The future of Puerto Rico
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:16:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The future of Puerto Rico
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: The future of Puerto Rico  (Read 2071 times)
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2010, 06:39:40 PM »

"sovereignty with free association" is somewhat meaningless.

I'm presuming it means a status like Palau, Micronesia, and the Marshall Islands have.

And it's not a real choice supported by many.  The real choices are status quo, statehood and independence.  The way these votes are deliberately stacked up essentially throw out the status quo option.  Which is crap, because it's won every referendum taken thus far.  The real first question - and ONLY question should be do you want statehood, independence, status quo or other.

Status quo should not be an option because the perceived status quo of "enhanced commonwealth" does not exist and cannot exist within the bounds of the Constitution.  This half state/half territory bastardization that the pro-status quo camp promotes is completely unacceptable.  If Puerto Rico wishes to remain a part of the US it must either exist as a territory completely subject to the whims of Congress or become a state.  Otherwise the other options are complete independence or the sovereignty with free association that some of our other former territories enjoy.  It doesn't matter how many votes the "status quo" option wins or how popular it is, it should not be paraded out as a viable route for Puerto Rico's future status in any way shape or form.

Funny.  Article IV, Section 3, Clause 2 of my constitution says "Congress shall have Power to dispose of and make all needful Rules and Regulations respecting the Territory or other Property belonging to the United States" - i.e. Congress can make whatever rules and regulations it wants respecting how territories are governed.  If it wants to allow a territory to elect its own governor and legislature to make its own laws, it can.  If it wants to appoint a governor and legislate territorial matters from Washington, it can, too.  I don't know what your constitution says - but it must be different.

Status quo is a viable option - and the ONLY one Puerto Ricans have ever voted for when put to a vote.

That's all well and good but the PPD (the political party which promotes the status quo) believes Puerto Rico is not a "territory" of the US and is therefore exempt from this clause.  They believe that Puerto Rico currently enjoys an irrevocable "enhanced commonwealth" status which allows them to enjoy near complete sovereignty while simultaneously maintaining US Citizenship.  This misleading fantasy status has been promoted by the PPD in every plebiscite to date and it appears as if the recently passed HR 2499 will unfortunately include it as well.  To allow Puerto Ricans to believe such an option is viable is completely unacceptable.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2010, 07:02:49 PM »

That's all well and good but the PPD (the political party which promotes the status quo) believes Puerto Rico is not a "territory" of the US and is therefore exempt from this clause.  They believe that Puerto Rico currently enjoys an irrevocable "enhanced commonwealth" status which allows them to enjoy near complete sovereignty while simultaneously maintaining US Citizenship.  This misleading fantasy status has been promoted by the PPD in every plebiscite to date and it appears as if the recently passed HR 2499 will unfortunately include it as well.  To allow Puerto Ricans to believe such an option is viable is completely unacceptable.

As long as CONGRESS thinks the status quo of enhanced Commonwealth status is okay, it is.  Period.   Puerto Rico's commonwealth status is far from unique among U.S. territories.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2010, 11:53:13 PM »

I'd like to see it become a state that also includes the US Virgin Islands.

Problem is that the USVI speak English while PR speaks Spanish. More realistic would be to try to merge the USVI with Florida.

That wouldn't make any sense, we're WAY to far away from them to have effective govt.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2010, 03:11:03 PM »

Problem is that the USVI speak English while PR speaks Spanish. More realistic would be to try to merge the USVI with Florida.

That wouldn't make any sense, we're WAY to far away from them to have effective govt.

It would cause a lot of problems for the DMV to have part of the state drive on the right and part on the left.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2010, 12:34:48 AM »

It would cause a lot of problems for the DMV to have part of the state drive on the right and part on the left.

I know that's true about the BVI but I'm pretty sure the USVI drives on the correct side of the road, it's been a long time since I've been though.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2010, 02:21:36 PM »

I know that's true about the BVI but I'm pretty sure the USVI drives on the correct side of the road, it's been a long time since I've been though.

USVI drives on the left, which is the practice it had when we acquired them from Denmark in 1917.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2010, 02:43:26 PM »

USVI uses American-style left-hand drive vehicles while driving British-style in the left lane. Very confusing.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies