National ID Card Included In Democratic Immigration Bill
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 03:50:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you favor a bill which includes a National ID card?
Yes

No (damn gummit)

Maybe

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 33

Author Topic: National ID Card Included In Democratic Immigration Bill  (Read 1275 times)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 30, 2010, 09:29:22 AM »

Ryan Grim
Thu Apr 29, 8:05 pm ET

Democrats pushed forward on an immigration overhaul on Thursday evening with no Republican support, as Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) continues to hold out, arguing that the divisive issue will make progress on climate change legislation impossible.

The Senate is also in the middle of debating Wall Street reform, which is expected to take up the next few weeks of floor time. Reid, however, said that the chamber would be able to handle the task. "We can do more than one thing at once," he said.

The Democratic proposal includes increased money for border patrol and drug war agents, equipment, helicopters and unmanned drones. It would create a national ID -- which is dubbed a "biometric social security card." Though Democrats insist that it is not an ID card and can only be used for employment purposes.

The proposal would also include a crackdown on employers who hire undocumented workers. It works to deport some immigrants who are not in the country legally and creates a limited pathway to citizenship for others.

Democrats brought out their heavy hitters for the announcement: Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.); Majority Whip Dick Durbin (D-Ill.); Sen. Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.), who's been leading the push for immigration reform; Sen. Bob Menendez (D-N.J.); Judiciary Committee Chairman Pat Leahy (D-Vt.) and Intelligence Committee Chairwoman Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.).

The crackdown on employers relies on the creation of national identity cards. "These cards will be fraud-resistant, tamper-resistant, wear resistant, and machine-readable social security cards containing a photograph and an electronically coded micro-processing chip which possesses a unique biometric identifier for the authorized card-bearer," reads the bill summary.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 09:31:05 AM »

Nooooooooooooooooooo

Papers, please!
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 11:50:26 AM »

The states won't let this happen. If you remember RealID, some 30 states moved forward to block it, and 6 had it signed into law.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 03:32:40 PM »

I voted maybe simply because I didn't like the question.  I like the idea of a National ID card, but I don't favor a bill simply because that provision is in it.  Tongue
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 04:04:09 PM »

The states won't let this happen. If you remember RealID, some 30 states moved forward to block it, and 6 had it signed into law.

Has nothing to do with the States since instead of an upgraded Driver's License issued by the States at their expense this would be an upgraded Social Security Card issued by the Federal government at its own expense.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 04:33:03 PM »

We already have a national ID card, your social security card. We don't need another one. And we don't need fascist immigration reform that creates a permanent underclass of legalized indentured servants to undercut the American worker.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 05:07:56 PM »

Lol @ the idea that the Democrats are any less authoritarian than Republicans.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 06:16:44 PM »

This is just a social security card that will make it easier for employers to verify a person's work eligibility. I more or less support it since we already have a social security card. But the card will contain biometric information of an individual.....
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 08:03:02 PM »

Of course I favor an ID card. I'm a fascist! 
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 08:12:45 PM »

Ok, bringing in the f word was a stupid move, especially since I complained about that myself not too long ago.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 08:18:47 PM »

Lol @ the idea that the Democrats are any less authoritarian than Republicans.

FYI EVERYONE: The Democrats are including this in the bill as an aggressive employment-focused initiative on illegal immigration in exchange for getting GOP votes on a path to citizenship.

The idea: Make it reaaaaaally tough for businesses to hire illegal immigrants, and then give illegal immigrants already in the country a way out. 

"Enforcing the border" is a platitude that doesn't really matter.  So many illegal immigrants cross the border legally but stay illegally that it's ridiculous as a serious one-size-fits-all solution.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 08:19:57 PM »

Ok, bringing in the f word was a stupid move, especially since I complained about that myself not too long ago.

It is OK to call yourself a fascist isn't it?  Or isn't it?  Smiley I mean the definition of the word around here is rather expansive. Tongue

Anyway, I am not a paranoid person, and am not bothered by an ID card. And frankly I don't care much what anyone knows about me. Have at it! Maybe my problem is that I have such a huge ego that opprobrium doesn't bother me that much, as long as I am at peace with my own conscience. Or something.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2010, 08:23:21 PM »

Opposed to both the "National ID Card" and the immigration bill in general.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2010, 08:28:04 PM »

It is OK to call yourself a fascist isn't it?  Or isn't it?  Smiley I mean the definition of the word around here is rather expansive. Tongue

Anyway, I am not a paranoid person, and am not bothered by an ID card. And frankly I don't care much what anyone knows about me. Have at it! Maybe my problem is that I have such a huge ego that opprobrium doesn't bother me that much, as long as I am at peace with my own conscience. Or something.

Yes, Torie, fascists such as yourself are usually at peace with their own consciences. Especially when they are oppressing others. Tongue
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2010, 11:13:15 PM »

I think this kinda-sorta violates the Constitution, not that it matters or anything.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2010, 11:50:44 PM »

I oppose the biometrics part of this national ID. I shouldn't have to give my fingerprint up to the govt for some ID card. If this actually does come true I won't participate for obvious reasons.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2010, 11:59:11 PM »

I think this kinda-sorta violates the Constitution, not that it matters or anything.

Well, yeah, but you think a lot of stuff violates the Constitution that actually doesn't.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2010, 12:48:47 AM »

Well, yeah, but you think a lot of stuff violates the Constitution that actually doesn't.

Which Constitution?  The real one or the "living" one?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2010, 01:13:25 AM »

In Austria we already have a so called E-card with your social insurance number on it, primarily for medical purposes. But you can also upgrade it to a "Citizen Card" to do your e-government businesses like tax returns etc.

About 99.5% of Austrians have this E-card and it turned out to be very useful compared with the earlier paper crap. Doctors and hospitals as well as the Social Insurance companies save a lot of many because of this system and in a recent survey 97% of Austrians find the e-card a very good thing.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2010, 05:24:46 PM »

We already have a national ID card, your social security card. We don't need another one. And we don't need fascist immigration reform that creates a permanent underclass of legalized indentured servants to undercut the American worker.

It won't be an additional card.  It would replace the current paper card with a plastic one that includes a chip with additional information rather than just your name and SSN.  To be honest, I haven't carried my social security card in like two decades.  The darn paper keeps disintegrating, even when laminated (which you aren't suppose to do). 
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2010, 06:08:29 PM »

I said "Maybe" because I really don't care.  I've never been one of the adament opposers to the national ID Card idea.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2010, 06:12:01 PM »

Maybe... I suppose I could support a Travel ID for those that don't have a license or a passport.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies