Who is the most working-class US President?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:35:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Who is the most working-class US President?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Who is the most working-class US President?  (Read 4276 times)
Magic 8-Ball
mrk
YaBB God
Czech Republic

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2010, 05:54:51 AM »

Lyndon Johnson does not belong in this thread. That man was Lower Middle Class if that word ever meant anything.
Nor does Garfield. Or Reagan. Or Nixon (though this is very much about attitudes instilled, not income raised on.)

Emotion echoed.

Oh yeah, Andrew Johnson is the winning answer.

Garfield was born in a log cabin

That was kinda in vogue at the time.
Quite. The working class couldn't afford real log cabins. (Lincoln was born in one, but spent most of his childhood in something well below that standard IIRC.)

That sounds about right.  His father owned a couple of farms, but they weren't successful enough to provide a comfortable living.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2010, 02:12:51 PM »

Lyndon Johnson does not belong in this thread. That man was Lower Middle Class if that word ever meant anything.
Nor does Garfield. Or Reagan. Or Nixon (though this is very much about attitudes instilled, not income raised on.)

Emotion echoed.

Quite. The working class couldn't afford real log cabins. (Lincoln was born in one, but spent most of his childhood in something well below that standard IIRC.)

Still, I would have expected someone wealthy or middle-class at the time to give birth at a hospital or at their house (not in a log cabin), even if they lived in a rural area. Do you agree with me about Nixon, though?
Nobody went to hospitals to bear children in the 19th century. They were quite insanitary places, so this is all for the better.
It's in the first half of the the 20th century that being born at home is a class indicator. (Whose exact relevance changes across the period, of course.)

As to Nixon: "Lyndon Johnson does not belong in this thread. That man was Lower Middle Class if that word ever meant anything. Nor does (...) Nixon (though this is very much about attitudes instilled, not income raised on.)"
I have nothing to add.
Torie
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2010, 04:12:25 PM »

Yes, I agree Lewis. To me class is about attitudes and values and yes, aesthetics, not money, although there certainly is a correlation, and money to some extent can influence attitudes of course. Some of the immigrants we have who come in with no money, are really upper middle class in attitudes in my view (with a host more lower middle class), which makes it all so relatively complex.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2010, 12:26:54 PM »

Anyone who claims to represent the working class by calling it the working class is insulting other who work and are not being considered as the working class.

Please shut up.

Don't like hearing the truth?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2010, 11:31:37 PM »

Anyone who claims to represent the working class by calling it the working class is insulting other who work and are not being considered as the working class.

Please shut up.

What would you call people in the "working class" instead?
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2010, 10:01:25 AM »

Please shut up.

what is the working class?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2010, 11:29:51 AM »

Please shut up.

Laborers whose primary task in life is to work (no education, no vacation, no non-working time).
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2010, 01:08:10 PM »

Please shut up.

Laborers whose primary task in life is to work (no education, no vacation, no non-working time).

no vacation? non-working time? I've never heard of a job without that and I'm sure we've never had a president who worked under such conditions.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2010, 02:18:25 PM »

no vacation? non-working time? I've never heard of a job without that

Believe it or not, it used to be prevalent--before those dirty liburals passed progressive labor laws.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2010, 02:24:06 PM »

what party are you
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2010, 03:04:05 PM »

The term is used to describe a social and economic reality (and historical relationship) that is - somewhat amusingly - hard to define, even though it obviously exists.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2010, 03:40:31 PM »

I have none.  I am a believer in small government BUT with sensible regulations and laws that represent the common secular interests of the people.  Those include quality labor standards.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2010, 06:14:41 PM »

That's cool. I'm in favor of the unions from the early 20th century but I think it' gotten out of hand a little. A teachers' union near me went on strike a few years ago and they complained about and demanded more for their salaries because the grass they picketed on wasn't short enough and it was too muddy for them.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2010, 08:44:32 PM »

I'm not in favor of unions, actually.  I think they are inefficient.  Rather than have unions fight for benefits, we should just regulate minimum wage, the healthcare industry, etc. so that people don't have to beg through unions to live a decent life.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2010, 10:06:34 AM »

Ic your point, but I'm in favor of almost all deregulation other than environmental regulations.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2010, 01:09:45 PM »

Emotion echoed.

Still, I would have expected someone wealthy or middle-class at the time to give birth at a hospital or at their house (not in a log cabin), even if they lived in a rural area. Do you agree with me about Nixon, though?
Nobody went to hospitals to bear children in the 19th century. They were quite insanitary places, so this is all for the better.
FWIW, Carter was the first prez born in a hospital. We didn't have another hospital prez until Clinton.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2010, 06:04:19 PM »

Ic your point, but I'm in favor of almost all deregulation other than environmental regulations.

So you're in favor of financial deregulation, which played a large role in causing this financial crisis in the first place?
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2010, 06:12:54 PM »

So you're in favor of financial deregulation, which played a large role in causing this financial crisis in the first place?

No it didn't and I've posted my view on that on other forums on this site.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2010, 06:24:32 PM »

This site only has one forum.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2010, 06:29:38 PM »

Yes, it did. Without financial deregulation, those large banks wouldn't have been able to become so massive and volitaile and thus wouldn't have been able to drag down the whole U.S. economy if they ever went bankrupt.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2010, 12:42:19 AM »

Banks were giving bad loans to others who had no intention of paying them back. People were greedy enough to live too far above their means. Politicians are the ones that keep monopolies in business with laws in exchange for endorsements. Just ask Chris Dodd about that. Banning soft money to campaigns will keep politicians and monopolies out of the same bed. It's not totally the lenders' faults either. Carter and Clinton both implemented policies that forced lenders to write loans for people with such bad credit that it ruined the financial system almost 2 years ago. I guess it worked out for Clinton I mean he did have an economy that looked to be better than where it was heading.
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2010, 04:25:33 PM »

Andrew Johnson, without much of a doubt.
cpeeks
« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2010, 03:36:52 PM »

jmmy carter by far
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies