US History Trivia
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 07, 2024, 08:25:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  US History Trivia
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: US History Trivia  (Read 11209 times)
Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
hantheguitarman

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: June 12, 2010, 10:10:46 PM »

Without looking it up, how many electoral votes did Franklin Delano Roosevelt receive in 1944 and what percentage of the popular vote did he receive?
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #76 on: June 12, 2010, 10:10:51 PM »

Who did Teddy Roosevelt support for President in 1884?

Grover Cleveland.

Who was the only person in U.S. history who could have (undisputably) chosen the next President, and in what year?

That is incorrect, the correct answer was Vermont Senator George F. Edmunds. He may have secretly supported Cleveland after the conventtion but we know for sure that he work very hard to get as many delegates for Edmunds as possible.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #77 on: June 12, 2010, 10:13:18 PM »

Without looking it up, how many electoral votes did Franklin Delano Roosevelt receive in 1944 and what percentage of the popular vote did he receive?

53%, and I don't know the electors. I know he got 54% and 449 in 1940.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #78 on: June 13, 2010, 01:30:35 AM »

Grover Cleveland.

Who was the only person in U.S. history who could have (undisputably) chosen the next President, and in what year?

That is incorrect, the correct answer was Vermont Senator George F. Edmunds. He may have secretly supported Cleveland after the conventtion but we know for sure that he work very hard to get as many delegates for Edmunds as possible.

Your question is kinda vague. I read that TR was a Mugwump in 1884, and Mugwumps supported Cleveland in the general election. I thought you were asking about the general election, so that is why I answered Cleveland.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #79 on: June 13, 2010, 01:32:06 AM »

Who was the U.S. President with the greatest average unemployment %wise, since 1945?
Carter?

False. And by greatest I mean highest.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #80 on: June 13, 2010, 01:32:39 AM »

For average unemployment my guess would be Ike- although Im probably buying into the halcyon days myth.

False.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #81 on: June 13, 2010, 06:27:28 AM »

Who was the U.S. President with the greatest average unemployment %wise, since 1945?
Carter?

Truman, with the post war slump?
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #82 on: June 13, 2010, 12:44:09 PM »

Carter?

Truman, with the post war slump?

False.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #83 on: June 13, 2010, 01:34:23 PM »

Roch, Reagan is the correct answer. The highest under Reagan was 10.8% in November and December 1982.

http://www.miseryindex.us/urbymonth.asp

Also, for the yearly average, 1982 is still the highest at 9.7%.

http://stats.bls.gov/cps/cpsaat1.pdf
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #84 on: June 13, 2010, 04:20:32 PM »

Roch, Reagan is the correct answer. The highest under Reagan was 10.8% in November and December 1982.

http://www.miseryindex.us/urbymonth.asp

Also, for the yearly average, 1982 is still the highest at 9.7%.

http://stats.bls.gov/cps/cpsaat1.pdf

I really should have worded this question more clearly. By average, I meant average unemployment for their entire Presidency, not one month or one year.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #85 on: June 13, 2010, 04:57:18 PM »

Grover Cleveland.

Your question is kinda vague. I read that TR was a Mugwump in 1884, and Mugwumps supported Cleveland in the general election. I thought you were asking about the general election, so that is why I answered Cleveland.

Indeed I should have been more clear, but TR actually was one of the few Mugwumps that didn't bolt from the party and he actually debated his friend Henry Cabot Lodge about whether bolting was a good idea or not with TR saying it wasn't. He did bolt to North Dakota and may not have even voted in the election.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #86 on: June 13, 2010, 05:16:29 PM »

Grover Cleveland.

Indeed I should have been more clear, but TR actually was one of the few Mugwumps that didn't bolt from the party and he actually debated his friend Henry Cabot Lodge about whether bolting was a good idea or not with TR saying it wasn't. He did bolt to North Dakota and may not have even voted in the election.

I guess I should research my TR info more carefully. BTW, do you have an answer for my question above?
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #87 on: June 13, 2010, 05:29:35 PM »

Who were the longest-serving Republican and Democratic Speakers of the House, respectively?
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #88 on: June 13, 2010, 05:43:43 PM »

Who were the longest-serving Republican and Democratic Speakers of the House, respectively?

Dennis Hastert and Sam Rayburn.

And nobody still answered my question, which was here before the Mikado's question.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #89 on: June 13, 2010, 07:57:03 PM »

And nobody still answered my question, which was here before the Mikado's question.

Per full year, Obama.

http://www.miseryindex.us/urbyyear.asp
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #90 on: June 13, 2010, 09:10:17 PM »

Grover Cleveland.

I guess I should research my TR info more carefully. BTW, do you have an answer for my question above?

I would suggest the "The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt" by Edmund Morris. Its great work 720 or pages. I read it two years ago in less then two weeks for no other reason then it was just lying around. Smiley

I would guess either Reagan or Truman, probably Reagan.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #91 on: June 13, 2010, 09:47:43 PM »
« Edited: June 13, 2010, 09:51:20 PM by The Prince »

Grover Cleveland.

I would suggest the "The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt" by Edmund Morris. Its great work 720 or pages. I read it two years ago in less then two weeks for no other reason then it was just lying around. Smiley

Wrong, for both Reagan and Truman. I am asking for the highest average unemployment for a President's entire Presidency, not for one month or one year. And Obama doesn't count since his Presidency isn't over yet.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #92 on: June 13, 2010, 09:49:46 PM »
« Edited: June 13, 2010, 09:51:52 PM by The Prince »

Per full year, Obama.

I'm asking average unemployment for a President's entire Presidency, not for one month or one year. Obama doesn't count since his Presidency isn't over yet (though he would be the highest if he was counted).
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #93 on: June 13, 2010, 10:10:02 PM »

Per full year, Obama.

I'm asking average unemployment for a President's entire Presidency, not for one month or one year. Obama doesn't count since his Presidency isn't over yet (though he would be the highest if he was counted).

I have no idea what you are counting.  Ford looks the highest for the Presidency.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #94 on: June 14, 2010, 12:24:43 AM »

Grover Cleveland.

Wrong, for both Reagan and Truman. I am asking for the highest average unemployment for a President's entire Presidency, not for one month or one year. And Obama doesn't count since his Presidency isn't over yet.

You think I didn't know what you are asking? I guessed Reagan because the highs in his early years would bring up his full average quite a bit. I just wasn't sure how much.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #95 on: June 14, 2010, 12:26:15 AM »

Per full year, Obama.

J.J., '82 and '83 are higher than '09.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #96 on: June 14, 2010, 12:31:46 AM »

Per full year, Obama.

I have no idea what you are counting.  Ford looks the highest for the Presidency.

Correct. Ford is the right answer. Using Bureau of Labor Statistics data, I calcualted Ford's average unemployment for his entire Presidency to be 7.78%, ahead of Reagan, who had 7.51%.

Who was the only person to be both U.S. House Speaker and U.S. President?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #97 on: June 14, 2010, 12:34:51 AM »

Per full year, Obama.

Correct. Ford is the right answer. Using Bureau of Labor Statistics data, I calcualted Ford's average unemployment for his entire Presidency to be 7.78%, ahead of Reagan, who had 7.51%.

James K. Polk

Who was the first Republican Speaker of the US House?
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #98 on: June 14, 2010, 12:44:22 AM »

Per full year, Obama.

James K. Polk

William Pennington.

Which President promised the middle class a(n immediate) tax cut, then broke his promise?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #99 on: June 14, 2010, 12:55:50 AM »

Per full year, Obama.

James K. Polk

William Pennington.

Which President promised the middle class a(n immediate) tax cut, then broke his promise?

I have conflicting sources. One lists him as a Whig, the other as a Republican. He switched midway through and was only accepted as a compromise choice to begin with to win over the few remaining whig members. And in 1861, the GOP dumped him for Galusha Grow who in 1862 became the last Speaker to lose reelection in his district untill Tom Foley lost reelection in 1994.

I don't know about your question.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies