long time to give a sh**t about foreign aid, I can't be willing to change or reform anything in a non-existent structure. Basically, the structure set up is my structure Wink
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2010, 09:52:39 PM »

What is the government position on Okinawa?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2010, 10:41:24 AM »

Given that I'm the only SoEA in a very long time to give a sh**t about foreign aid, I can't be willing to change or reform anything in a non-existent structure. Basically, the structure set up is my structure Wink

Do you want to add anything to "the structure" of your creation, in that case? If you can't change, or reform whats already there, you might be able to expand and add currently non-existing aspects.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2010, 03:56:34 PM »

Do you want to add anything to "the structure" of your creation, in that case? If you can't change, or reform whats already there, you might be able to expand and add currently non-existing aspects.

Optimally, I'd do much better and do a full blast thing, but since I'm alone and because I'm quite busy (exams, summatives, new home) and lazy, it's harder.

The "government" doesn't have a position on it, the SoEA himself is favourable to the Japanese government's latest position on the issue.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2010, 04:45:57 PM »

Optimally, I'd do much better and do a full blast thing, but since I'm alone and because I'm quite busy (exams, summatives, new home) and lazy, it's harder.

The "government" doesn't have a position on it, the SoEA himself is favourable to the Japanese government's latest position on the issue.

Atlasia will never be able to overcome the seasonal effect of school. Perhaps we should establish some monitor of activity levels and then "seasonally adjust" it. lol
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2010, 09:23:26 PM »

Atlasia will never be able to overcome the seasonal effect of school. Perhaps we should establish some monitor of activity levels and then "seasonally adjust" it. lol

20 years from now, when we are all still here, maybe not Wink
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies