Paterson Calls A Special In NY-29
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:00:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Paterson Calls A Special In NY-29
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Paterson Calls A Special In NY-29  (Read 1540 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 12, 2010, 03:33:41 PM »

http://capitaltonight.com/2010/05/paterson-calls-a-special-in-ny-29/

To run concurrent with the general election.  Whoever wins will take office immediately in November, rather than in January.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 03:48:52 PM »

And it couldn't run concurrent with the primary because.....
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 03:50:14 PM »

Yes, that would have worked (supposing you have the party bosses select their candidates, like they did in NY-20 and NY-23 instead of an actual primary election)
rbt48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 03:53:36 PM »

Because New York still lives in the Dark Ages when party bosses controlled everything they could grab onto.  Heck, in this case, Patterson is clearly violating the state law on filling Congressional vacancies.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 03:56:17 PM »

Because New York still lives in the Dark Ages when party bosses controlled everything they could grab onto.  Heck, in this case, Patterson is clearly violating the state law on filling Congressional vacancies.

I don't think Paterson is violating the actual text of the relevant state law, which gives Paterson control over when and whether to schedule a special election.  He may be violating the Constitution by refusing to schedule a special election, though.

Actually, I might have answered my own question, come to think of it.  I'm not sure that under the relevant New York law, Paterson could schedule the election in September - but I'd have to double check.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 04:03:44 PM »

No, running it concurrent with the primary would have given party bosses more power, because there wouldn't have been a primary. Think before you go making incendiary statements.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 04:18:05 PM »

No, running it concurrent with the primary would have given party bosses more power, because there wouldn't have been a primary. Think before you go making incendiary statements.

Paterson has no excuse for not immediately calling a special election, like he did in NY-20 and NY-23.  NY-29 deserves representation in Congress.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 05:27:26 PM »

Paterson has no excuse for not immediately calling a special election, like he did in NY-20 and NY-23.  NY-29 deserves representation in Congress.

I think that's debatable considering the last guy they sent there.

*joking*
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 05:28:54 PM »

I think that's debatable considering the last guy they sent there.

*joking*

Your joke tickled me pink!
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 10:45:17 PM »

So will it actually be single race with a 25 1/2 month term, as opposed to what happened in TX-22 for the 2006 election?
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 06:33:40 AM »

So will it actually be single race with a 25 1/2 month term, as opposed to what happened in TX-22 for the 2006 election?

No, there will be two separate elections. You can't have a regulard election for a House seat that covers more than the set two-year term.
Kevinstat

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2010, 05:39:33 PM »

Because New York still lives in the Dark Ages when party bosses controlled everything they could grab onto.  Heck, in this case, Patterson is clearly violating the state law on filling Congressional vacancies.

There still won't be a primary for the special election.  One might presume the parties will wait until after the primary for the full term to select a candidate for the special election, selecting whomever has won the primary.  The article Lunar's thread-starting post implied that Paterson's decision gave the party bosses more power, but in an update said that the election won't be called until October (after the primary), and I'm not sure a committee or what-not could officially nominate a candidate for a special election that has not yet been called.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

For a regular (non-special) election, can any Joe or Joanne Shmoe in New York who is legally qualified for a certain elected office on the state ballot get on the ballot by collecting signatures, even if he/she has no supporters at state/county conventions?  Do conventions even endorse/"nominate" candidates in primaries like they do in Minnesota?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2010, 09:06:38 PM »

No, there will be two separate elections. You can't have a regulard election for a House seat that covers more than the set two-year term.

Well, that's what I figured would happen normally, but Lunar's part about taking office in November rather than January made it confusing. That's not what happened in TX-22; of course there was that hilarious write-in issue.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2010, 02:29:19 PM »

Well, that's what I figured would happen normally, but Lunar's part about taking office in November rather than January made it confusing. That's not what happened in TX-22; of course there was that hilarious write-in issue.

That is what happened in TX, Sekula-Gibbs won the special which Lampson didn't bother to run in and held office from November to January 3rd. Then Lampson took over with the next term having won the regular election against Write-in Sekula-Gibbs.
rbt48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2010, 06:57:51 PM »

Oh, so my statement ranks as incendiary to you?  I don't think it is even close--I'm just expressing my impression of the history of party bossism in New York State and how vestages of it are still present today.

But really, if it was so compelling for Massachusetts to have an immediate fill for the vacant Senate seat after Kennedy died that the state adopted emergency legislation, then what kind of rationale can there be for leaving a Congressional seat vacant for 7 months?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2010, 12:50:59 PM »

http://www.eveningtribune.com/homepage/x2084247731/Despite-Paterson-s-special-election-lawsuit-continues
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies