FDR vs. Herbert Hoover 1928
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 01:54:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  FDR vs. Herbert Hoover 1928
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: FDR vs. Herbert Hoover 1928  (Read 1223 times)
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 28, 2010, 07:48:16 PM »

FDR is elected Governor of NY several years earlier than in RL. Everything else stays the same. You pick the VPs. Discuss, with maps.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 08:04:08 PM »

405-126

FDR does much better then Smith in the southern states due to his protestant religion, but loses overwhelmingly in Catholic Massachusetts and Rhode Island, which were both won by Smith by one percent. So, it ends up still being a Hoover landslide in the Republican Twenties.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 08:47:33 PM »

405-126

FDR does much better then Smith in the southern states due to his protestant religion, but loses overwhelmingly in Catholic Massachusetts and Rhode Island, which were both won by Smith by one percent. So, it ends up still being a Hoover landslide in the Republican Twenties.

Since FDR is from NY, I was thinking he might win there. Smith was from there and he only lsot the state by 2%. Since FDR was more charismatic than Smith, he might have pulled off a win in NY.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 08:59:39 PM »

405-126

Since FDR is from NY, I was thinking he might win there. Smith was from there and he only lsot the state by 2%. Since FDR was more charismatic than Smith, he might have pulled off a win in NY.

I doubt it. Political charisma meant far less in 1928 then it does now. Plus, with Smith off the ticket, Catholics in New York would be more receptive to the Republican Party, which also would have assisted them.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 09:07:55 PM »

405-126

I doubt it. Political charisma meant far less in 1928 then it does now. Plus, with Smith off the ticket, Catholics in New York would be more receptive to the Republican Party, which also would have assisted them.

FDR actually came reasonably close to losing New York several times OTL.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 09:16:22 PM »

405-126

Yeah in 1940 FDR won New York by only 224,440 votes.....against Wendell Willkie.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 09:19:33 PM »

405-126

Yeah in 1940 FDR won New York by only 224,440 votes.....against Wendell Willkie.
Off from his national average, and only 3 or 4 percentage points.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 11:41:46 PM »

405-126

Yeah, but Wilkie was also from NY. Hoover was not.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 11:48:55 PM »

405-126

Yes, but Willkie never actually held state-wide elected office from NY.

I doubt I myself would crack 30% in Massachusetts, were I to be in an election.

John Edwards was from South Carolina, but won a single precinct in the primary.

Michelle Bachmann is from Minnesota, but I don't think that would pull it towards the GOP.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 05:58:21 PM »

405-126

Thomas Dewey was also from New York and actually was in office when he ran in 1944 against FDR.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 06:02:36 PM »

405-126

Thomas Dewey was also from New York and actually was in office when he ran in 1944 against FDR.

Yeah, and in 1944 NY was reasonably close as well.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 10:48:51 PM »

Willkie wasn't a New Yorker.  He was born and raised in Indiana, practiced law in Ohio, ran his campaign out of Rushville, and spoke with a Midwestern accent.  He clearly identified more with Indiana then he did with New York.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies