Dewey Elected-1948-2010
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:58:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Dewey Elected-1948-2010
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Dewey Elected-1948-2010  (Read 9486 times)
enlightened despot
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2010, 02:49:16 PM »

This is really good so far. With Dewey in the White House and Hanley on the Supreme Court, who became the Governor of New York?

My assumption is likely wrong, but I think the State Senate Majority Leader would be elevated (there was two in 1949) after Hanley leaves office. The next gubernatorial election was 1950, so this timeline might see four different New York governors in two years if Harriman gets elected four years early!
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2010, 01:51:05 PM »

This is really good so far. With Dewey in the White House and Hanley on the Supreme Court, who became the Governor of New York?

My assumption is likely wrong, but I think the State Senate Majority Leader would be elevated (there was two in 1949) after Hanley leaves office. The next gubernatorial election was 1950, so this timeline might see four different New York governors in two years if Harriman gets elected four years early!

Arthur H. Hicks becomes Governor. Thanks for the praise!
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2010, 02:17:47 PM »
« Edited: May 09, 2010, 03:24:53 PM by SE Lt. Gov tb75 »

International Struggles:
-------------------------------------------------------------

President Dewey, a well known Anti-Communist, believed in a Anti-Communist World. But, The President struggled to achieve this. The Chinese Civil War was coming to an end, with Mao Zedong taking over as the The leader of now communist China. This was a major blow to anti-communists all over the world. Especially after  defeating Japan in World War 2, the Country believed the fighting in Asia was over. But, China now working with The Soviet Union, was now the opposing force in the World.

The Premier of China, Mao Zedong

China began to act like former foe's Germany when the Country invaded and Took Over North Korea, turning it into  a Communist Nation. The United Nations, including the United States were angry, the Chinese and the soviet Union violated their peace promises. After repeated failure by the two countries to give up North Korea, The United Nations declared War on China and The USSR. The Korean War has begun.

President Dewey order an emergency address to the American people. "The actions of the Communist in China and The Soviet Union is evil and must be stopped. The fate of the world is in our hands, and i will intend to do all i can to face adversity in the face, and to stop the evil leaders before it's too late. Now, we need your help, Men need to join the armed forces, women need to contribute with work, items must be rationed,  and everyone can pray for our great Union. Thank you, and god bless our troops, and our country."

Public support, was strong despite public hate for war. The Army recruited 3 million men and women despite having their budget slashed. The Economy stayed strong, despite lessing purchase and more military items.

With the War starting, and the Mid Term elections in a few Months, how will President dewey react?
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2010, 01:02:43 PM »

Senate Elections 1950

With WW3 in full swing an early American success, the people decided to stay with Republican leadership. With several republican gains, the Republican Party took over the senate

Rep Gains:

Richard Nixon(California)
Prescott Bush(Connecticut)
John M. Butler(Maryland)
W.H Alexander(Oklahoma)
James H. Duff(Pennsylvania)
Wallace F. Bennett(Utah)

Dems lose six, while gaining no seats

(Note: Arkansas is supposed to be red, but i don't have time to change it. Sorry)

Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2010, 01:15:51 PM »

House of Representatives Elections 1950

The Republicans win the house, despite gains by the dems in the south.

Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2010, 04:06:22 PM »

Let's to 52', because The Korean War goes the same as in RL.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

President Dewey has had tons of Bad luck since 1950. The Korean War is in a stalemate, with either side making any advances. General Douglas MacArthur, who was dismissed after bad mouthing the President  over Dewey's refusal to use Atomic Weapons to end the war.

The economy was also in bad shape. The post war economy collapsed after the war, mainly due to due to increased government spending due to the Korean War. Average Prices increased to highs not seen since the Great depression. The public began to lose faith in the current administration.

The Democrats looking forward to the 1952 election, began to look for different candidates. Democratic Party leaders, who wanted  an established candidate, went after former President Harry S. Truman. But, he refused to run, but will endorse a candidate for President.

Former President Truman refusing to run.

The Democrats need  a exciting field of Candidates to make their hopes increase, and they get it, and an exciting Primary season.....

Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2010, 04:07:32 PM »

Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2010, 07:19:49 PM »

A hero emerges

The Democrats, after losing their main candidate in former President Truman, looked for  a favorite. One choice was General Dwight D. Eisenhower, who was a favorite in 1948 but refused both parties nomination. While serving as President of Columbia University, Eisenhower grew infuriated at President Dewey due to his management of the War. But he still refused to run.

The first Canidate to announce his run was Senator Estes Kefauver of Tennessee, who was the early front runner.

The Early Front Runner

Another Candidate to Run was Governor Pat Brown of California

But, on January 6th, 1952, General Eisenhower announced his run for the Democratic nomination.

General Eisenhower is now the favorite, but will America Like "Ike"?
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2010, 05:45:26 PM »

I Like "Ike"

After the entry of General Eisenhower entered the race for the Democratic nomination, many critics wondered if the General would fit in with the Democrats.  General Eisenhower took the issue head on "If elected, i want to bring America forward with the democratic ideals that got us here ti begin with."

His Democratic opponents however did not take kindly to the general. "Why should you vote for  a candidate who talked about running for another party. I Think not" Said Senator Kefavor.

The Senator Campaigning in Illinois

The first Primary was in January 1952, with Eisenhower winning with 55% percent of the vote, compared to 35% with Kefavor, and 10% with Brown.

By the end of the primary season this was how the map ended up:

Despite winning most of the Primaries, General Eisenhower looked like he would have a battle at the convention.

The republicans however had only one Candidate: President Dewey. The only drama he faced was who would be the Vice President?

Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2010, 02:34:08 PM »

The 1952 Democratic Convention
[/color] [/size]

The 1952 Democratic Convention was to be held in Chicago, Illinois. The Convention featured a battle between General Dwight D. Eisenhower and Senator Estes Kefavor of Tennessee. Kefavor was the early favorite for the nomination, until General Eisenhower entered the race, but still gave the General a run for his money in the primaries, winning big states like Florida,Illinois, and New Jersey. The other Contender, Governor Pat Brown of California was a distant third, winning only one State, his home California. He may not win the nomination, but he may be a factor in the choosing of the nominee.

The First ballot ended with Eisenhower leading with 273 votes to 250 for Kefavor. A endorsement of some sort was needed for one of the Candidates to win. And Eisenhower got it from former President Truman. "The General is the right person to lead the country through a war. He has experience, and i trust no one better than him", said the former President.

Eisenhower and Truman back in 1945 meeting at the White House

At the end of the second ballot Eisenhower lead 400 to 358 for Kefavor. Governor Brown needed to endorse a candidate and give them his delegates. So after long discussions, Brown decided to endorse Eisenhower, giving him enough delegates for Victory.

General Eisenhower, The Democratic Nominee for President

The task of hand now was to choose a VP candidate. Eisenhower choose a young Senator from Minnesota, Hubert H, Humphrey. And the delegates listened to Ike, and Humphrey was chosen unanimously

Eisenhower-Humphrey: The Democratic Ticket of 1952

The Democrats were ready for The fall, but was The Republicans?
Vazdul (Formerly Chairman of the Communist Party of Ontario)
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2010, 03:14:02 PM »

Interesting development, having the Democrats nominate Eisenhower. Can't wait to see what the Republicans do to counter Ike.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2010, 03:32:20 PM »
« Edited: May 22, 2010, 04:36:24 PM by SE Lt. Gov tb75 »

The 1952 Republican Convention

With a popular opponent, President Dewey and the Republicans had to get their act together or a new home would be required for the President.

The Convention went well for the President, despite being unpopular in the polls due to the Korean War, and the Struggling economy, plus his Vice President Wendel Wilkie was retiring, which did not help Dewey.

Dewey selected Secretary of State Harold Stassen as his new VP, which went well the moderates, but the Conservative party members walked out on the convention, which had the same cursing effect as it had with Truman in 1948.

The duo of Dewey-Stassen was nominated, but their hype was taken away by the New party formed by the Conservatives, The American Party which scheduled  a convention a week after the Republican Convention.

The republican ticket of 1956.

Up Next: The American Party Convention
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2010, 04:48:47 PM »

The American Party Convention

After Dividing the Republican party over Conservative issues, the new American Conservative or American party had it's first convention in Cincinnati Ohio. The party choose it's most popular Candidate Senator Robert Taft as it's first Presidential Candidate.

For their VP choice the party Selected former Governor Earl Warren of California. The party wa son all 50 ballots in the Country, and actually was winning a few states as well.

The American Conservative Party Ticket

Up Next: The Election of 1952
Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
hantheguitarman

« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2010, 04:54:38 PM »

Go American Party! Keep it coming! Smiley Out of curiosity, why did Earl Warren bolt the GOP ITTL?
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2010, 05:05:19 PM »

Go American Party! Keep it coming! Smiley Out of curiosity, why did Earl Warren bolt the GOP ITTL?
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2010, 06:03:40 PM »

He got pissed at Dewey's leadership. Especially with Domestic issues
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2010, 09:29:58 PM »
« Edited: May 23, 2010, 02:34:13 PM by SE Lt. Gov tb75 »

The 1952 Presidential Election

It's been four years since Thomas E. Dewey has been elected President. He had successes and failure while President. Now, it's is time for the public to decide to keep him as their President. With The Korean War in a stalemate, as well as a failing economy, the tide was turning against President Dewey. "Throughout American History every President has suffered through a rough patch in their Presidency. It's up to them if they can handle it or if they will fail, i believe that i can handle it, and would love to have your vote in November" said President Dewey in a speech in Iowa.

President Dewey campaigning on a farm in Wyoming

The Favorite to win was General Eisenhower. He campaigned on a platform he called "Modern Democracy". In it he states that he will go to Korea and meet with the leaders about a peace treaty of Some Kind. Also, Eisenhower pledges to introduce new Programs to jump start the economy. "I believe that i can lead America;s crusade. I have done before and i am not afraid to do it again. The question is, can the other Gentleman do it?" Said General Eisenhower in Buffalo, New York

The general and his wife Mamie campaigning in North Carolina

Also as in 1948, there was a third party campaigning. But, The American Conservative party was a national Threat while the States Right's party was only a threat in the South. The party is the only Conservative Party on the ticket in 1952. "We are aware that our party is a spoilsport know, but on election day with your help, we will bring real Conservative Values that this nation needs to the Forefront" said Senator Taft in Indiana

Senator Taft Meeting a Voter in Missourii.

Eisenhower/Humphrey-292
Dewey/Stasen-187
Taft/Warren-52

By Election Night, the spilt created by President Dewey and Senator Taft helped General Eisenhower win the election, which was Predicted since the end of the Convention Season.

The American Conservative Party turned out right in their Projections by Winning Several States on election night and having strong showings in every state. The party was here to stay.

The Real disappointment of the night was President Dewey, who did not do well as he Predicted. The Americans rejected Dewey due to his failing policy's, and Television did not help much this time around either. Many television viewers voted for Eisenhower, who ironiclly hated Television.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If anyone wants specific state results, ask me.

yougo1000
United States

« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2010, 09:31:16 PM »

Wisconsin and South Dakota
Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
hantheguitarman

« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2010, 09:37:41 PM »

I would rather have had the Taft/Warren ticket win, but GO IKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2010, 09:38:20 PM »

South Dakota- Taft: 39%
                       Dewey- 30%
                       Eisenhower-30%

Wisconsin- Taft-35%
                 Dewey-30%
                 Eisenhower-30%
                  Others- 5%  

Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2010, 09:38:47 PM »

I would rather have had the Taft/Warren ticket win, but GO IKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't worry, The AC party will return
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2010, 03:13:00 PM »
« Edited: May 23, 2010, 03:30:23 PM by SE Lt. Gov tb75 »

1952 Senate Elections

The American Conservative Party did well in the Senate elections, winning ten seats, with Notable new Senators Barry Goldwater, Fredrick Payne (Who deafted Senator Ralph O. Brewster), Fred G. Andhal, Dwight Griswold, and John W. Brown.

The Republicans did mediocre, losing  5 seats.

The Democrats did well gaining 4 seats, and some new senator including John F. Kennedy, Scoop Jackson, and Stuart Symington.

Senate Makeup: 1952

Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2010, 03:41:56 PM »

1952 House Elections

The House elections were split among the Three parties. The AC party made big gains including winning most of Ohio's seats, and took away traditional Republican States. The Democrats did great as well winning a few states, and nearly beating the Republicans in the industrial states.
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2010, 04:31:54 PM »

The idea that Earl Warren would be on a ticket with Robert Taft, much less be apart in any sort of "American Conservative Party", really is absurd.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2010, 04:34:26 PM »

The idea that Earl Warren would be on a ticket with Robert Taft, much less be apart in any sort of "American Conservative Party", really is absurd.

The thought of any positive comments from you is really absurd.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies