ATTENTION GOVERNORS: An Amendment has passed the Senate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:08:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  ATTENTION GOVERNORS: An Amendment has passed the Senate
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: ATTENTION GOVERNORS: An Amendment has passed the Senate  (Read 962 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 13, 2010, 05:27:03 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You know what to do Tongue

Your annoying Veep.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 01:55:59 AM »

I may be the only person to vote against this... but I think it unnecessarily clutters the registration thread.  There's no need for intraregional movement.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 07:39:13 AM »

I may be the only person to vote against this... but I think it unnecessarily clutters the registration thread.  There's no need for intraregional movement.

I tend to agree...I mean, personal freedom is one thing, but why do we really need to be able to change states every 24 hours?
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 11:08:10 AM »

I'm wondering the same thing.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 12:13:44 PM »

I tend to agree...I mean, personal freedom is one thing, but why do we really need to be able to change states every 24 hours?

If this were real life, I wouldn't object.  But this just makes it more complicated for the Registrar General without adding anything substantial to the game.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 12:44:36 PM »

If this were real life, I wouldn't object.  But this just makes it more complicated for the Registrar General without adding anything substantial to the game.

Well, that's RG pain Tongue Anyone who accepts this job, should be aware of pain.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 05:12:14 PM »

Well, that's RG pain Tongue Anyone who accepts this job, should be aware of pain.
It's unnecessary pain.  You're telling me that if I went and changed my residency every day that wouldn't be excessive?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 09:06:17 AM »

It's unnecessary pain.  You're telling me that if I went and changed my residency every day that wouldn't be excessive?

No, I wouldn't, but when this amendment was in effect under old constitution, people were actually acting quite responsible with this. And, beside, it's a matter of principle, even if this is an useless principle.

Oh, by the way, I remember you started the recession.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2010, 01:17:45 AM »

What principle?  There's no reasonable principle in allowing people to move every 24 hours, unless they actually intend to do so.  And there's no reason people should be doing that.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2010, 01:24:27 AM »

What principle?  There's no reasonable principle in allowing people to move every 24 hours, unless they actually intend to do so.  And there's no reason people should be doing that.

People aren't going to be constantly moving every 24 hours. This amendment was in force under the old constitution for three months and chaos did not break out in the registration thread.

It was accidentally left out of the new constitution, thus this is simply a rectification.

All of the objections being raised against this amendment are baseless in light of the empirical data.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010, 01:31:16 AM »

Intraregional moving serves no purpose to the game now that there's no redistricting.  The only thing it does is add more posts to the thread.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2010, 01:34:16 AM »

Intraregional moving serves no purpose to the game now that there's no redistricting.  The only thing it does is add more posts to the thread.

Having state registration in itself is unnecessary and serves no technical game purpose. Everything is at the regional level or higher.

But it adds flavor.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2010, 01:40:30 AM »

Having state registration in itself is unnecessary and serves no technical game purpose. Everything is at the regional level or higher.

But it adds flavor.

State registration was necessary for redistricting.  And if we ever decided to move regional boundaries, it could be.

It adds flavor, and it should be allowe.  But allowing it this frequently seems like it will do more harm than good.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2010, 01:56:38 AM »

But it adds flavor.

State registration was necessary for redistricting.  And if we ever decided to move regional boundaries, it could be.

It adds flavor, and it should be allowe.  But allowing it this frequently seems like it will do more harm than good.

Again, it's been tried, and we didn't have a mad rush of people changing every day.

As the RG pointed out at the time, the census data only gets updated when the RG gets around to it, so someone re-registering his state every day would be pointless.

There's no time limit on changing party enrollment, so if somebody wanted to be an ass, he could already create grief by switching parties non-stop. But that really doesn't happen.

There were quite a few people requesting the ability to change states within a region. They were made happy by its passage and I don't see how it caused harm to anyone who had been against it. You didn't even notice that this was in fact the policy for over 3 months.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2010, 02:26:29 AM »

Inks, people were using intra-mobility pretty reasonably and I don't remember folks changing registration every 24 hours. No need to despair about chaos.

We have statewide registration for fun reasons and why on earth I would be prohibited to move from one state to another within the same region...
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2010, 03:17:55 AM »

Actually, I did raise a complaint three months ago.  I'm not saying place a ban on intraregional movement.  I'm just saying that 24 hours seems unnecessarily low.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2010, 03:42:58 AM »

Actually, I did raise a complaint three months ago.  I'm not saying place a ban on intraregional movement.  I'm just saying that 24 hours seems unnecessarily low.
I didn't mean during the debate the last time this was voted on and passed. I meant during the actual three months when this policy was in force. The problems you and others claimed would occur never happened, so I am baffled as to why people are still using these same discredited arguments.

People can already spam the thread demanding state changes non-stop if they want. There's nothing stopping them from doing that now.

All this does is in fact make things easier since the RG doesn't have to keep track of when in the future someone will be eligible for a move within a region.

This whole debate has been framed in the wrong way anyway. There's a somewhat justifiable reason for restricting inter-regional movement since that has an actual impact on the game. If someone wants to just change states within a region, it does not impact the game and should not require a burdensome wait period.

We should be instead assuming freedom of movement as the natural state of existence and the burden of proof should be on those who want the long wait period to prove it is necessary to restrict the freedom of Atlasians.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies