Office of former Governor Oakvale: Adios, all, and thank you!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:53:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Office of former Governor Oakvale: Adios, all, and thank you!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: Office of former Governor Oakvale: Adios, all, and thank you!  (Read 18682 times)
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2010, 06:24:09 PM »

So, to my own disappointment, I've had to vote against the Pacific ratifying the Intra Regional Mobility Act.

It's a good act in principle, but in practice it puts a lot of unecessary strain on the RG. I've outlined my suggestions below:

Reluctantly, nay, based on the logistics of the inevitable daily state moves.

If it were possible, maybe a proper solution would be to eliminate the states entirely as anything more than window dressing.

In others word, being from Washington wouldn't be any different to being from, say, Oregon. This is, AFAIK, already the case, but the RG is nonetheless obliged to keep track of what state, not what region, someone's registered in.

So yeah, long story short, I'd like to see registration based on region, not state, since states are pretty much irrelevant anyway.

[/two cents]

EDIT: Or, uh, what bgwah said.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2010, 06:27:47 PM »

So, to my own disappointment, I've had to vote against the Pacific ratifying the Intra Regional Mobility Act.

It's a good act in principle, but in practice it puts a lot of unecessary strain on the RG. I've outlined my suggestions below:

If it were possible, maybe a proper solution would be to eliminate the states entirely as anything more than window dressing.

In others word, being from Washington wouldn't be any different to being from, say, Oregon. This is, AFAIK, already the case, but the RG is nonetheless obliged to keep track of what state, not what region, someone's registered in.

So yeah, long story short, I'd like to see registration based on region, not state, since states are pretty much irrelevant anyway.

[/two cents]

The RG himself has said it would not be a problem.

I sincerely hope you will re-consider.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2010, 06:32:15 PM »
« Edited: June 24, 2010, 06:34:52 PM by Oakvale »

[/two cents]

Oh, I didn't see that. That does make a difference, since I was under the (obviously mistaken) impression that poor Fritz had to update every time someone got the idea of moving to Rhode Island or whatever.

I've spitballed a figure of 30 days as a compromise, since, I dunno, maybe future RGs won't be a dedicated. Grin

More to the point though, I don't really see why the RG bothers with state-level registrations, anyway, since AFAIK we don't have anything on the state level in Atlasia.

I wouldn't worry, anyway, there's no way the amendment's going to fail, my vote or not.

EDIT: Franzl beat me to the punch:

I've suggested this before, but why not abolish state registration entirely? I don't see what purpose state based registration serves anymore without the district system.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2010, 06:51:35 PM »

Well, that's cool if Fritz doesn't mind, but I still worry about the pressure it might put on future RGs.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2010, 06:53:34 PM »

[/two cents]

Oh, I didn't see that. That does make a difference, since I was under the (obviously mistaken) impression that poor Fritz had to update every time someone got the idea of moving to Rhode Island or whatever.

I've spitballed a figure of 30 days as a compromise, since, I dunno, maybe future RGs won't be a dedicated. Grin

More to the point though, I don't really see why the RG bothers with state-level registrations, anyway, since AFAIK we don't have anything on the state level in Atlasia.

I wouldn't worry, anyway, there's no way the amendment's going to fail, my vote or not.

EDIT: Franzl beat me to the punch:

I've suggested this before, but why not abolish state registration entirely? I don't see what purpose state based registration serves anymore without the district system.

Well generally it was agreed that maintaining state registration adds flavor and interest, plus we are prepared in case we ever return to a system that depends upon state registration.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2010, 06:38:05 AM »
« Edited: July 09, 2010, 06:49:34 AM by Oakvale »

Allow me to be the first to congratulate Governor Ebowed on his nomination to the Supreme Court seat vacated by Vice-President Marokai Blue. Smiley

Executive Action

By the power vested in me, I hereby appoint Ebowed to be Associate Justice on the Supreme Court of Atlasia for confirmation by the Senate.

Signed,
~PS

Of course, I'd like to urge the Senate to cofirm this nominee. Ebowed's done a fine job as Governor of the Pacific, and I'm confident he'd do a fine job on the Supreme Court, too.

EDIT: Also, because I don't know where else to ask, how does one go about getting wiki editing privileges?
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2010, 10:44:26 AM »

EDIT: Also, because I don't know where else to ask, how does one go about getting wiki editing privileges?

Just PM Dave and ask him. Smiley
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2010, 11:50:47 AM »
« Edited: July 09, 2010, 12:59:07 PM by Oakvale »

Just PM Dave and ask him. Smiley

Oh. Thanks!

EDIT: Great, got that sorted out. Updated my own article a little (ego FTW) and added Ebowed's Supreme Court nomination to his article. Smiley
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2010, 10:08:17 PM »
« Edited: July 18, 2010, 10:10:36 PM by Governor Oakvale »

I, Ebowed, do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the office of Associate Justice and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the Republic of Atlasia, so help me Dave.

I, Oakvale, do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the office of Governor of the Pacific and will, to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of Atlasia, so help me Dave.

Well, there it is.

Yes, in a development that will strike dread into the hearts of good men everywhere, I've ascended to the, er, governership of the Pacific in light of (former) Governor Ebowed's appointment to the Supreme Court
First and foremost, I'd like to congratulate Justice Ebowed on his succesful confirmation, and wish him all the best on the Court. The President made a fine choice. Smiley

Secondly, as Governor I'll have to certify the results of the legislature's vote on the "Ludlow Amendment". Of course, I was personally opposed to the amendment, but it passed the Pacific legislature fair and square, even while failing overall.

If anyone wants to replace me in the now-vacant Lieutenant Governor's mansion, you've got a week to declare your candidacy. After that, I'll appoint a replacement. There's an election next month AFAIK so it's not a huge deal, anyway.

Lastly, the remainder of Ebowed's term expires next month. I'm undecided as to whether I'll seek election in my own right, but rest assured that regardless of my decision I'll serve dutifully as Governor for as long as I'm in office, be it as a mere "placeholder" or something more.

Thanks to everyone who made this thread somewhat active! I'll be continuing to use this, er, offi
Oakvale
Governor of the Pacific [1]

[1] Come on, grant me a little pomp and circumstance. Tongue
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2010, 10:11:47 PM »

I updated the Pacific Wiki pages, and such, so everything is nice and up-to-date. Wink
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2010, 10:11:53 PM »

Ah, in Pacific it's so easy to get a promotion rapidly.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2010, 10:12:27 PM »

Ah, in Pacific it's so easy to get a promotion rapidly.

It's like political musical chairs in this place. Tongue

EDIT: Thanks muchly, Barnes!
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2010, 10:13:39 PM »

I, Oakvale, do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the office of Governor of the Pacific and will, to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of Atlasia, so help me Dave.

Oh dear, my condolences to the Pacific region. Sad

Congrats on your promotion. Wink
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2010, 10:16:09 PM »

Congratulations. Personally I hope you decide to run next month. No Pacific Governor has served less than one term, you know! Smiley
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2010, 12:23:02 AM »

Congrats from one executive to another. Smiley
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2010, 11:29:51 AM »

Thanks, everyone. Hopefully I won't leave the Pacific a charred, barren wasteland. Smiley

BTW, Mr. President, when does the ConCon start? We in the Pacific haven't got a delegate yet, so I'm a-searching for volunteers.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2010, 09:41:20 PM »

Thanks, everyone. Hopefully I won't leave the Pacific a charred, barren wasteland. Smiley

BTW, Mr. President, when does the ConCon start? We in the Pacific haven't got a delegate yet, so I'm a-searching for volunteers.

It starts as soon as all the delegates are selected. I know, not a good incentive to get moving quickly, but so it goes. Wink
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2010, 09:42:56 AM »

I'll make my re-election campaign official.

I'll be seeking a full term as Governor of the Pacific.

I've mulled it over, and briefly considered running for one of the at-large Senate seats instead, but I think I can do good work for the Pacific, so I'm going to run for a term as Governor in my own right when the remainder of Ebowed's term expires next month.

It may be the Pacific, but I've been Governor for like three days, so I wouldn't be surprised if I had an opponent or two, even within the JCP.

I'll roll out some policy proposals over the next few days. Smiley

EDIT: Thanks for the info, Mr. President!
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2010, 12:04:31 PM »

Thus far, you've been a nice, obedient little minion. You'll do fine as Governor.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2010, 12:36:58 PM »

Thus far, you've been a nice, obedient little minion. You'll do fine as Governor.

Oh shut up.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2010, 12:41:29 PM »

Oh shut up.

Who told you to say that?
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2010, 12:53:30 PM »

Oh shut up.

Have I offended you somehow? I merely ask.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2010, 02:23:04 PM »

Oh shut up.

Not beyond just being a tool, no.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2010, 02:54:31 PM »

Oh shut up.

Not beyond just being a tool, no.

*shrug*

Well, um, what can I say to that?

I'm not a "tool" of anyone (or anything, for that matter), but believe what you will. It's a free country region. Smiley

EDIT: I'm assuming that you meant "tool" in the metaphorical sense as opposed to the colloquial...
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2010, 09:20:58 PM »

On the advice of Midwest Lieutenant Governor whateverthehelltheycallitoverthere Kalwejt, I've decided to produce an ad (of sorts) for my election campaign.

Here's me, working hard for the region.

*cheesy 80s music blares*

*runs up mountain*

Tongue
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies