Countries with your favorite politics
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:21:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Countries with your favorite politics
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Countries with your favorite politics  (Read 1309 times)
Tuck!
tuckerbanks
Netherlands

Political Matrix
E: 0.06, S: -6.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 04, 2010, 06:35:58 PM »

Whether exciting elections or interesting systems, or having a good set of views or parties, discuss. Smiley
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 06:39:22 PM »

I like Israel's system of proportional represenation in Parliament. However, that has its own problems and many parties are very similar ideologically. However, I like the Electoral Colelge in the U.S., but am against gerrymandering.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 06:48:05 PM »

I don't know all that much about everyday politics in Australia, but I think they have the best political system (except for the mandatory voting).
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 07:11:39 PM »
« Edited: May 04, 2010, 07:19:11 PM by Verily »

New Zealand has a pretty good electoral system, and, with the disappearance of New Zealand First, their party system is at least decent (although remarkably strongly two-party for an MMP system, and likely to become more so at the next election given the feuding within ACT). Similar holds true of Germany.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 08:15:54 PM »
« Edited: May 04, 2010, 08:20:05 PM by Orleanser »

I like to follow politics in Brazil (obviously), Sweden, Norway, Spain and New Zealand quite a lot; and the UK, Australia, Italy, Argentina, Chile and South Africa when I feel like it. Aside from regular day-to-day French politics of course, and once-a-month immersion in deathly boring and depressing Canadian politics.

edit: I forgot Northern Ireland. I like that a lot.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 08:16:39 PM »

Australia's got a fine governmental system, even though I don't think much of Labor. In terms of parties, something must be said for Sweden and Norway. But there's no spectacle wuite like a British election.
frihetsivrare
Volksliberalist

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -7.13

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 12:42:49 AM »

for the system:  New Zealand, Czech Republic, France
for passion:  New Zealand, Australia, Venezuela, Brazil
for number of parties:  Sweden, Romania, Germany
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 01:00:38 AM »

for the system:  New Zealand, Czech Republic, France
for passion:  New Zealand, Australia, Venezuela, Brazil
for number of parties:  Sweden, Romania, Germany

I beleive that France has not redistricted its parliamentary seats since 1982--thus there are massive (sometimes up to 10-1) deviations in population among the different parliamentary districts.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 06:38:45 AM »

Scandinavian countries seem pretty awesome, either in term of ideology, of politicians and of voting system.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 02:34:17 PM »

French system is awful, just awful.

For the few others I know, I might have some likings for Germany.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 09:56:34 PM »

When I spent a week in Hong Kong on a legal education junket where we met judges and politicians, I was extremely impressed with both its governance and its courts. Hong Kong is probably the safest large city on the planet, well run, with sensible economic policies and planning, and a very "civil" society, and it manages that without seeming to be like living in a personal strait jacket like Singapore, with too many damn rules on personal expression. Yes, I know Hong Kong is part of China, but it essentially runs its own affairs outside of foreign policy as if it were independent, under the one country, two systems, structure.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 01:49:26 AM »

When I spent a week in Hong Kong on a legal education junket where we met judges and politicians, I was extremely impressed with both its governance and its courts. Hong Kong is probably the safest large city on the planet, well run, with sensible economic policies and planning, and a very "civil" society, and it manages that without seeming to be like living in a personal strait jacket like Singapore, with too many damn rules on personal expression. Yes, I know Hong Kong is part of China, but it essentially runs its own affairs outside of foreign policy as if it were independent, under the one country, two systems, structure.

Can a Chinese political dissident just go to Hong Kong and say whatever he wants about the Chinese government without being in danger ? I'm curious.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, 09:53:47 AM »

Hong Kong has free speech, but there are very strict border controls with the mainland, so the dissident may not be able to travel to Hong Kong. If in Hong Kong, the dissident could say whatever the dissident wants, but I would assume there might be consequences when the dissident returns home.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2010, 10:56:59 AM »
« Edited: May 06, 2010, 11:01:18 AM by Verily »

Hong Kong does not have a real democratic system, however, with 1/2 of the seats being elected by businesses or other special economic interests rather than the people.

There are 30 "functional" seats, 24 of which go to 24 different interest groups (tourism, agriculture, law, finance, education, transport, real estate, medical, etc. each have their own seat), two of which go to "general commerce", two of which go to "general industry", and three of which go to unions. The other 30 seats are elected.

I am surprised you would find political merit in such a strongly corporatist system that heavily biases the system in favor of pro-Beijing parties. Of the 30 elected seats, 19 voted for pro-democracy candidates in 2008 against just 10 for the pro-Beijing camp, but the pro-Beijing camp controls the legislature because they won 24 of the 30 functional seats to just 4 for the pro-democracy grouping.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2010, 11:20:58 AM »

Hong Kong has free speech, but there are very strict border controls with the mainland, so the dissident may not be able to travel to Hong Kong. If in Hong Kong, the dissident could say whatever the dissident wants, but I would assume there might be consequences when the dissident returns home.

Well, that's pretty surprising, but good news anyways. Wink
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2010, 11:43:14 AM »

Outside of a terrible monarchy I like the British Parliamentary system.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2010, 12:13:44 PM »

Switzerland
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2010, 12:50:27 PM »

Funny, I liked Singapore much better than Hong Kong. Hong Kong seemed far too disordered for this tourist to enjoy it.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2010, 01:58:04 PM »

Being a dane I obviously love following danish politics and I think our general system is about as good as it gets, despite the fact that a coalition which I have nothing but contempt for has been in power since 2001.

Aside from danish politics, I love following US politics. I also tend to follow various European elections, but not on an obsessive basis.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2010, 02:18:03 PM »

In terms of electoral systems, I like the US and Australia.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2010, 04:19:45 PM »

Thailand of course.  Its the only country I know of where the Ancien Régime is still in charge.  And not coincidentally the one with the most toleration of salubrious sexual industries.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2010, 02:53:49 AM »

Australia has a very strong electoral system and I don't know of any that are better.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies