2012ers on AZ immigration law: Santorum supports it, Romney wont take a position
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 03:53:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  2012ers on AZ immigration law: Santorum supports it, Romney wont take a position
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2012ers on AZ immigration law: Santorum supports it, Romney wont take a position  (Read 1393 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 28, 2010, 12:18:36 AM »

Santorum:

http://www.gop12.com/2010/04/santorum-defends-az-law-they-are-what.html

"If the people committing crimes look a certain way, you're foolish not to include that as part of your police work, and you know, that's not profiling, that is doing your job and understanding what's happening.

The fact of the matter is the vast majority of people crossing the border are Mexicans. That's just the reality. And if they were something else, we'd be profiling something else. But they are what they are."

Romney:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0410/36432.html

"Arizona's new immigration enforcement law is the direct result of Washington’s failure to secure the border and to protect the lives and liberties of our citizens,” Romney said.

“It is my hope that the law will be implemented with care and caution not to single out individuals based upon their ethnicity,” he added. “It is increasingly clear that the time has come for Washington to fulfill its responsibility for border security.”
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 04:05:26 AM »

Both opinions from them sound ridiculous.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 11:20:14 AM »

Romney not taking a side, there's a shocker. As a conservative, I'm uncomfortable with him being the nominee. I like open borders personally.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 05:51:17 PM »

Palin supports it:

http://www.gop12.com/2010/04/palin-slams-obama-for-encouraging.html

"There is no ability or opportunity in there for the racial profiling, and shame on the lamestream media again for turning this into something that it is not. Governor Jan Brewer did what she had to do as the CEO of that state

.... I think it's shameful, too, that the Obama administration has allowed, too, this to become more of a racial issue by perpetuating this myth that racial profiling is part of this law."
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 05:55:51 PM »

Palin supports it:

http://www.gop12.com/2010/04/palin-slams-obama-for-encouraging.html

"There is no ability or opportunity in there for the racial profiling, and shame on the lamestream media again for turning this into something that it is not. Governor Jan Brewer did what she had to do as the CEO of that state

.... I think it's shameful, too, that the Obama administration has allowed, too, this to become more of a racial issue by perpetuating this myth that racial profiling is part of this law."

leave it to the media to mislead America

Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 06:35:13 PM »

Romney not taking a side, there's a shocker. As a conservative, I'm uncomfortable with him being the nominee. I like open borders personally.

Wow Derek, my personal approval rating of you has skyrocketed.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 10:20:09 PM »
« Edited: April 29, 2010, 05:06:22 PM by pbrower2a »

Santorum:

http://www.gop12.com/2010/04/santorum-defends-az-law-they-are-what.html

"If the people committing crimes look a certain way, you're foolish not to include that as part of your police work, and you know, that's not profiling, that is doing your job and understanding what's happening.

The fact of the matter is the vast majority of people crossing the border are Mexicans. That's just the reality. And if they were something else, we'd be profiling something else. But they are what they are."

Is it any surprise that Rick Santorum was defeated 59-41 in Pennsylvania in his re-election bid of 2006?

He should be careful about profiling in principle because his ethnic group has been frequently portrayed in movies -- and I don't mean as artists of the High Renaissance.  

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This law is likely to promote crime by making illegal aliens more hostile to the police even when they are victims of crimes. Enforcement of immigration laws has never been a prerogative of state or local police.

I have no problem with the cops picking up criminal suspects in the normal course of law enforcement and then offering notification that a criminal suspect is possibly an illegal alien.  Racial profiling for illegal aliens? Almost certainly unconstitutional.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 10:42:02 PM »

It is constitutional in my view as long as they are here illegally. The question is how would they know? Once it's done to someone here legally, then it becomes unconstitutional. As for Romney, he said alot on both sides about wanting it to be enforced properly and it being a result of a lack of federal effort. However, he also spoke out against racial profiling which is part of the bill.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 10:42:46 PM »

Wow Derek, my personal approval rating of you has skyrocketed.

was it the Romney quote or the border quote?
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 05:47:38 AM »

Jesus, Palin used the 'lamestream media' phrase again? She sounds like a 12-year-old.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 12:55:16 PM »

Yeah for Santorum. He just went up in my book.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 05:19:00 PM »

I'm proud to be from Santorum's state.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 10:57:19 PM »

Jesus, Palin used the 'lamestream media' phrase again? She sounds like a 12-year-old.

I was surprised that it was a quote from her, but then again, when hasn't she surprised me?
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2010, 12:51:07 PM »

I hope that 20yo that hacked into her email is sexually assaulted in prison by a man who hasn't seen a woman in years. Serves him right for trying to mess things up for conservates.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2010, 01:07:40 PM »

Wasn't one of the huge hallmarks of securing the border that terrorists could sneak in?  Last I checked these two don't look the same:

dmmidmi
dmwestmi
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2010, 01:21:58 PM »

I hope that 20yo that hacked into her email is sexually assaulted in prison by a man who hasn't seen a woman in years. Serves him right for trying to mess things up for conservates.
Wow.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2010, 01:32:35 PM »

That kid should've kept his gooey hocus pocus to himself.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies