Who was the last 'working class' British PM? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:21:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Who was the last 'working class' British PM? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Who was the last 'working class' British PM?  (Read 2093 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: May 03, 2010, 04:37:48 PM »

My own thoughts; probably John Major.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 04:09:36 PM »

I'd still classify Major as of working class roots. I suspect it depends on where you take the 'snapshot' of his life. He left school with a handful of O-levels, dad dead at 19 never went to university, was for a period genuinely unemployed and signing and flat shared with three families in Brixton. He pulled himself up as he entered his 30's of course and worked his way up in his career and in politics.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 06:53:53 AM »

I'd still classify Major as of working class roots. I suspect it depends on where you take the 'snapshot' of his life. He left school with a handful of O-levels, dad dead at 19 never went to university, was for a period genuinely unemployed and signing and flat shared with three families in Brixton. He pulled himself up as he entered his 30's of course and worked his way up in his career and in politics.

I see where you are coming from but I still do not consider his background to be working class. Where in the UK do you reside? I lived in Portsmouth for 14 years.

Glasgow
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies