SC Gov R: Nikki Haley goes negative
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:31:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  SC Gov R: Nikki Haley goes negative
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SC Gov R: Nikki Haley goes negative  (Read 2054 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 07, 2010, 10:38:22 PM »
« edited: May 18, 2010, 05:44:31 PM by True Federalist »

(link - The State)

The Club for Growth has decided to support Nikki Haley.  I like her but I loathe the Club for Growth, yet if CfG was going to get involved in the race, it makes sense that they would support her goven the positions of the GOP candidadtes.  So this isn't the questionable support I'm talking about.

(link- The State)

Rather it's ReformSC, which back in 2008 was Gov. Sanford's tool to attempt to influence primary races.  It's officially has non-profit status, so it can't back candidates in races, but it can tell people all about various legislation it thinks is wonderful or awful, and its current emphasis is H. 3047, a bill sponsored by Rep. Nikki Haley that would require more roll call votes in the General Assembly.  It's one of her signature issues and one of the reasons she hasn't made many friends in the GA.

I happen to think the bill is a good idea, but this is a sneaky way of funding an election campaign.  Haley's campaign is officially denying that they have anything to do with the ads, but the timing is certainly awfully convenient for her.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 10:40:52 PM »

Haley was always Sanford's candidate, and I'm impressed she's managed to maintain her stature despite his scandal (which I thought would end her).

There's no question as to where Sanford's people are gravitating for like 8 months now and I don't think it's really that sneaky at all.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 10:46:35 PM »

It's no sneakier than politics as usual, but it's rather hypocritical for some one who campaigns on being against politics as usual.

Still, it likely means she's gravitated from having a snowball's chance in Hell of winning to a snowball's chance in Purgatory.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 07:11:44 AM »

I've said it before and I'll say it again, she really shot herself in the foot by not aiming lower; the open Lt. Governor seat would probably have been hers for the taking.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 02:19:02 PM »

I've said it before and I'll say it again, she really shot herself in the foot by not aiming lower; the open Lt. Governor seat would probably have been hers for the taking.

Probably not.  I don't think that those who are providing her funding would have done so to the point of giving her an advantage in that race.  Besides, the Lt, Gov. seat has traditionally not been much of a launching post to the Governor's Mansion.  Only three have gotten there by election. (Four if you count Gov. McLeod back in the 1920's, but he'd been Lt. Gov. twelve years earlier.)
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 11:24:45 PM »

I like Nikki, and she's my girl in this race. I just hope Andre Bauer doesn't get the nod. Henry McMaster seems a little lazy as well. I don't necessarily want a guy who sounds like a farmer to be my governor. Ah, well.
SamInTheSouth

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 07:28:52 PM »

I intend on voting for Haley as well in the primary.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2010, 07:49:02 PM »

What's funny is that I would too if I were you, even though she has the backing of all the nuts, at least she's not tied to the problems of the SC GOP establishment.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 09:32:13 PM »

What's funny is that I would too if I were you, even though she has the backing of all the nuts, at least she's not tied to the problems of the SC GOP establishment.

I wouldn't call Romney a nut.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2010, 09:46:42 PM »

I wouldn't call Romney a nut.

Romney was late to the game in terms of endorsing Haley.  He saw Haley was picking up steam and wanted cred among the conservative netroots etc. in an early primary state where the establishment is all behind candidates that wouldn't support Romney anyway
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2010, 10:32:34 PM »

Romney was late to the game in terms of endorsing Haley.  He saw Haley was picking up steam and wanted cred among the conservative netroots etc. in an early primary state where the establishment is all behind candidates that wouldn't support Romney anyway

I saw it more as backing a candidate who wouldn't upset the eventual winner if he guessed wrong.  I do wish someone would release a poll on the governor's race since the campaign has started in earnest.  Haley has gained some momentum of late and might be able to make the runoff now.

However, he endorsed Haley two months ago when the campaign was just officially starting and well before she was picking up steam.  Palin is the latecomer here.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2010, 06:06:10 AM »
« Edited: May 16, 2010, 06:08:33 AM by Lunar »

I thought Romney endorsed Haley in April?

edit: Nevermind, he endorsed her March 16th, exactly two months ago to the day.  
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2010, 07:22:51 AM »

I thought Romney endorsed Haley in April?

edit: Nevermind, he endorsed her March 16th, exactly two months ago to the day.  

Back on April 1 is when he did some stumping for Haley since he was coming here anyway to give a speech at The Citadel, but as you noted, mid-March is when he released his endorsement.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2010, 05:41:11 PM »

Probably could have started a new thread on this, but since the Haley thread was still on the front page, I decided not to.

(link - The State)

Haley finally brought out a TV ad of her own and went negative on all three of her opponents, and not in a fully accurate manner. Worse than that, in the case of her attacks on Bauer and McMaster, she accuses them of things I don't find at all offensive.

Barrett also released a less than stellar ad today pledging to pass a "common-sense Arizona law", but at least that's good old-fashioned throw-the-wingnuts-some-red-meat type ad.  Doesn't make me want to vote for him, but it doesn't make want to not vote for him either.

At this point my GOP gubernatorial rankings are:
1. McMaster
2. Barrett
3. Haley
18. Bauer

But I could still see the rankings for 1,2, and 3 changing to any other ordering of those three.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2010, 05:45:35 PM »

Negative attack ads should almost NEVER be run against more than one opponent unless they are all guilty of the same thing (they're all Washington Insiders, they all took money from some corrupt figure, etc).  Otherwise the messaging gets confusing and the attacker looks mean.  Like, the premise behind most attack ads should always be kind of "Normally I wouldn't launch an attack ad, but this thing my opponent did is SOOOOOO bad, I felt forced."
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2010, 02:13:52 PM »

Impressive. Should be enough to let her make the runoff, but I'm less sangune about her chances of winning it.  I think the supporters of McMaster and Barrett would generally prefer the other over her.  It's shame they didn't ask a second preference question.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2010, 05:48:48 PM »

I really don't understand South Carolina.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2010, 06:56:17 PM »

I just got that emsil today. I'm surprised she has risen that much so quickly. I hope she can hold the lead but I doubt she cam beat McMaster or Barret straight up.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies