1936: FDR vs. Landon vs. Huey Long
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:12:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  1936: FDR vs. Landon vs. Huey Long
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1936: FDR vs. Landon vs. Huey Long  (Read 11877 times)
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 08, 2010, 07:36:54 PM »

Long is not assasinted. He runs for President as an Independent on a "Share Our Wealth" platform. Everything else stays the same. You pick the VPs. Discuss, with maps.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 09:41:34 PM »

I'm not sure Long would win any states, but he'd win a lot of votes in the South.

I feel like I've done this before.
Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
hantheguitarman

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 09:44:25 PM »

With Landon's impotent campaigning style (i.e. Landon wouldn't campaign), FDR would still win a massive victory.
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 10:47:48 AM »

I think everybody is underestimating Huey Long. Long at the time was massively popular. Rooevelt's New Deal was not offering the relief required by America's poor. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Huey Long won the whole thing in 1936. At the very least, he would have split the Democratic vote and handed it to Landon.

Much of the poor still had not felt relief even after President Roosevelt took office, and they felt that he was not living up to his promises. They were rather attracted to Huey Long's Share Our Wealth program, which would have provided relief to the impoverished at the expense of the rich, who was widely held with contempt. Huey Long's program attracted nearly three million followers, and was most definitely willing to vote for Huey Long for President, which was Long's ultimate goal. 

Think about it, if Long wasn't a valid threat, nobody would have tried to assassinate him, and Roosevelt wouldn't have attempted to dig up dirt on him. If Roosevelt hadn't feared Long and Share Our Wealth, we wouldn't have Social Security for instance, which wasn't Roosevelt's idea. You have to understand the contempt being held at the rich during this time period. Long offered to smite the rich, and help the needy.

Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 11:43:36 AM »

I think everybody is underestimating Huey Long. Long at the time was massively popular. Rooevelt's New Deal was not offering the relief required by America's poor. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Huey Long won the whole thing in 1936. At the very least, he would have split the Democratic vote and handed it to Landon.

Much of the poor still had not felt relief even after President Roosevelt took office, and they felt that he was not living up to his promises. They were rather attracted to Huey Long's Share Our Wealth program, which would have provided relief to the impoverished at the expense of the rich, who was widely held with contempt. Huey Long's program attracted nearly three million followers, and was most definitely willing to vote for Huey Long for President, which was Long's ultimate goal. 

Think about it, if Long wasn't a valid threat, nobody would have tried to assassinate him, and Roosevelt wouldn't have attempted to dig up dirt on him. If Roosevelt hadn't feared Long and Share Our Wealth, we wouldn't have Social Security for instance, which wasn't Roosevelt's idea. You have to understand the contempt being held at the rich during this time period. Long offered to smite the rich, and help the needy.

Agreed. Roosevelt was afraid for his career in 36 cause it looked like Long was going to challenge him or run as a third party. After Long was killed FDR won in a earthslide thanks to having a lazy opponent.

I think it would have been a battle between Long and Roosevelt with Landon wining the two states he did win. I could actually see Long winning most and the south, and throwing it in the house with the Reps voting for Long. Long might have won had he lived.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 11:48:36 AM »

FDR-43%
Landon-36%
Long-19%
Other-2%
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 11:51:01 AM »

I don't think Landon would have done so well
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2010, 11:55:08 AM »

I don't think Landon would have done so well

He wouldn't have PV-wise. It's just that Long might have took away enough votes from FDR in several states and give them to Landon.
JRP1994

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2014, 10:28:38 PM »

I was about to post this same question, then did a search and found out that someone else had raised the same scenario. So, I revive it. What say you? How would it have turned out?
MadmanMotley
Bmotley
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.29, S: -5.91

P
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2014, 11:23:41 PM »

I had at one point written a TL where this happened and Landon became president. I could post it if anyone is interested.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2014, 11:26:17 PM »

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2014, 12:29:03 AM »

Applied a CPI conversion for the present. It's amazing how left-wing it is compared to our right-wing politicians today. There's not a chance that Bernie Sanders would touch this platform with a 10 foot pole.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
tarheel-leftist85
krustytheklown
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2014, 04:43:03 PM »

Huey, of course.

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2015, 02:09:27 AM »

Long's influence in his home state allows him a win in Louisiana, though some in his party prefer to stay with Roosevelt.  In other Deep South states, and in VA, Long does have a measure of success, gaining 10-20% of the vote, and beating out Landon for 2nd place, but anything more there is prevented by voting restrictions which affect not only blacks but many poor whites as well. Long has more success in less restrictive Southern states such as NC, where he is competitive with Roosevelt though not triumphant.
While Long finds some support in the North (though very little in New England), his greatest impact comes in the Upper Midwest, and some parts of the West. This is thanks to traditions of populism, and the reputation of his running mate Republican Sen. Borah of Idaho, combined with a major drought in the affecting the Plains, intensifying the desperate poverty of the Great Depression.
In the end a plurality of voters stick with Roosevelt, heeding his call to let him finish the work of his New Deal, but Long gives the Democrats a great deal of worry, while also peeling away some traditionally Republican voters.

FDR (D-NY) / Garner (D-MO)      45.4%   492   
Landon (R-KS) / Knox (R-IL)      33.0%     21   
Long (D-LA) / Borah (R-ID)        21.1%     18
others                                        0.5%
TheElectoralBoobyPrize

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2015, 10:46:22 AM »

I read somewhere...I think it was T. Harry Williams' biography that Long intended to run someone else as a third-party candidate in 1936 and throw the election to the Republicans. Then he would run as a Democrat in 1940 against the incumbent Republican, who, he presumed, would botch the recovery.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2015, 11:04:54 AM »

I read somewhere...I think it was T. Harry Williams' biography that Long intended to run someone else as a third-party candidate in 1936 and throw the election to the Republicans. Then he would run as a Democrat in 1940 against the incumbent Republican, who, he presumed, would botch the recovery.

This. Long was only intending on campaigning for the 1936 nominee and not run, by all accounts.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2015, 03:09:09 PM »

Applied a CPI conversion for the present. It's amazing how left-wing it is compared to our right-wing politicians today. There's not a chance that Bernie Sanders would touch this platform with a 10 foot pole.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Well, the first 4 provisions relating to guaranteed incomes with no special circumstances to qualify and personal wealth caps are extreme left relative to modern America (or really any other time than 1932-38), but the rest of the platform looks like Obama 2012 on economics.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2015, 10:57:11 AM »

Long didn't really intend on running in 1936. So he'd probably back William E. Borah - Burton K. Wheeler in '36 (which would probably get a solid ~25% or so of the vote and a few electoral college votes), wouldn't flip the Presidency to Landon like Long wanted, and force Long to wait until 1940 to attempt to nab the Democratic nomination from Roosevelt.

Long runs as the isolationist progressive against Roosevelt in the run up to the convention that year, but Roosevelt pulls the east and South against him, limiting his appeal to the disgruntled Midwest and plains states. Roosevelt wins re-nomination, Long throws a hissyfit but stays put, biding his time. Unfortunately for him 1944 is a bad year, so he sits that one out too. By the time 1948 rolls around, the country is hurtling toward Cold War with the USSR, which Long, the isolationist, rejects. He becomes something of a Bob Taft within the Democratic Party, railing against the 'Wall Streeters' running the Truman administration and pushing the US toward a permanent war economy, etc.

Probably sits around in the Senate long enough to get tossed out by a segregationist or willingly retires to prevent himself getting tossed out by a segregationist. In the 60s, he might become a kind of cult-figure for the antiwar left, being remembered as the guy who 'stood up to Roosevelt' on domestic and foreign policy.

Or of course, he could lose to Roosevelt in 1940 and take the opposite tack, going full throated segregationist Cold Warrior like other Southern liberals turned reactionaries: Strom Thurmond, Orval Faubus, George Wallace, etc
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies