UK Election - Results Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:34:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK Election - Results Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51
Author Topic: UK Election - Results Thread  (Read 81984 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1225 on: May 15, 2010, 09:36:15 PM »

First voting intention for the next election. Wink

Con 38% (+1) Lab 34% (+4) LD 21% (-3). (changes on GE result)
ComRes/Sunday Mirror/Indy on Sunday

Interesting post-Brown bounce.

Only 5 years to go.

Which, based on UNS, would be:

Tories - 291 seats
Labour - 286 seats
Lib Dems - 45 seats
Others - 28 seats

Tories short by 35 seats of an overall majority

Is that UNS from the 2005 notionals or the 2010 results?  And if the latter, do you have a link to that 2010 swingometer?
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #1226 on: May 16, 2010, 05:25:34 AM »

First voting intention for the next election. Wink

Con 38% (+1) Lab 34% (+4) LD 21% (-3). (changes on GE result)
ComRes/Sunday Mirror/Indy on Sunday

Interesting post-Brown bounce.

Only 5 years to go.

Which, based on UNS, would be:

Tories - 291 seats
Labour - 286 seats
Lib Dems - 45 seats
Others - 28 seats

Tories short by 35 seats of an overall majority

Is that UNS from the 2005 notionals or the 2010 results?  And if the latter, do you have a link to that 2010 swingometer?

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/swing-calculator
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1227 on: May 16, 2010, 08:46:59 AM »

Who recognizes what this map is of?

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1228 on: May 16, 2010, 08:52:16 AM »

The thing is - there is no way of knowing how many of those UKIP voters would have voted Tory otherwise. maybe they would not have voted at all or voted BNP? We could also look at ridings where Green party and various other leftwing candidates might have cost labour a seat or two. But in any of these exercises - 1+1 never seems to equal 2.
Well, certainly. (Whether or not the BNP had a candidate too certainly has an obvious effect on UKIP results. Ahem.) But at least theoretically UKIP voters should split fairly strongly in the Tories' favor - certainly more strongly than BNP voters. And the Greens and Respect were a serious presence in just a handful of seats (and it's not clear how Green voters would split as regards Labour/Lib Dem, anyways. Not Conservative, obviously.) I figured this one works just about well enough to try it as an intellectual exercise.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1229 on: May 16, 2010, 09:39:24 AM »

My guess was that it was deposits saved by BNP and UKIP, but I didn't actually check.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1230 on: May 16, 2010, 09:48:42 AM »

My guess was that it was deposits saved by BNP and UKIP, but I didn't actually check.
Correct as usual, sir. Smiley

BNP in Merseyside is interesting. -_-
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1231 on: May 20, 2010, 08:24:53 PM »

Stumbled on this (linky) and thought I'd post it here. Of course all the patterns there are pretty obvious, but surveys on the subject are rare. The regional element to Jewish voting patterns is quite interesting and not remarked on enough, IMO.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #1232 on: May 21, 2010, 10:44:59 AM »

We're idiots, not bigots. Wink
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #1233 on: May 21, 2010, 11:08:58 AM »

Labour still usually wins over 70% of the vote in parts of Liverpool. The only major threat since the 1930s was from Militant... who were even further left Tongue Ah, one of the many reasons I love Liverpool.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #1234 on: May 21, 2010, 11:12:22 AM »

Labour still usually wins over 70% of the vote in parts of Liverpool. The only major threat since the 1930s was from Militant... who were even further left Tongue Ah, one of the many reasons I love Liverpool.

I love that the city swung towards Labour this time round and we still only have two Tories (if you wanna count Wirral West as Merseyside).
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1235 on: May 21, 2010, 11:37:21 AM »

Voting Labour has become something part of the identity of people from Liverpool and surrounds. Labour are also better organised there than most places; which is a very recent development.
adma
« Reply #1236 on: May 23, 2010, 05:25:08 AM »

Do the post-David Alton Liberals (Democratic or otherwise) count?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1237 on: May 23, 2010, 06:27:04 AM »

Do the post-David Alton Liberals (Democratic or otherwise) count?

Other than Alton, they've never been much of a threat in General Elections (despite over-hyped campaigns like the one in Wavertree this year). Though Liverpool was more Tory than most cities until the 60s when it suddenly lurched about ten miles to the left and has kept moving in that direction ever since...
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1238 on: May 24, 2010, 11:31:16 AM »

That's when the Orangist Skilled Working Classes fled to the suburbs and left only Irish Lumpenproletariat behind. Tongue
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1239 on: May 24, 2010, 11:36:09 AM »

That's when the Orangist Skilled Working Classes fled to the suburbs and left only Irish Lumpenproletariat behind. Tongue

Actually it's more that much of the Irish Lumpenproletariat was moved out to places like Kirkby, Runcorn and Skelmersdale, while the decline of the Port of Liverpool meant that the Orangist Skilled Working Classes were suddenly much poorer than they used to be.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1240 on: May 24, 2010, 11:38:59 AM »

Actually it's more that much of the Irish Lumpenproletariat was moved out to places like Kirkby, Runcorn and Skelmersdale, while the decline of the Port of Liverpool meant that the Orangist Skilled Working Classes were suddenly much poorer than they used to be.
And maybe had no Irish on their doorsteps anymore to instinctively vote against?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1241 on: May 24, 2010, 11:48:04 AM »

And maybe had no Irish on their doorsteps anymore to instinctively vote against?

Not as many, anyway. Though I've always suspected that most Orange Voters were pretty old by the 1950s and the one reason for the decline of the Orange Vote was simply Orange Voters dying off.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1242 on: May 24, 2010, 11:52:52 AM »

Not as many, anyway. Though I've always suspected that most Orange Voters were pretty old by the 1950s and the one reason for the decline of the Orange Vote was simply Orange Voters dying off.
...and their kids not following the old habit?

Shouldnt that lead to a more gradual (though just as terminal) decline?
Or I guess the Tory slum vote was highly dependent on a GOTV operation, and therefore just succumbed without a trace when it dropped below a certain critical mass. In which case many with Tory family traditions are now longterm nonvoters, of which Liverpool certainly has unusually many.
Though this year's election doesn't square with that. Liverpool's Labour swing went hand in hand with an above-average turnout increase; other places (Hull, for instance) had lower turnouts than Liverpool this year.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1243 on: May 24, 2010, 12:09:02 PM »

...and their kids not following the old habit?

Obviously not. Though I think it's important to seperate the decline of sectarianism in Liverpool from the decline of sectarian voting in Liverpool; the latter happened before the former. Some things to consider would be the changes to Liverpool's economic structure and the emergence of a fairly strong municipal Labour machine (quite right-wing and linked to unions, as they usually were) in the 1950s. Harold Wilson being Labour leader can't have hurt, either.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Possible. I'm not sure if that's ever been researched, actually. One of the last working class Tory wards in Liverpool was Warbreck; this year they polled 3.8% there.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Since Thatcher, the Tories have been The Enemy as far as most people in Liverpool are concerned.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1244 on: May 24, 2010, 12:21:29 PM »

I'm suprised that the BNP don't have much support in Liverpool or Manchester.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1245 on: May 24, 2010, 12:30:06 PM »

I'm suprised that the BNP don't have much support in Liverpool or Manchester.

They've polled fairly well in parts of North Manchester at times, though fell back this year; a BNP candidate was second and 16% behind Labour in Higher Blackley in 2008 and third and 41% behind this year.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1246 on: May 26, 2010, 08:30:17 PM »

Polls in Thirsk & Malton will open in a few hours. Anything other than a massive Tory win would be a major shock (we're talking East Belfast levels of shock here). If the patterns of the General Election are repeated, the LibDem will finish second. Minor parties might do alright; there's a degree of support for the Wee Free Liberals in parts of the constituency and, you know, fascist farmers do sometimes like them some UKIP.

There's no point in having a seperate thread.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1247 on: May 27, 2010, 08:53:48 PM »

Thirsk & Malton reported to be Tory first, LibDem second, Labour third. In other words, the order seen in all other constituencies like it in the General Election. Turnout about 50%; a record low for that part of the world (lol). But higher than South Staffs. five years ago.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1248 on: May 27, 2010, 09:50:34 PM »

Thirsk & Malton reported to be Tory first, LibDem second, Labour third. In other words, the order seen in all other constituencies like it in the General Election. Turnout about 50%; a record low for that part of the world (lol). But higher than South Staffs. five years ago.

Any signs that the Lib Dems are being punished for the coalition?  (ie a swing from Lib Dem to Labour)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1249 on: May 27, 2010, 09:53:17 PM »

Result in. Yawn. Patterns exactly the same as in other North Yorkshire constituencies early in the month. But we can finish our maps off now.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies