The future of Puerto Rico
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:25:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The future of Puerto Rico
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The future of Puerto Rico  (Read 2069 times)
LBJ Revivalist
ModerateDemocrat1990

Political Matrix
E: -5.87, S: -2.87

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 28, 2010, 10:43:52 AM »

Where do you think the future of Puerto Rico (say within the next 5-20 years) lie? Statehood? The status quo? Or independence as a nation?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 10:49:17 AM »

Status quo to a decline in conditions there....
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 08:24:56 PM »

It appears as though a change in status is gaining some momentum in the House.  The Puerto Rico Democracy Act was introduced in the 110th Congress as HR 900 and made it out of the Natural Resources Committee with broad bipartisan support but was never voted on by the full House.  The bill was reintroduced in the 111th as HR 2499, has made it out of committee again and is supposedly up for a vote by the full House on April 29th which is tomorrow.  The bill calls for an initial plebiscite, or vote, asking if Puerto Rico should maintain its current status as a territory.  If a majority votes to change status, a second plebiscite will be held with three options available:  statehood, full independence, or sovereignty with free association.  As far as I can tell the results of the second plebiscite are not binding in any way, they are simply meant to serve as an official poll of the people's opinion on what the new status should be.  If a majority votes to maintain the current territory status in the first vote it authorizes subsequent plebiscites to be held every 8 years regarding the matter.

Here is a link to the text of the bill.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 08:33:34 PM »

Hopefully statehood.
justW353
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.83

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 09:52:27 PM »

^^^

I'd say it's a state by 2030.  It's moving in that direction.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 09:54:12 PM »

It may well become our 51st state before the end of this decade, as long as Puerto Rico continues to move in that direction.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 10:08:12 PM »

Hopefully we can reach out and organize other states.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 11:46:08 PM »

What's the point of the sovereignty movement?  Would the federal government give up Puerto Rico if they wanted to be independent?  I would just assume the answer to that is no, but I'm not up on PR current events, so if I'm wrong - let me know.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 11:49:45 PM »

If they became a state, it would poke a hole in the "common American identity" crap used to justify vast centralization of power, and maybe give more credence to an argument in favor of federalism.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 11:53:02 PM »

What's the point of the sovereignty movement?  Would the federal government give up Puerto Rico if they wanted to be independent?  I would just assume the answer to that is no, but I'm not up on PR current events, so if I'm wrong - let me know.

Why wouldn't the government give up Puerto Rico?  With the closing of Viequez and most military bases there, it's no longer of much strategic interest.  And I'm sure the federal government spends more supporting Puerto Rico than it takes in in revenue.  If Puerto Ricans want to go their separate ways, let them - and revoke the US citizenship of those who were born there from parents who also were born there (or at least make sure their children aren't automatically granted citizenship by birth).

The two-tier vote system from the bill is fundamentally flawed, especially since a plurality rules on the second ballot and "sovereignty with free association" is somewhat meaningless.  And forcing revotes until Puerto Ricans give the "correct" answer is a disturbing tactic.  Let Puerto Rico decide when and how often to decide their status.  That shouldn't be mandated.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 12:48:34 AM »

Independence.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 01:08:32 AM »

I would favor independence for Puerto Rico.  The only reason it's part of the United States is because we conquered it from Spain.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 01:26:16 AM »

We did this last week (or maybe two weeks ago).  They don't want independence.  They don't really want statehood either.  The status quo doesn't work right for anybody.  They should get one more vote.  Statehood or Indy.  No third option.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2010, 02:09:52 AM »

I would favor independence for Puerto Rico.  The only reason it's part of the United States is because we conquered it from Spain.

The only reason your state is part of the U.S. is that U.S. conquered it from Mexico.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2010, 06:56:22 AM »

You know that's the only reason California, New Mexico, Nevada, Arizona, and Utah are part of the US as well, except change Spain to Mexico. 
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2010, 09:59:33 AM »

I'd like to see it become a state that also includes the US Virgin Islands.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2010, 10:10:15 AM »

Independence would destroy them.  Its economy relies entirely on US aid.  It's a noble idea to let them go free, but it would be devastating.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2010, 10:29:04 AM »

If they became a state, it would poke a hole in the "common American identity" crap used to justify vast centralization of power, and maybe give more credence to an argument in favor of federalism.

Hawaii?
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2010, 10:32:36 AM »

Problem is that the USVI speak English while PR speaks Spanish. More realistic would be to try to merge the USVI with Florida.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2010, 10:41:01 AM »

Problem is that the USVI speak English while PR speaks Spanish. More realistic would be to try to merge the USVI with Florida.

Stuff can be billingual. No biggie. Not like English is universally spoken in Florida either Tongue
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2010, 06:16:15 PM »

"sovereignty with free association" is somewhat meaningless.

I'm presuming it means a status like Palau, Micronesia, and the Marshall Islands have.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2010, 06:34:57 PM »

I'm presuming it means a status like Palau, Micronesia, and the Marshall Islands have.

And it's not a real choice supported by many.  The real choices are status quo, statehood and independence.  The way these votes are deliberately stacked up essentially throw out the status quo option.  Which is crap, because it's won every referendum taken thus far.  The real first question - and ONLY question should be do you want statehood, independence, status quo or other.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2010, 09:29:07 PM »

Stuff can be billingual. No biggie. Not like English is universally spoken in Florida either Tongue

That wouldn't be enough for the Virgin Islanders. They get to determine their own affairs right now, but they would be vastly outvoted in Puerto Rico (or Florida, I suppose, but at least there the state legislature would speak the same language). They would never support statehood if it meant merging with Puerto Rico.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2010, 09:49:43 PM »

And it's not a real choice supported by many.  The real choices are status quo, statehood and independence.  The way these votes are deliberately stacked up essentially throw out the status quo option.  Which is crap, because it's won every referendum taken thus far.  The real first question - and ONLY question should be do you want statehood, independence, status quo or other.

Status quo should not be an option because the perceived status quo of "enhanced commonwealth" does not exist and cannot exist within the bounds of the Constitution.  This half state/half territory bastardization that the pro-status quo camp promotes is completely unacceptable.  If Puerto Rico wishes to remain a part of the US it must either exist as a territory completely subject to the whims of Congress or become a state.  Otherwise the other options are complete independence or the sovereignty with free association that some of our other former territories enjoy.  It doesn't matter how many votes the "status quo" option wins or how popular it is, it should not be paraded out as a viable route for Puerto Rico's future status in any way shape or form.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2010, 10:12:12 PM »

Status quo should not be an option because the perceived status quo of "enhanced commonwealth" does not exist and cannot exist within the bounds of the Constitution.  This half state/half territory bastardization that the pro-status quo camp promotes is completely unacceptable.  If Puerto Rico wishes to remain a part of the US it must either exist as a territory completely subject to the whims of Congress or become a state.  Otherwise the other options are complete independence or the sovereignty with free association that some of our other former territories enjoy.  It doesn't matter how many votes the "status quo" option wins or how popular it is, it should not be paraded out as a viable route for Puerto Rico's future status in any way shape or form.

Funny.  Article IV, Section 3, Clause 2 of my constitution says "Congress shall have Power to dispose of and make all needful Rules and Regulations respecting the Territory or other Property belonging to the United States" - i.e. Congress can make whatever rules and regulations it wants respecting how territories are governed.  If it wants to allow a territory to elect its own governor and legislature to make its own laws, it can.  If it wants to appoint a governor and legislate territorial matters from Washington, it can, too.  I don't know what your constitution says - but it must be different.

Status quo is a viable option - and the ONLY one Puerto Ricans have ever voted for when put to a vote.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies