Should Supreme Court justices have their terms limited? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:43:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should Supreme Court justices have their terms limited? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: .
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 22

Author Topic: Should Supreme Court justices have their terms limited?  (Read 1973 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: May 09, 2010, 06:39:01 PM »

If a term limit were in place, it should be lengthy, and a justice should never be able to be reappointed to the Supreme Court.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 12:38:53 PM »

Why are people acting as if 9 justices is some sort of divinely mandated number in coming up with term length proposals?  It's not even Constitutionally mandated.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 01:33:14 PM »

Why are people acting as if 9 justices is some sort of divinely mandated number in coming up with term length proposals?  It's not even Constitutionally mandated.

I know, but 9 is fine by me.  An odd number of justices is preferable for obvious reasons, and 9 is neither too many nor too few.

I'd prefer increasing the size to at least 12, so that there is 1 Supreme Court Judge per Circuit.

(I'd also prefer realigning the circuits and increasing their number to 13, with a minimal realignment of putting California into a new 12th Circuit and renaming the D.C. Circuit as the Territorial Circuit and transferring Puerto Rico there from the 1st, the Virgin Islands from the 3rd, Guam and the NMI from the 9th, and America Samoa which currently has no circuit. I'd also transferring the D.C. Circuit's jurisdiction in cases that don't really involve D..C., but a government agency based there to the Federal Circuit .)
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies