Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 29, 2014, 07:46:10 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: True Federalist, Former Moderate, Badger)
| | |-+  Democrats and World Government
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Poll
Question: Which of these are a good idea?
I'm not a Democrat
UN tax
UN military
UN courts
only taking military action with UN approval
UN Supreme Court, to settle world affairs; to the world as the US Supreme Court is to the states
UN elected representatives
pull out of the UN
none of these ideas
Show Pie Chart

Author Topic: Democrats and World Government  (Read 1133 times)
A18
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

View Profile
« on: October 29, 2004, 04:32:51 pm »
Ignore

Dems only (except the first option)

Feel free to post which ones you support and don't support in this thread
J-Mann
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2004, 11:39:46 pm »
Ignore

I didn't vote, since this was for Dems only, but all of the options except for "none of these" was really crappy.

Political Compass --
Economic Left/Right: -2.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.95

It's easy to stand up for free speech when you agree with the speaker. - less so when you don't.
opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2004, 04:01:12 am »
Ignore

3 obviously has no understanding of the UN or of international relations.  The UN is a body created primarily by the US, and its main effect in the post-WWII world has been to increase US influence. 

The essence of democracy at its purest is a lynch mob

CollectiveInterest
YaBB God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2004, 09:51:02 am »
Ignore

What is government?

Do we have world government already? Why does or doesn't the WTO qualify as world government?

What good things could a democratic world government do?

What are your concerns about having a democratic world government?

Visit http://collectiveinterest.net for interviews with Illinois US Senate candidates.
IDS Judicial Overlord John Dibble
John Dibble
YaBB God
Japan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2004, 10:01:36 am »
Ignore

Why does or doesn't the WTO qualify as world government?

I'll take a crack at this one. The WTO is a beauracracy, not a government, though it does have elements of a government. Certainly many governments in the world are part of it, but it lacks some major elements that constitute government - first off it is not sovereign. Not all governments are sovereign, local governments being an example, but even local governments are backed by one sovereign power - only one. The WTO is more of an agreement between multiple sovereign governments, no one government having complete control. The WTO also does not have any way to enforce it's rules - it relies completely on voluntary cooperation between sovereign nations. Also, the WTO has no citizens, residents, or land to rule - only the sovereign nations and the lower forms of government within them do. For those reasons I don't think the WTO is a government.

CollectiveInterest
YaBB God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2004, 10:07:32 am »
Ignore

I'll take a crack at this one. The WTO is a beauracracy, not a government, though it does have elements of a government. Certainly many governments in the world are part of it, but it lacks some major elements that constitute government - first off it is not sovereign. Not all governments are sovereign, local governments being an example, but even local governments are backed by one sovereign power - only one. The WTO is more of an agreement between multiple sovereign governments, no one government having complete control. The WTO also does not have any way to enforce it's rules - it relies completely on voluntary cooperation between sovereign nations. Also, the WTO has no citizens, residents, or land to rule - only the sovereign nations and the lower forms of government within them do. For those reasons I don't think the WTO is a government.

What enforcement mechanisms does the WTO have?

What countries have successfully bucked WTO rulings?

Visit http://collectiveinterest.net for interviews with Illinois US Senate candidates.
IDS Judicial Overlord John Dibble
John Dibble
YaBB God
Japan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2004, 10:13:10 am »
Ignore

I don't know about the second, but the first is easy. They don't have any enforcement mechanisms - they rely completely on the sovereign nations involved to voluntarily enforce things(sometimes on other nations, but the WTO itself has no way to force anyone to comply). If all the nations in the WTO suddenly decided not to enforce any WTO rulings, the WTO would be completely powerless.

opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2004, 10:58:06 am »
Ignore

The WTO is entirely a tool of US policy.  So is the UN for the most part.

The essence of democracy at its purest is a lynch mob

Trilobyte

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2004, 12:21:14 pm »
Ignore

I still think a loose EU-style federation that is the way to go. Individual nations keep their sovereignty but the federal state establishes common market, agricultural and fisheries policy, and streamlined customs.
A18
YaBB God
Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2004, 02:36:38 pm »
Ignore

Do you actually believe your prediction map?

CollectiveInterest
YaBB God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2004, 08:43:25 pm »
Ignore

In what thread would it be appropriate to discuss this?

A18
YaBB God
Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2004, 08:46:06 pm »
Ignore

This one's fine
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length