Your opinion on US military presence in Okinawa, Japan
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:39:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Your opinion on US military presence in Okinawa, Japan
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Your opinion on US military presence in Okinawa, Japan  (Read 1959 times)
v0031
China
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 06, 2010, 06:18:40 AM »

I consider it a hot topic. How do you look into it?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 06:28:36 AM »

Maybe in Japan...but it's not all that controversial in the US.
The Ex-Factor
xfactor99
Viet Nam

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -6.43

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 09:53:44 AM »

Very negative....the history of the Okinawa military bases is a sad story full of exploitation and the continual betrayal of a local population.

I blame the Japanese government far more than the Americans though. Can't expect Americans to know anything about the history of Japanese imperialism in Okinawa.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 09:57:02 AM »

v, what's hot about it now, compared to the past?
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 10:15:30 AM »

We want to expand the base there.  The current Japanese Prime Minister was elected saying that he'd kick us out of Okinawa, but has flipflopped on that promise, hurting his rep and his poll numbers.

http://www1.voanews.com/english/news/asia/Japans-PM-Reversal-on-US-Base-May-Have-Political-Cost-92853194.html
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 10:18:31 AM »

We want to expand the base there.  The current Japanese Prime Minister was elected saying that he'd kick us out of Okinawa, but has flipflopped on that promise, hurting his rep and his poll numbers.

http://www1.voanews.com/english/news/asia/Japans-PM-Reversal-on-US-Base-May-Have-Political-Cost-92853194.html

They say they've wanted us gone for a long time, but we're still there......and likely will be for some time to come.  I can see why it's hot in v's neck of the woods though.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 10:27:21 AM »

They say they've wanted us gone for a long time, but we're still there......and likely will be for some time to come.  I can see why it's hot in v's neck of the woods though.

The Japanese shouldn't have sh*t until the apologize for all the murder they committed in WW2.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 12:24:06 PM »

I disagree with any foreign military presence.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 12:31:19 PM »

I disagree with any foreign military presence.

Roll Eyes

The fact is, our global presence brings us tangible benefits.  Being the only nation in the world with the force-projection abilities to be anywhere anytime gives us a real advantage, and the presence of the US Navy discourages piracy and helps international trade.  American soldiers get to see the world on Uncle Sam's dime, and are a real economic benefit to local economies (just ask anyone ever stationed at Ramstein what the local economy is).  Our "empire" of bases is crucial to America as it is in the 21st century, and I'd strongly oppose any serious efforts to roll back our global presence.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 12:33:19 PM »

We shouldn't have any bases in Japan.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 12:34:37 PM »

The Japanese shouldn't have sh*t until the apologize for all the murder they committed in WW2.

States, c'mon Germany, Italy, Russia, etc., etc..  they all committed atrocities yet we have normal relations with all of them......why single out Japanese (yes, I've read about their atrocities too)?   Plus the same bunch you rightfully hate aren't even in power any more.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 12:36:08 PM »

Unless Japan's position on the map changes we're not going anywhere, period.  Their location is too strategic.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, 12:36:49 PM »
« Edited: May 06, 2010, 12:38:32 PM by The Mikado »

We should have bases everywhere its cost effective and strategically valuable to continue having them.  A strong American presence on the ground beats a fictional missile defense shield any day if you're looking for what the Pentagon should be spending on.

States, c'mon Germany, Italy, Russia, etc., etc..  they all committed atrocities yet we have normal relations with all of them......why single out Japanese (yes, I've read about their atrocities too)?   Plus the same bunch you rightfully hate aren't even in power any more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shintaro_Ishihara

(Governor of Tokyo is a BIG deal)

EDIT:
Understatement of the year (gotta love Wikipedia's NPOV policy): 
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2010, 12:39:01 PM »

Remove all U.S. bases from all locations.

People who support them can go "support the local economies" with their own money.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2010, 01:58:03 PM »

I'm sure most Okinawan girls look forward to the day when they don't have to look over their shoulder from fear...
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2010, 04:16:17 PM »

Well, is there a lot of prostitution?  If so, I support.  If not, I oppose.

I suppose the fact that there is supposed to be a lot of rape suggests an inadequacy of prostitution.
yougo1000
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2010, 05:18:07 PM »

Damn negative
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2010, 05:20:33 PM »

In Germany holocaust denial is a crime, while Japan enshrines Class-A war criminals. There's a difference.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2010, 05:33:50 PM »

Strategically, it's a good place to be.  In reality, U.S. soldiers are exploitive and abusive towards the local population.  I've been to Okinawa and stayed with local families and while they were glad to have us and get to know us, they had nothing good to say about the U.S. military presence on the island.

Any soldier accused of abuse against the local people should be court marshaled, and if found guilty, dishonorably discharged.  Trash like that don't deserve to wear the uniform and I refuse to give servicemen like that any kind of respect.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2010, 05:44:07 PM »

We should remove all our troops and bases from Japan. Also, we should allow Japan to bujild up its own miltiary (and even build nukes if they want) if they're so afraid North Korea or someone else is going to attack them. We needed to have troops in Japan during the Cold War for strategic reasons, but the Cold War has been over now for almost 20 years and those troops in Japan are no longer needed or necessary.
Free Trade is managed by the invisible hand.
HoffmanJohn
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2010, 06:42:35 PM »

What services does the base provide for our military? I am wondering about things like refueling and so forth.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2010, 11:21:37 PM »

Germany and Italy honestly paid for their crimes, IMHO. What penance did Japan serve for WW2, how many of their generals were taken before Nuremburg? Even Japanese schools play apologist for WW2. I agree with your last sentence but correcting the school system would be a big leap forward.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2010, 11:59:06 PM »

If they don't want us there, we shouldn't be there.

On the other hand...three sexual assaults in 15 years?  I'm guessing your average state college has more on a busy weekend.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies